The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
overcoming filesize limitations for remote recording
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
overcoming filesize limitations for remote recording

For those here mad enough to use a computer for location recording, what steps do you take to overcome filesize limitations when generating wav's ? I record with Reaper to a 64 bit Macbook Pro, at either 88.2 or 96k, and for a typical concert it doesn't take long to reach the 4GB limit.

Reaper seamlessly stops the current file at the limit size point, and creates a new one, with apparently no audible discontinuity between old and new files....but if I could stop this altogether I'd prefer that. creating stereo files (paired mics) just compounds the problem, esp at high sample rates...

Is it as simple as unticking the box in Preferences > Recording which says "Start new file after XXX MB" ...or perhaps selecting a different type of file which doesn't have this size limitation eg BWF WAV64 RF64 etc ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

i've been using a pc as my main recording platform for ages and i could be using rf64 to record large files in nuendo...

... yet i don't see much of a problem as long as the recording doesn't stop: bwf files can easy be imported to the correct position in the timeline - and don't you cut files into tracks anyway?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
One of the hidden presets (discovered later) was that Reaper auto generated a new file every 1GB...without a recording stop or cross fade of any sort, so it's quite benign. This happened every 33 mins, with a simple stereo mic pair concert recording. Now that I'm aware of that I can simply reconfigure it to a higher number...but if recording a concert multitrack at 88.2 or 96 it doesn't take long to reach such limits ! I prefer not to stop the recording manually at every movt break to manually create a new file...too risky.

Probably bwf or rf64 is the solution....are there any advantages (or otherwise) to recording these vs regular wav's ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I may be wrong but I think the file splitting is a WAV thing, not a Reaper thing or a computer thing. AFAIK even standalone recorders like the 788t or MixPre series split WAV files at 4GB. It’s never been an issue for me at all.

-Mike

Last edited by celticrogues; 1 week ago at 01:34 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
I may be wrong but I thinkthe file splitting is a WAV thing, not a Reaper thing or a computer thing. AFAIK even standalone recorders like the 788t or MixPre series split WAV files at 4GB. It’s never been an issue for me at all.

-Mike
Yes I'm sure that's what's occurring under the hood, and if the break/transition occurs transparently and invisibly then it's not a problem. However, generating fewer discrete files per concert recording is probably a desirable thing !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

4gb’s at 96/24 mono is ~ 4 hours per file

One concert I was stuck by the recorder I was using with poly files, so I did a start/stop cycle between pieces. It was, when flying blind, a bit harrowing
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
4gb’s at 96/24 mono is ~ 4 hours per file

One concert I was stuck by the recorder I was using with poly files, so I did a start/stop cycle between pieces. It was, when flying blind, a bit harrowing
Where would a stereo file fit into that reckoning, as often used for main pairs, outriggers or any number of 2-mic spots (piano, woodwinds etc)...would it halve the time available per file ?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Where would a stereo file fit into that reckoning, as often used for main pairs, outriggers or any number of 2-mic spots (piano, woodwinds etc)...would it halve the time available per file ?
Half yes.

Google:

96khz file size calculator

The Audio Archive site has a calculator
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those here mad enough to use a computer for location recording, what steps do you take to overcome filesize limitations when generating wav's ? I record with Reaper to a 64 bit Macbook Pro, at either 88.2 or 96k, and for a typical concert it doesn't take long to reach the 4GB limit.

Reaper seamlessly stops the current file at the limit size point, and creates a new one, with apparently no audible discontinuity between old and new files....but if I could stop this altogether I'd prefer that. creating stereo files (paired mics) just compounds the problem, esp at high sample rates...

Is it as simple as unticking the box in Preferences > Recording which says "Start new file after XXX MB" ...or perhaps selecting a different type of file which doesn't have this size limitation eg BWF WAV64 RF64 etc ?
If Reaper creates seamless splits, why bother trying for larger files?
I’ve been recording with 788’s that split at 4GB
(or smaller if set that way). It’s easy enough to use Wave Agent to split the polywav into mono and stereo tracks and then line them up in a DAW.

Remember too, if you go for larger file sizes there’s
more to lose if a file is corrupted.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

The 4GB file size is determined by the specification that Microsoft and IBM wrote for the Waveform Audio File Format (.wave, .wav) back in 1991. The wav file size limit is dictated the use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header. At the time, 6.8 hours of music at 44.1/16 was deemed more than adequate. I record at a maximum of 96/24 and I have never needed to record for longer than two hour limit for a 24/96 stereo wav file - most orchestral pieces are considerably shorter than this. Even Wagnerian opera has intermissions on at least two hour intervals. But even so, if longer recording is required, the 'seamless' creation of sequential new files when the 4GB maximum size is reached seems like a workable solution.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

FWIW, I have had some problems on my 788T being clocked via WC and having an audible "click" or "pop" when the 2GB size I had selected rolls over into a new file. I started clocking my 788T with AES over one of the digital pair (as opposed to using the WC BNC) and the problem went away. I also increased my max file size to 4GB which is pretty safe for most of the jobs I do, so I don't worry about it now, although the discovery of the flaw made me pretty crazy for a few jobs. SD had no explanation. Izotope RX fixed it but it was a bummer.

D.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Cubase can record to RF64 files which gets past this limit - it can also mix down to wave64, I presume other DAWs have similar support - hit your manual!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Cubase can record to RF64 files which gets past this limit - it can also mix down to wave64, I presume other DAWs have similar support - hit your manual!
Reaper says:

Readable formats:
ACID, AIFF, AVI, BWF, CDDA, EDL, FLAC, KAR, MIDI, MOGG, MOV, MP3, MPEG, OGG VORBIS, OGG OPUS, QT, RADAR, REX2, SYX, W64, WAV, WAVPACK, WMV
Writeable formats
AIFF, AVI, BWF, CD ISO (CUE/BIN), FLAC, MIDI, MOV, MOGG, MP3 (with freely available encoder), OGG VORBIS, OGG OPUS, W64, WAV, WAVPACK
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
The 4GB file size is determined by the specification that Microsoft and IBM wrote for the Waveform Audio File Format (.wave, .wav) back in 1991. The wav file size limit is dictated the use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header. At the time, 6.8 hours of music at 44.1/16 was deemed more than adequate. I record at a maximum of 96/24 and I have never needed to record for longer than two hour limit for a 24/96 stereo wav file - most orchestral pieces are considerably shorter than this. Even Wagnerian opera has intermissions on at least two hour intervals. But even so, if longer recording is required, the 'seamless' creation of sequential new files when the 4GB maximum size is reached seems like a workable solution.
As Doug has discovered here, auto-save in Reaper seems to be virtually instantaneous ....so perhaps specifying an optimal file size (and erring on the long side) isn't necessary ?

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=223368&

Also, here is some GS discussion on RF64 files as storage: Do you use RF64?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Reaper says:

Readable formats:
ACID, AIFF, AVI, BWF, CDDA, EDL, FLAC, KAR, MIDI, MOGG, MOV, MP3, MPEG, OGG VORBIS, OGG OPUS, QT, RADAR, REX2, SYX, W64, WAV, WAVPACK, WMV
Writeable formats
AIFF, AVI, BWF, CD ISO (CUE/BIN), FLAC, MIDI, MOV, MOGG, MP3 (with freely available encoder), OGG VORBIS, OGG OPUS, W64, WAV, WAVPACK
"W64" Bingo - presumably wave64 - that should do the trick.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search