The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Church bells
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Church bells

Any comments besides the rumble from holding the stereo bar in hands (was a spontaneous move)?
quasi ORTF (17 cm, 90 degrees), outdoors, mics at 1 meter from the ground pointed at the bells at about 10 meters high.
Attached Files

Bells.mp3 (13.55 MB, 255 views)

Last edited by DAH; 31st August 2020 at 11:54 AM..
Old 31st August 2020
Should there be a link to a track there that, for some reason, I can’t see?
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by derco View Post
Should there be a link to a track there that, for some reason, I can’t see?
Sorry, the 256 file kbps was to large, had to lower the rate to 192.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

So many bell-o-philes having played back the file but scared the **** out of them to post.
Or maybe I am completely wrong.
Old 31st August 2020
I’ve been meaning to listen to it but when I get in front of some speakers, prob tomorrow now.
Old 31st August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve been meaning to listen to it but when I get in front of some speakers, prob tomorrow now.
I did not mean you, derco, there are about 60 views with no comments whatsoever.
Old 1st September 2020
Well, nice and clear and the level seems right, no clipping, not noisy, bit of rumble like you said, I ignored that 😀
I think that Omnidirectional mics might have given more in the lower frequencies since you had to be 10 metres away and perhaps a more ‘lifelike’ recording, but I’m on a bit of an Omni kick at the moment. 😀
So which mics did you use? What kind of pre/recorder? What is ‘quasi’ ortf?
What is the purpose of the recording?
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, nice and clear and the level seems right, no clipping, not noisy, bit of rumble like you said, I ignored that ������
I think that Omnidirectional mics might have given more in the lower frequencies since you had to be 10 metres away and perhaps a more ‘lifelike’ recording, but I’m on a bit of an Omni kick at the moment. ������
So which mics did you use? What kind of pre/recorder? What is ‘quasi’ ortf?
What is the purpose of the recording?
It was a spontaneous recording to check the wind noise and gain level\mic position in the absence of "real" performers caused by this whole Covid thing.
I was not 10 meters far from the bell tower, rather 20...30. Quasi ORTF as not the 110 degrees angle, not SDCs with a single membrane (as in truly cardioid). The mics were Oktava mk-319 and Oktava mk-220 in cardioid pattern set in stereopair. The recorder was Korg MR-1000, the built-in preamps in low gain mode were used, DSD128 converted and normalized to PCM in AudioGate.
I feel the result is on a dry side, to be expected when the source is outdoors in the outskirts of a town without not many buildings to reflect the sound.
Old 1st September 2020
Cool. The reason I asked about the purpose was because it sounds ideal for using within a mix, rather than as a purist stand-alone recording.
Would be really nice as some kind of intro/outro, perhaps with some filtering and modulated delay 😀 each to one’s own taste of course.
I also do quite a bit of field recording but just to use as effects/samples. Being a bit lazy I usually just use the inbuilt mics but I did make a stereo bar with blimps which has two home built, suspended omnis and I was quite pleasantly surprised with the ‘realism’ of that setup. Conversely those recordings are much more difficult to use a sound sources in a mix.
Anyway, cool stuff, looking forward to hearing more, great Covid era project!
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool. The reason I asked about the purpose was because it sounds ideal for using within a mix, rather than as a purist stand-alone recording.
Would be really nice as some kind of intro/outro, perhaps with some filtering and modulated delay 😀 each to one’s own taste of course.
I also do quite a bit of field recording but just to use as effects/samples. Being a bit lazy I usually just use the inbuilt mics but I did make a stereo bar with blimps which has two home built, suspended omnis and I was quite pleasantly surprised with the ‘realism’ of that setup. Conversely those recordings are much more difficult to use a sound sources in a mix.
Anyway, cool stuff, looking forward to hearing more, great Covid era project!
Since I am a sound stage depth and pinpoint image freak, I like near-coincident mic configuration and find spaced omnis to be more spacious. Probably in this case spaced omnis would sound better. I concur that these bells sound like a mix part, too dry and mono to be exciting per se.
Old 1st September 2020
Wicked for beat making though! Would be great stuff for cutting up in an MPC/sampler.
Old 1st September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wicked for beat making though! Would be great stuff for cutting up in an MPC/sampler.
Might check we be drinking dat bourbon in the soundcloud link in my sig. Made with a bottle of bourbon, mic and mpc3000
Old 1st September 2020
Cool, effective stuff.
📝 Reply