The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mic ID for outdoor performance
Old 11th July 2020
Here for the gear
Mic ID for outdoor performance

Hello, all!

I just happened upon a great video of a live performance recorded several years ago in the outdoors by KEXP in Seattle. Of course, the most crucial part of this performance is the outstanding musicianship from the performer, Sturgill Simpson (a Kentucky boy, woo!), but I was equally as impressed with the performance of the mics involved. Just from eyeballing it, I believe that the vocal mic is a Rode NTG-1, and I can tell that the two guitar mics are at the very least using Audio Technica mic clips (I use a pair of AT4022s at work all the time, so I am VERY familiar with what those clips look like). Any guesses on what the bottom two mics are would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to invest more in some rugged equipment for just this kind of performance, and since these sound so good, they'd be a good starting point.

Old 11th July 2020
Here for the gear
After examining this other video from the same performance, I'm thinking I might be right on the AT mic guess for the guitar mics. It looks to me like it would be a pair of either AT4021s or AT4051s.

Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear

Hi there Tuba_Noise!

I'm an audio engineer at KEXP and I recorded these sessions. I'm glad you enjoy our work! Man, I miss Pickathon, such an amazing festival! As you have already said, you are hearing Sturgill here first and foremost but you are right about the mics. We used a Rode NTG1 and a pair of AT4041s into a Tascam DR680.

The 4041's are great mics for the price I think. A nice clean sound, small, light and pretty reliable. We use them on drum overheads and strings all the time at the studio. There was a slight breeze for many of these outdoor sessions and the big Rycote windscreens were unfortunately needed. If you are doing anything outdoors plan on investing in some wind protection!

I have also used 4051's in other circumstances and they do sound noticeably better than the 4041 to my ears, though I haven't compared them side by side. If you can find a pair used they can be an excellent value. They are smoother in the top end and more natural sounding overall. I have never heard the 4022.

The NTG-1 would not be my first choice of vocal mic in other circumstances but it did a good job of rejecting the bleed from the stages not too far away and it's what we had . These cheaper Rode shotguns are pretty boxy sounding in my experience and I always have to EQ out quite a bit of harsh midrange from the vocal track when we use them. I've used the NTG-3 a few times and it's a much nicer sound but more than twice the price.

Here are a couple more videos with the same setup:

And this one is just the 4041 Pair by itself:

-Matt
📝 Reply