The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Op amp replacement for Echo Audiofire 12
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Op amp replacement for Echo Audiofire 12

Hey y’all, couldn’t really find the best thread for this post so I chose The next best, if you have a better section for me to post this please let me know.

But anyway I have A couple Audiofire 12 converters, one is working fine, the other had a bad op amp that I had To track down and it was a huge pain, but I found The culprit. Long story short I’m going ahead and replacing 24 of the op amps as they are already removed, and I’m having trouble finding the correct IC to buy. I bought 24 of one that i swore was the exact same part number, but ended up being too big. If anyone has a direct link to ANY op amp that would be acceptable (I dont Even need anything super fancy) that would be amazing! I dont Know enough about chipsets to know exactly which ones to get.
The amps in the audio fire are the 2068’s.

Thanks!
Old 8th September 2020
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
Probably less risky and greater peace of mind to let Black Lion do the job for you, and perform extra tweak replacements for the digital converters as well:
https://www.blacklionaudio.com/store...iofire-12-mod/
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Probably less risky and greater peace of mind to let Black Lion do the job for you, and perform extra tweak replacements for the digital converters as well:
https://www.blacklionaudio.com/store...iofire-12-mod/

I just shot them a message to see what they could do, I dont NEED the fancy mod they do but heck, it would be nice to have my first 12 inputs have some snazzy magic lol
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

Jim, thanks for the reply! All the op amps I removed We’re surface mounted.
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joncrowell View Post
I just shot them a message to see what they could do, I dont NEED the fancy mod they do but heck, it would be nice to have my first 12 inputs have some snazzy magic lol
I'm curious...why do you need to replace all 24 when you only needed to replace the single faulty one ?
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

So it’s not “all of them” per se, only about 20. after I realized It was possibly a faulty op amp, I’m not aware of any way to test functionality other than testing for continuity, which they all had. The unit was only 50$ because the people I bought It from couldn’t get it to turn on. So If i could Figure It out then great, but if I couldn’t then it wasn’t a big deal. So I just ran down the line Carefully removing each amp and FINALLY found the one that after removing it, the unit turned on and functioned properly (outside of audio functionality). Unfortunately it happened to one of the very last amps, so I need 20. If I had Started from the other end id only need like 4 SMH
Old 8th September 2020
Lives for gear
Another reason for these units not turning on was a faulty Fireworx firewire card, which Echo Audio used to swap out for free, or replace for a nominal fee...so I hope that wasn't the case with yours, rather than the op amps ?
Old 8th September 2020
Here for the gear

I thought The same thing, that was one of the things I checked during troubleshooting, that seemed to be a reoccurring issue, but I checked Continuity and connections, and overall co Siri on and I seemed Fine. The symptoms almost completely to bad op amp(s)

I forgot To mention Echo ACTUALLY emailed me and sent me a detailed picture showing which amps known to be faulty and which ones MIGHT be faulty. He said unfortunately you’ll have to take them out one by one before you figure it out. That’s why I went That route. Totally forgot to mention that.
Old 9th September 2020
For a 1.5 ma supply current the OPA1662 is a good sub. Far less noise and THD. Also "rail to rail" for greater headroom.
Old 14th September 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for the help guys, I ended Up ordering one I found For 120$ that works perfect. If I can End up finding the time to replace those op amps and it’s works then at least I’ll have an extra 12 I/O, which would be awesome so I could Have some fx from the daw with analog fx sends and returns
📝 Reply