The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ELECTROVOICE RE20 and PL20
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Maniac

ELECTROVOICE RE20 and PL20

Does anyone have any tips on where to get a pair of Electrovoice PL20 dynamic microphones serviced? They are the same inside as an RE20, favoured for radio speech.

They do not sound alike any more. One is bass light. My daughter wants to use them for podcasting because of their characteristic classic radio sound. I contacted the UK representatives of Electrovoice who are now somewhere in Germany, and have got nowhere at all. Sending them back to the States would be costly, but maybe that is what I'll have to do - assuming they have got their act together still.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

You probably need a new capsule, when they die they go bass light. Same happened to my RE20. EV have a one-price-fits-all repair policy, includes shipping to/from.

I am in Germany and haven't had any trouble contacting Bosch/EV Germany (in English) and setting up an RMA with them. Did everything via e-mail, occasionally had to use translate.google.com but only for a couple automated e-mails, you shouldn't have any trouble contacting them in English, if they are in fact your correct service depot.

Have you tried the contact options at https://www.boschsecurity.com/gb/en/contact/ ?

edit: btw I sent my mic to them a week ago so this is all very recent. I have also ordered parts from them a year ago with no issues.
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks Teej.

I had contacted Bosch last weekend and the reply came yesterday from Germany that they could not fix a PL20 - the internal parts are the same as for an RE20 - so that does not make much sense if they can fix your RE20.

Then I contacted a UK pro audio dealer I know well and he told me Electrovoice support in the UK was less than great. We are all accustomed here to the high level of support we get locally from brands like Sennheiser, Shure, Rode, Royer, Sontronics, Schoeps. I may just buy some other new dynamic mics and bin these if I can't find some way to get them fixed.
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Thanks Teej.

I had contacted Bosch last weekend and the reply came yesterday from Germany that they could not fix a PL20 - the internal parts are the same as for an RE20 - so that does not make much sense if they can fix your RE20.

Then I contacted a UK pro audio dealer I know well and he told me Electrovoice support in the UK was less than great. We are all accustomed here to the high level of support we get locally from brands like Sennheiser, Shure, Rode, Royer, Sontronics, Schoeps. I may just buy some other new dynamic mics and bin these if I can't find some way to get them fixed.
...that's wacky, as you said, doesn't make sense.

If you're handy with electronics I think you can order the capsule yourself and install it. If not, instead of binning them I could buy them cheap and I could use them as practice pieces for repair (so far my DIY success is about 50/50 and apparently the capsule is fragile ... that's why I had Bosch repair mine.)

EDIT: Hmm according to this post there was a difference between the after-sales service of the RE vs PL lines, basically the only difference. What's the difference between the EV RE-20 and PL-20? Don't see how that would affect them doing a for-pay fix but maybe it's just something weird with their world-view...
Old 16th July 2020
Lives for gear

I have an RE20 with a dead capsule. I inquired about getting a replacement from Electro Voice USA to install myself - about $300 plus shipping, taxes, etc. I don't know the cost for EV to do the service, but at $449 for a new mic, the point of diminishing return for the repair option approaches... I have not repaired this mic yet.

Last edited by jimjazzdad; 16th July 2020 at 12:32 PM..
Old 16th July 2020
Gear Maniac

Agreed, Jim.
I think Electrovoice has lost interest in 'support' as we understand the term. It might be easier to get them fixed at a friendly dealer next time I'm in the U.S..
Shan't weep into the pillow about it. The mics can go back into the "things that don't work, but don't want to throw away" drawer.
Old 22nd July 2020
Lives for gear
Missing bass is something I can fix - I've managed it with an RE27, as well as a whole pile of AKG D12s and variants. Ping me a message.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Thank you so much for the repairs.
The EVs sound like new.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear
Glad to hear it, Tony. Great to work with you.

All the best,
Chris
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Red face

Just a side note. I remember the days when I was a service tech and I'd drive our EV items under warranty to Doe Avenue in Visalia, CA. I knew everyone there. That's when EV was EV.
๐Ÿ“ Reply