The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How To Livestream Pro Quality Audio & Video For Praise & Worship
Old 29th May 2020
Lives for gear

AES3 to HDMI (audio only) converter. Is there such a beast?
Old 30th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
And no stock anywhere. Unobtainium. I wonder when this will recover and they can actually deliver. Huge demand. Obviously hot product.
I placed an order within a day or so of the ATEM mini pro being announced and actually got one. If it's something you see as being useful long term to you, my suggestion would be to get on the list somewhere.

To me, the pros are

-ability to visually monitor all inputs with an external monitor
-ability to switch cameras with a button push
-ability to transition with a button push
-ability to record to a USB C device
-built in encoder to livestream
-Fairlight audio processing (as TonyF already mentioned)

Assuming I do a decent job with the audio and setting exposure, switching cameras and making transitions, I'd think this could be a real timesaver to make an event recording and not to have to edit a multicamera video later. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part.

Harry Butler pointed this out probably a couple of years ago, but it's expensive to buy quality tripods and heads needed for making smooth video transitions. Being able to switch between static cameras helps reduce this problem.

Negatives

-there's a delay between HDMI video and direct audio input if the audio is taken from the two audio inputs because of the inherent delay in HDMI video. It would really be helpful if Blackmagic would add an audio delay feature in their software. For now, it's a matter of bringing in audio over HDMI or using another audio device that has the ability to delay the separate audio feed.

-apparently you can edit how a screen within a screen is displayed in the software, but you can't reprogram the control buttons.

Other

-1080p ----not 4k
-I haven't found any source reporting on the accuracy of the timecode if you use BMPCC's with the ATEM mini pro.

BM has created a buyer's conundrum insofar as whether to buy BMPCCs6k versus buying Sony, Canon or Nikon cameras around the $1,900-$2,000 price point because it's possible to remotely control BMPCCs via the ATEM software including color grading. And there would be timecode on the BMPCCs via the ATEM if you wanted to shoot in 4k and do a multicamera edit later.

Is this the future for us? Passing youtube enthusiast craze? What do you guys think?

Last edited by 2manyrocks; 30th May 2020 at 09:54 PM..
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
-there's a delay between HDMI video and direct audio input if the audio is taken from the two audio inputs because of the inherent delay in HDMI video. It would really be helpful if Blackmagic would add an audio delay feature in their software. For now, it's a matter of bringing in audio over HDMI or using another audio device that has the ability to delay the separate audio feed.
Yes video manufs don't ever seem to cater well for separate audio. Audio digital inputs are what is required on these boxes. AES3 would be nice, and of course a delay sync feature in frames or samples.

At present, separate audio has to suffer excessive domain changes, analog out of digital recorder (already had an A/D and D/A) into Atomos or Camera, resulting in another A/D of dubious quality, then it is carried on HDMI to a switcher input. Its dysfunctional with all these different delays and latencies. Proper timecode sync/chase seems the bullet proof way. Understand that's restricted to for the $10,000 and up ATEM switchers.

Quote:
Is this the future for us? Passing youtube enthusiast craze? What do you guys think?
I am getting quite a lot of requests for this stuff now, to sort it out technically mainly, as most of the quality online at present is atrocious and completely embarrassing. Really tired of the lo-res webcam and phone footage in news bulletins now too. Broadcast standards have gone forever it seems.

Bring on the vaccine and lets get back to the concert hall asap.
Old 31st May 2020
Gear Maniac

Re. "AES3 to HDMI (audio only) converter. Is there such a beast?"

I think the only easy instant way to do this is with a workstation equipped with something like https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink
We have one in our video editing workstation and it works fine. Otherwise I think you are probably stuck with going back/forth in analogue. You might have to use SPDIF rather than AES3, but that is no big deal.

Our audio-for-video work is rarely live streamed because of international time-zones. It gets streamed a bit later after being edited together. So we feed 2ch audio monitor mix to cameras to make sync a bit easier for editing. Then we substitute clean audio later after working on it in SADiE or Pyramix. Another advantage in this workflow is that you can record the audio at high-res or even immersive surround in case you want something other than 48k 2ch later for other purposes.
Old 31st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
Re. "AES3 to HDMI (audio only) converter. Is there such a beast?"

I think the only easy instant way to do this is with a workstation equipped with something like https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink
We have one in our video editing workstation and it works fine. Otherwise I think you are probably stuck with going back/forth in analogue. You might have to use SPDIF rather than AES3, but that is no big deal.

Our audio-for-video work is rarely live streamed because of international time-zones. It gets streamed a bit later after being edited together. So we feed 2ch audio monitor mix to cameras to make sync a bit easier for editing. Then we substitute clean audio later after working on it in SADiE or Pyramix. Another advantage in this workflow is that you can record the audio at high-res or even immersive surround in case you want something other than 48k 2ch later for other purposes.
Thanks Tony, all good information. A search turned up http://www.arvus.io/aes-2h.html but it is multi thousand dollars.

The truly live streaming experience is not one I would want to do on a regular basis, and as you say, not so important for international audiences. Don't think we've ever watched a BPHO DCH event live.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 31st May 2020 at 11:42 PM..
Old 10th June 2020
Lives for gear
Interesting youtube video discussing how to control the ATEM mini pro over the internet via a VPN setup for those wanting to control a livestream from their office as opposed to controlling it in the venue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXH9T9-Z0yI
Old 12th June 2020
Lives for gear
Black Magic has released updated firmware which adds the ability for the user to select up to 8 frames of audio delay on analog microphone inputs of ATEM Mini and ATEM Mini Pro.

Old 13th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Black Magic has released updated firmware which adds the ability for the user to select up to 8 frames of audio delay on analog microphone inputs of ATEM Mini and ATEM Mini Pro.

Have procured a Pro, and saw that. Excellent.
📝 Reply