The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dante with Pro Tools
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Dante with Pro Tools

Looking for input on using Pro Tools Ultimate Native with Dante.
This would include a Cheesegrater with PT 2019 & Dante Virtual Soundcard connected to a Dante interface via ethernet cable.
(I know there's a limit of 32 simultaneous tracks.)
Old 8th December 2019
Lives for gear

Why not.
The DVS is pretty stable, it's a good driver.
If you want very low i>o latency I would suggest an RME dante interface.
I've used the DVS to play back PT ultimate>dolby production suite atmos into a DAD box, worked flawlessly.

Huub
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

I did just this for a short while. I had no problems with the Dante end but so many problems with the Pro Tools/Eucon end that I moved over to Reaper.

Pro Tools in the studio, ubiquitous. Pro Tools on location. A freakin' nightmare. Never again!

D.
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I did just this for a short while. I had no problems with the Dante end but so many problems with the Pro Tools/Eucon end that I moved over to Reaper.

Pro Tools in the studio, ubiquitous. Pro Tools on location. A freakin' nightmare. Never again!

D.
I agree. I only use PT on location when instant post production is needed.

But that wasn't the question ������

A smiley was supposed to pop up there ^
Now it looks super unfriendly.

Huub
Old 9th December 2019
Lives for gear

Well, I answered the first question. I just added some experience-based editorial.

D.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
... But that wasn't the question ������ ...
Huub
Correct. Pertaining more to recording (tracking/monitoring) & latency.
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

So it is NOT a "Locations" question? Studio on a Dante network? Doesn't belong on this forum. If you are talking about using PT on location, I answered the most important question of all. Don't do it.

D.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by aremos View Post
Correct. Pertaining more to recording (tracking/monitoring) & latency.
DVS latency is too high for studio monitoring. It is perfectly fine for mixing.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Guru

if you have a Dante enabled interface, I thought you just had to use the Dante console. DVS wasn't needed in that case was my understanding. so in a case such as that, the latency of the system was then related to the soundcards latency. using DVS would just add latency for no real purpose. unless I'm missing something
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
if you have a Dante enabled interface, I thought you just had to use the Dante console. DVS wasn't needed in that case was my understanding. so in a case such as that, the latency of the system was then related to the soundcards latency. using DVS would just add latency for no real purpose. unless I'm missing something
This is correct.

The OP needs to specify what it is that he's connecting here.

A Dante enabled interface won't need DVS. You use DVS when connecting a computer to a Dante enabled network, which already has other Dante interfaces on it.

Example 1 : You use DVS on a Dante network with Yamaha RIOs and a CL5 console to record the i/o feeds from the RIO box directly to Protools (or any other DAW).

Example 2: You use a Focusrite Red 8 Pre to record to Protools via the included Thunderbolt or Mini Digilink cable, with the Red 8 Pre connected to the Dante network. No need for DVS.

I've done it both ways. They both work. Just depends on what your work flow and gear set up is. I feel like using a Dante enabled interface is more stable than using DVS. I've had some really odd problems with DVS crashing and causing errors that I was not able to correct. But that was a couple of years ago.

I own 2 separate DVS licenses, as well as a Dante-VIA license, and a Focusrite Red 8 Pre, and other more traditional USB interfaces (Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB and Roland OctaCapture), and an Audinate AVIO USB. I like the Red 8Pre with HD Native the best. It feels the most stable and has the highest i/o count without having to move to multiple HDX cards.
Old 11th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
This is correct.

The OP needs to specify what it is that he's connecting here.

A Dante enabled interface won't need DVS. You use DVS when connecting a computer to a Dante enabled network, which already has other Dante interfaces on it.

Example 1 : You use DVS on a Dante network with Yamaha RIOs and a CL5 console to record the i/o feeds from the RIO box directly to Protools (or any other DAW).

Example 2: You use a Focusrite Red 8 Pre to record to Protools via the included Thunderbolt or Mini Digilink cable, with the Red 8 Pre connected to the Dante network. No need for DVS.

I've done it both ways. They both work. Just depends on what your work flow and gear set up is. I feel like using a Dante enabled interface is more stable than using DVS. I've had some really odd problems with DVS crashing and causing errors that I was not able to correct. But that was a couple of years ago.

I own 2 separate DVS licenses, as well as a Dante-VIA license, and a Focusrite Red 8 Pre, and other more traditional USB interfaces (Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre USB and Roland OctaCapture), and an Audinate AVIO USB. I like the Red 8Pre with HD Native the best. It feels the most stable and has the highest i/o count without having to move to multiple HDX cards.
yeah that all pretty much makes sense to me. I got Dante Via mainly just to have other running applications on my computer be able to integrate their audio IO with my DAW. and also partly as part of an investigation into Dante. because of Dante’s range of applications, these can be interpreted or misinterpreted equally as easily.

so one example for a DVS use case is. you have a laptop and you want to transfer or stream multichannel from your DAW, to someone who has a Dante enabled system. whatever that system is it shouldn’t matter. so as long as you have DVS on that laptop you can do it. but it should at least on your end (or maybe then on BOTH ends, which is the part you would have to be careful about) you will then incur a 10ms latency in at least, your part of the Dante system.

that is because laptops do not have the ability to have a Dante card inside them. but .. if you had say, an RME USB Dante soundcard attached to the laptop, the Latency would be based on the low latency performance of the RME. in which case, you probably wouldn’t even need DVS, because the ethernet on the RME card would make that RME card, be not only a low latency RME card, but also a Dante enable card + an RME USB interface.

but if you just had the ethernet of the laptop computer connected to the Dante network, and no RME in that example, you could still connect using DVS. but the latency increases by 10ms. you could stream Audio into the Network or transfer multitrack to someone else’s computer and then unhook from the network. then their Dante system would revert back to its own high performance latency. so one question I’m unsure about, is wether or not that laptop slows down a whole Dante system, or just your part of it, when connected with the Dante network under DVS. other than that, you shouldn't run DVS. because it would just add latency.
Old 11th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
... The OP needs to specify what it is that he's connecting here. A Dante enabled interface won't need DVS. You use DVS when connecting a computer to a Dante enabled network, which already has other Dante interfaces on it.
Thanks for the info!
The interface would be the Apogee Symphony II Dante + Pro Tools | HD

On a cheesegrater (Mac Pro 2012 5,1):
Originally idea was to TRACK to PT 10 (HD Accel hardware) on a Mavericks drive & MIX from PT 2019.10 Native on a Sierra drive via ethernet cable.

Now I'm curious if it's possible to record into the PT Ultimate on the Sierra drive & if there are issues like latency.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search