The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Six or Softube Console 1
Old 20th June 2020
Here for the gear

SSL Six or Softube Console 1

Hi!
I am considering something and would like to ask for any thoughts...
It is all about the next step in my mixing process after setting the levels and panning - filtering and compression...
And now I am thinking about getting SSL Six mixer and using it for that giving my song its sound and vibe.
I would like to send every track from Pro Tools one by one to SSL, use HP, LP filters, compressor and return as a new track, replacing the unprocessed one obviously. So I would send the Mix Bus (created in Pro Tools session, stereo bus including all my tracks) to inputs 3/4 in SSL (not to process it, but to monitor whole mix) and addictionally the tracks on separate outputs (one by one - kick, snare, hihat, bass, keys etc) to superanalogue in 1/2. In that case I would be able to hear how I change them using ssl filters and compressor but also able to hear whole mix.
So I believe my monitors would have to be connected to SSL now?
Is that setup making any sense? Or should I just get Softube Console 1 and mix in easy way?
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

If you are mixing in the box, the console 1 is great. I was using it when I was ITB and it's quick and convenient to mix that way.
Old 20th June 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticrhyme View Post
If you are mixing in the box, the console 1 is great. I was using it when I was ITB and it's quick and convenient to mix that way.
I just want to try something new, at least to give SSL analog character to my mix if possible... after that will still be using some digital emulations of eq and compressors to give extra colour to some tracks
Old 21st June 2020
Lives for gear

i own the six for about a year and it is great. the routing possibilities are incredible good. but: you can not use the channel comps for tracks with low frequency content like a kick or a bass. it is not the sound, it destroys your track with a kind of self resonance (and not in a moog way).
the eqs and the bus comp are great. the channel 1:2 comps work well for voc., guitar etc.
Old 23rd June 2020
Lives for gear
If it’s just for monitoring you should use the External input, not the channels.
📝 Reply