The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MixPre-10 II vs lugging studio rig
Old 12th December 2019
Gear Guru
If that's a problem that's a big deal, I use an external preamp UA 610 on mine and am not tech minded so don't know how to check for that kinda stuff!.... Would like to hear more and really appreciate the research.... Their support is stellar so should be all over it when alerted.....
Old 12th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo View Post
You might be able to reproduce it by connecting a mic through an external preamp to the line input of a mixpre. Whether this is an isolated case or a general issue with the mixpre series, only further testing would clarify.

Its not a general issue, as I don't see this on mine using the onboard pres.

The external preamp, can then not be ruled out of the issue you speak of.
Old 12th December 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Its not a general issue, as I don't see this on mine using the onboard pres.

The external preamp, can then not be ruled out of the issue you speak of.
The current discussion is about a potential 'general' issue concerning only the line inputs of the mixpre. I apologise for the confusion.
Old 5th January 2020
Gear Maniac

OK, I bought a MixPre 10-II. Here's a little snippet from soundcheck for a recording (I can't post anything longer owing to record label). The piano is a Stuart & Sons. Microphones are MKH8040 pair close, DPA 4006 pair distant, and one of a CMC6MK4 pair at the tail end (panned centre). Reverb is a M7. There is a little EQ but (rolling off some lows, high shelf).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4uk9mkypg...Z1n7iDDja?dl=0

Edit: put in a version with no EQ.

Last edited by lukehatpadl; 6th January 2020 at 07:11 AM..
Old 5th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by profondo View Post
The current discussion is about a potential 'general' issue concerning only the line inputs of the mixpre. I apologise for the confusion.
What is plugged into the "line" input, a mic pre??

Ive tried my MP6 with a Grace M101, no issues at all.

Try another device to input. Like a tone generator.
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Guru
This needs to be addressed as it is a big deal. Is there a hf problem or not?
Is it a Mix Pre thing or the external preamp?! If you claim there is a problem it needs to be defined...
Old 6th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukehatpadl View Post
MixPre 10 will do me for solo piano
So would a Mixpre 3 for less money. I record solo playing on my piano all the
time with my Mixpre 3. I'm very happy with the results.
Old 6th January 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cibley View Post
So would a Mixpre 3 for less money. I record solo playing on my piano all the
time with my Mixpre 3. I'm very happy with the results.
Likewise happy with the results. I need more channels though
Old 25th June 2020
This is a slightly old thread but someone suggested I check out the Sound Device MixPre-10 II in reply to a question I asked in this thread

Microphones for Acoustic Instruments (with a twist)

has anyone used it with either the Music plugin or a plugin controller?
I'm just wondering how much easier this would make it to use for music recording?
Old 25th June 2020
Lives for gear
I do sometimes use my MixPre 6 with the music plugin. If you want high quality, dead simple recording this is pretty close. I don’t bother using the MixPre as an interface, anymore much. In that case I’m using my Pro Tools MTRX. If I were going to buy another MixPre [something I am considering] I would buy the MixPre 10 II and likely run it in 32-bit float mode every single time. Hoping they add that functionality to the Scorpio someday soon.

Best wishes,

Ray H.
Old 26th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
If I were going to buy another MixPre [something I am considering] I would buy the MixPre 10 II and likely run it in 32-bit float mode every single time. Hoping they add that functionality to the Scorpio someday soon.

Just listened to an interview with Paul Isaacs, Director of Product Management and Design at Sound Devices and he said that 32 bit float mode is not available if using it in the music mode with the plugin.
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchard View Post
Just listened to an interview with Paul Isaacs, Director of Product Management and Design at Sound Devices and he said that 32 bit float mode is not available if using it in the music mode with the plugin.
That may be an old interview? If my memory serves he later stated that 32 bit float is supported now via a firmware update. Search GS forums or look at release notes. . .seems like months ago?

Ray H.
Old 26th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath View Post
That may be an old interview? If my memory serves he later stated that 32 bit float is supported now via a firmware update. Search GS forums or look at release notes. . .seems like months ago?

Ray H.
After posting the above I did email Sound Devices Support and they replied, almost instantly, that

"In Musician Mode, only 24-bit recording is available at 48kHz and 96kHz. 32-bit float is not available in Music projects."
Old 26th June 2020
Lives for gear
Likely I got confused with added support of 32-bit float when using as an interface to a DAW?

Apologies

Ray H.

Thanks for the quick correction.
Old 10th July 2020
I'd happily choose a MixPre10 over 788T in almost all situations.

Even a Zoom Livetrack L8 is worth a consideration if on a tight budget, put the saved money into better mics and sound blankets instead!
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Maniac

OP here – if anyone's interested, the recordings I made with the MixPre 10-II I eventually ended up buying can be streamed here. Short answer: the piano and the room (neither of which were ideal) had a much greater bearing on the recording than the microphones or recorder. As one might expect
📝 Reply