Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear
New miniature shotgun mic from dpa

Here's an intriguing new micro shotgun mic from dpa:

https://www.soundonsound.com/news/mi...microphone-dpa

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/goose...gun-microphone
Old 13th July 2020
Lives for gear

thx for posting! - i'm interested in checking out this bonsai shotgun soon as i'll get a chance; until then, i remain a bit sceptical regarding its directivity and self noise (the latter of which doesn't seem to be unusual for such a small mic though)....
Old 14th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
thx for posting! - i'm interested in checking out this bonsai shotgun soon as i'll get a chance; until then, i remain a bit sceptical regarding its directivity and self noise (the latter of which doesn't seem to be unusual for such a small mic though)....
Agreed about some doubt, for example how small can an interference tube be made and still function as intended ...but dpa are great at shrinking physical parameters and keeping the functionality intact !
Old 23rd July 2020
Perfect boom mic for your Legoman film set!
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear
These are the same polar response as the 4099?

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/goose...ioid-choir-mic

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instr...ent-microphone

Looks identical. I never realized the 4099 was a mini shotgun...
Old 29th July 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
These are the same polar response as the 4099?

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/goose...ioid-choir-mic

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instr...ent-microphone

Looks identical. I never realized the 4099 was a mini shotgun...
thx for posting...

...but wtf?!

either they put in wrong diagrams, plots, specs or heavily somoothed/averaged data (beyond recoginition) or then they are misleading people on pupose: imo a new model number equals a new design or, at the very least, more of the same but with different specs?!

but then, the facto handheld mic has made a similar journey: from facto to facto II to facto again: some things changed, some didn't - not excatly a behaviour i'd expect from dpa (unless they aim at being swallowed by evil b. as well)

i'm confused...
Old 30th July 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
thx for posting...

...but wtf?!

either they put in wrong diagrams, plots, specs or heavily somoothed/averaged data (beyond recoginition) or then they are misleading people on pupose: imo a new model number equals a new design or, at the very least, more of the same but with different specs?!
Well, it does seem to have a couple dB more SPL handling than the 4099 'loud'...

Is anyone using the 4099 as close mics for drums in the studio? I've been experimenting with some AT875R small(ish) shotguns on drums and I love the rejection they get. It looks like the front lobe on the AT is narrower than the 4099, but (if true) the smoothnes of the off-axis and the form-factor of the 4099's looks really useful too.

Also does anyone know if the DPA microdot to XLR is actualy a preamp or just an adapter? I see there are much cheaper 3rd party ones, but I was curious what's under the hood.

Thanks
Old 5th August 2020
AB3
Lives for gear
Interesting, FWIW I love the 4017s.
Old 5th August 2020
Gear Nut
@ RyanC in the 4060 microdot to XLR adapter there is a zener diode and reduction from 48 volts down to what the lav mic runs on, which is something like 5 volts.
Not sure if the 4099 is similar.

Fwiw my 4060's are all wired for Lectrosonics transmitters, when I need to use them hardwired I have the XLR step down converters from Ambient, they work great.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

i have these:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/acces...th-belt-clip-x

they seem to be working with any dpa mini-mics (lavaliers, headsets, instrument mics) i've come across so far.
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
i have these:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/acces...th-belt-clip-x

they seem to be working with any dpa mini-mics (lavaliers, headsets, instrument mics) i've come across so far.
Gotcha-

Any chance you used the 4099D on drums in studio? Poking around here you're popping up in a lot of threads on these DPA's...
Old 5th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Gotcha-

Any chance you used the 4099D on drums in studio? Poking around here you're popping up in a lot of threads on these DPA's...
not in the studio but live - and i hated them!

got nothing to do with the dpa's though...

the thing is this: toms are amongest the most simplistic instruments, historically but also judging from the acoustic model and - most importantly - musically.

imo there is absolutely no reason to use condensers on toms unless you are mick fleetwood or (the late) ginger baker, drummers who have perfected the craft of sounding 'as if a ton of patatoes gets thrown over a
their drum kit' (unfortunately i got no copyright on this quote...)

in jazz, you don't want to have too much sound coming from any mic besides the overhead(s) anyway; in rock, you don't want to pick up the noise coming from the leslie, guitar stacks, horn section, the singer's wedges or even the sidefills... - so really: what's the point?

maybe worth noting that i was paiste's artist relation manager in the 90's and before and since then, i get to work with literally thousands of drummers: to this day, i'm regularly getting called to help them with their drum (and cymbal) sound -and i avoid using condensers on toms like the plague, regardless of mic locker!

besides above mentioned issues, with condensers, you'll need to tweak expanders (don't ever use gates!) much more heavy and mostly need to use more filters: the highly pitched, unnatural hf boost which plagues so mayn modern condensers imo leads to a clicky sound which may help to cut through a pa but yields terrible results in terms of cymbals; add the lack of or the impossibility of alignment to (spaced) overheads and you're in phase hell!

sorry for the rant...

... or what was the question again?

___

ah, tom mics: beta56, sm57, beta 57, m201, m88, md421, md441, e604, e904, e906, e609 (no typo), d2/d4, m80/m81-sh, md100 (?) or whatever - but spare me condensers on toms, congas, bongos, timbales etc.!
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
not in the studio but live - and i hated them!

got nothing to do with the dpa's though...
Interesting-

I'm doing more live in studio stuff lately and I've (in general) really started to like shotgun mics...which also can be great for recording vocals in the control room without headphones- guitar cabs with less bleed, even vocalist playing acoustic guitar- etc, etc.

In any case, I tried AT875R on drums but it can't take the levels, the specs are obviously off on those, or out of the two that I have one distorts more than the other... But with a Rode NTG-1 I've been really satisfied- I get much better rejection than I do with dynamics in general. Especially if comparing eqing either/both (dynamic/ntg) to give generally the same overall response (boost treble on dynamic-or cut treble on condenser)...

I really like the NTG-1 there, except for the size. That's what led me to the dpa's. Definitely the NTG has a narrower pattern than the DPA though.
📝 Reply