The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Decca tree - ambient
Old 10th February 2020
Gear Head

Decca tree - ambient

Hi!

I am looking for a more mobile lightweight deccatree solution than the grace design spacebar. Do not need to carry a lot of wight... just 3 x schoeps mk2s with balls. Does anyone use this one : https://ambient.de/en/product/microphone-suspension-2/ if so ; what is your experience?
Old 11th February 2020
Lives for gear
You can make your own Decca Tree by cleverly attaching 2x $10 boom arms together...not rocket science !
After you unscrew the 2 arms from each other, they will even fold up (separately) like the Audient
It's not as Graceful as those higher priced alternatives, but likely lighter and more adjustable too ?

Posts 9-10-11 in the following thread >>> Decca Tree Stand

Or if you're feeling particularly cheap >>> Selfish sticks and DIY Decca Tree

Last edited by studer58; 11th February 2020 at 02:16 AM..
Old 14th February 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
You can make your own Decca Tree by cleverly attaching 2x $10 boom arms together...not rocket science !
After you unscrew the 2 arms from each other, they will even fold up (separately) like the Audient
It's not as Graceful as those higher priced alternatives, but likely lighter and more adjustable too ?

Posts 9-10-11 in the following thread >>> Decca Tree Stand

Or if you're feeling particularly cheap >>> Selfish sticks and DIY Decca Tree
Thank you for the link and tips.

I am looking for a safe , lightweight and quick to rig / adjust decca stand. I would prefer a comercial safe product seeing i am rigging over peoples head.

Ambient seems to fit the bill but I can not find any user comments or pictires. ( can not demo it )
Old 25th August 2020
Here for the gear
Hi Eirik,

I was looking for a similar solution for me, using the mk2h set with the KA40.
Finally I built my own using parts originally designed for camara rigs (small rig) and CFK tubes (dia 15mm). One of them I had to treat with sand paper to fit into the rod-mounts, but works fine now.
The counterweight for the center tube I took from K&M. For my opinion it is the smartest solution for LIVE situations, where you want to build up a decca tree on a single stand. My initial setup was from aluminium tubes (Dia 25) and 2 manfrotto 154Bs, but it looked too massive on stage, and there was no
Of course this type is not suitible for M50s or mics of that size and weight, but optimized for the schoeps ccm set.
The camara rigging parts can be used to expand the mount for surround or immersive configs.

Regards,
Salicus
Old 25th August 2020
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salicus View Post
Hi Eirik,

I was looking for a similar solution for me, using the mk2h set with the KA40.
Finally I built my own using parts originally designed for camara rigs (small rig) and CFK tubes (dia 15mm). One of them I had to treat with sand paper to fit into the rod-mounts, but works fine now.
The counterweight for the center tube I took from K&M. For my opinion it is the smartest solution for LIVE situations, where you want to build up a decca tree on a single stand. My initial setup was from aluminium tubes (Dia 25) and 2 manfrotto 154Bs, but it looked too massive on stage, and there was no
Of course this type is not suitible for M50s or mics of that size and weight, but optimized for the schoeps ccm set.
The camara rigging parts can be used to expand the mount for surround or immersive configs.

Regards,
Salicus
Could you post a picture of your rig? I've been looking into doing the same thing with 18 inch camera rods and would love to see what you came up with.
Old 25th August 2020
Here for the gear
my decca tree solution (camera rigging gear, cfk tubes)

Here are my construction optimized for stage.

I'm thinking of drilling the tubes beneath the crossing section to feed the Lemo cables through the tubes. For now, the cablestrips do their work. In the shown setup, the center rod is completely balanced and cantilevers 150cm to the front.

I also tried this with cfk pulltrusion rods, which are extreemly stiff, but heavy like aluminium tubes would be too. Therefore the single counterweight would not hold it in balance, and the 1/4'' screw (mounting the first rod clamp to the stand) could eventually break. So I decided to do it that way and keep it as lightweight as possible.

This parts can be used for any other setup too (AB, OCT an others), extreemly flexible.

Salicus
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear