The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
10 cm wide 100 degrees angle LDCs on ambiance
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

10 cm wide 100 degrees angle LDCs on ambiance

Tried today and compared to yesterday "ORTF", liked it more as more wide, cohesive and stronger center, basically, a compromise between XY and ORTF. Anybody tried this and liked?
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
Tried today and compared to yesterday "ORTF", liked it more as more wide, cohesive and stronger center, basically, a compromise between XY and ORTF. Anybody tried this and liked?
i did try somewhat similar setups but don't like them in general: the further i move away from the source, the wider and more uncorrelated ambis i prefer:

typically i'm using x/y flown high above center stage, ortf at 'foh', very wide a/b at the rear of the room/hall/venue.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear

You might want to try NOS. LDCs tend to perform better when they are not quite so off-axis, so a 90 degree angle may be smoother while still giving you a strong center and a good stereo L/R stereo image.
Old 7th June 2020
Lives for gear

Thanks for responses, so far I have settled for 17 cm due to my fixed holes stereobar and trying other capsule distances and angles, and 90 degrees angle. Under "ambiance" I mean ambient sounds recorded by putting a stereobar quasi-outdoors, like street\yard at hand length off the balcony, not a room ambiance captured by an additional mic pair in a concert hall.

Last edited by DAH; 12th June 2020 at 07:35 AM..
Old 12th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
When you say "Ambiance" do you mean a main microphone rig or an ambient pair to add to a main system?
-m
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
When you say "Ambiance" do you mean a main microphone rig or an ambient pair to add to a main system?
-m
I mean the main pair used to record ambient soundscapes.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear