The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Updated firmware Dante MY-AUD-16 card in a Yamaha mixer - now no sound
Old 18th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Updated firmware Dante MY-AUD-16 card in a Yamaha mixer - now no sound

I was getting really weird jittery, comb-filtering, scratching, synchronicity issue-like sounds during playback from my MacBook, after using the mixer for about an hour. It happened like clock work every day for months. So I decided to update the firmware since I was running one from many years ago. I followed the directions put forth by Audinate and Yamaha, carefully stepping up to the latest, using the correct update managers and not leapfrogging but getting the right firmware updates installed first.

The first update worked ok and it fixed the problem somewhat but it was still there; it just wouldn't last as long and I didn't have to restart the computer or mixer to get rid of the noise.

Well, now - no sound is making it to the Dante card, no meters showing digital audio coming into the mixer via the ethernet cable from the Mac which is running 10.14.6. All the lights are green on the card and Dante Controller shows errors but the lights all show green. It appears to ba an issue with the Network Settings in the Mac mini I'm using. The two errors on the Dante Controller Log that point me toward this conclusion are: Clock Synch Unlocked and Resolution Failed. Both of these events are associated with the device name:Mac Mini.

Any ideas? The DM1000 V2 looks right in its setting for DIO and setup. I'm hoping I don't have to go down the rabbit hole too far to figure this out.

TIA!

Last edited by neve1064; 18th June 2020 at 04:11 PM..
Old 18th June 2020
Lives for gear

Give Brett a call at Audinate. He's the man!

D.
Old 20th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Give Brett a call at Audinate. He's the man!
D.
You’re not kidding! Great response from Brett and fast, too. It turns out there is an issue Apple refuses to fix within their network system. Brett recommended an Ethernet switch or dongle that plugs into a USB port.

I’d like to go the Switch route. He said to make sure to get one where the IGMP can be turned off. Also, Audinate’s manual mentions energy efficient switches can cause issues with synching. Any one care to share recommendations on a switch that has the controls to turn off both of these things? I only need to go from a Mac to the Yamaha; I don’t need a high port count but if only those have the controls then so be it. Thanks everyone.
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

"I only need to go from a Mac to the Yamaha; I don’t need a high port count but if only those have the controls then so be it. Thanks everyone."

I think that someday, you will find it convenient to add devices to your Dante network, and the ease of adding boxes was a major reason that I chose Dante. Really easy to build out a system and add things like monitor controllers, top-tier preamps and convertors, stage boxes, communications, cueing and the like. Maybe not today, but the list of available Dante-enable products keeps growing by the day.

An easy-to-use managed gigabit switch is the Cisco SG350 10-port. Or even go on eBay and find the older model, the SG300. I use the Cisco SG300 series exclusively, although with many more ports than 10 .

Here is the link to setting up these switches, provided by Yamaha, and a pretty straight-forward read.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/cont...ing_sg300.html

Also, consider going to the Audinate site and working through the education needed to get the Dante Level 1 certification. The result is worth the learning curve.

And I have said it aloud and I will repeat myself, I AM a Dante fan-boy. It really works so well.

D.
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

I second Doug's recommendation of the Cisco SG-350 (or 300) series.
Old 20th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
I second Doug's recommendation of the Cisco SG-350 (or 300) series.
The SG300/350 are great switches that take little to no set up if you are using them in a dedicated network. I've installed them in several systems that I have built and designed and they have never given me any troubles.

Another great switch on the lower cost spectrum is the NetGear GS108T. Make sure you get the T version, as the others are not managed switches and don't allow you to disable the EEE settings. I have a pair of these installed in my mobile recording rack and they also work great.
📝 Reply