The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mushrooms in the Royal Albert Hall
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear
Mushrooms in the Royal Albert Hall

https://www.royalalberthall.com/abou...ers-mushrooms/

Is that an early cell phone or just a SPL meter hanging on a strap near his back pocket ...
Old 1st May 2020
Lives for gear

Wow, that's a big meter!

I didn't notice the mushrooms the one time I was there, which was to see Rostropovich in October 1987. Later that same night, the Great Storm of 1987 hit London. I was staying at a friend's flat, sleeping on a mat on the floor in front of a window, and I kept thinking the window was going to break and shatter glass all over me. The rattling window and the sound of trash cans tumbling down the street kept me up all night. The next morning we walked to Hyde Park to survey the damage, so many trees down. I'll never forget it, nor will I ever forget Rostropovich. Can't believe I missed the mushrooms, though!
Old 15th May 2020
Mastering Moderator

They have been there since 1968 as the dome was conceived in less acoustically-aware times. It was actually know for NOT being the best place to go to for a concert before the "mushrooms" were put into service
Old 26th May 2020
It's still pretty awful as a concert hall. I've played there many times and it's so huge you felt like you are the only one playing and it's also hard to hear players on the far side, so ensemble is very difficult.
Old 26th May 2020
The mushrooms help a lot but honestly the last concert I saw there I got two concerts for the price of one (terrible echo). I never realized it was so bad from the ground floor as I'd always been in the gods or stalls.
Old 26th May 2020
Lives for gear
In a battle of architecture or aesthetics (and especially architectural aesthetics) versus acoustics, the former usually wins out.
Old 26th May 2020
Mastering Moderator

Especially true in 1869 when it was put in place. (the Dome)
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear