The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Water loaded boom weights
Old 4th November 2019
Lives for gear

Water loaded boom weights

Anyone using water loaded boom weights such as:
https://www.amazon.com/UTEBIT-Collap...ronics&sr=1-14

I have a couple of 7 foot booms attached to Impact Heavy-Duty Air-Cushioned Light Stands. The stand will be at maximum height (9.5 feet) and the boom fully extended, but the load on the boom is not great (DPA 4011).This is for live-before-an-audience remote recordings (spot micing a choir in a orchestra plus choir concert).

I am attracted to the water loaded weights because they would lessen the load in/out (fill them on site), the capacity is right for my needs, and the cost is reasonable. I am concerned about how well they hold up- it would not be cool to have them leak (or, worse, rupture) during the concert.

So, any experience with this sort of weight- good or bad?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Water loaded boom weights-boom-weight.jpg  
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear
I take it this is intended to go on the free end of the boom arm, and not at the base of the mic stand ? It certainly looks like it would do the job, but is it perhaps not overkill...considering the small weight of the mic it's intended to counterbalance....not to mention the visual distraction of its considerable size (at a concert) ?

This could be an alternative, as it tends to hug the boom arm more closely, and is less visually significant: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s.html/reviews
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you, Studer for your reply.

I should clarify two points. The stands will not be seen by the audience (but the booms will be). The stands are positioned behind the choral riser, with the boom extending over the choir. The second point is that, with the boom extended over the choir, I want to make sure there are no accidents, hence the seeming overkill. I've been using ankle weights (which hang from a hook at the base of the boom), but I am tired of lugging them around.

The On-Stage Counterweight is a nice piece of kit, but has a couple of drawbacks for my app. First, I would still have to lug them to and fro; second, positioning it on the boom takes up about a half foot of boom (and I need all the boom length I can get); and, ya, 6 pounds my not make keep me from worrying.
Old 6th November 2019
Engagement Manager

I think the water weights would be fine though I’m personally not a fan of them for risk of splitting (never seen this happen) and the hassle of filling them (even on site)

The ones linked above are great counter weights and small enough to be easy to fit and barely visible once attached. It also makes moving/adjusting the stands less of a challenge

As mentioned the mics themselves won’t factor in much in terms of what weight you need so it will be the arm length itself that dictates how much you need to counter it
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear
I can see that since you're coming from behind the singers (rather than from the more visible front side) you can afford to use the water bag idea, since they won't be seen

A couple of possible alternatives you may not have thought of...

You could perhaps substitute the existing boom pole with one that's simply longer, which would put the counterweight/leverage factor back in your favour....as you would then be able to use less weight for the same counterbalance effect ( and you could move the stand further back, and/or also get extra mic height as a result of the added length ?)

Also, I've done this simply by substituting a 5/8" diam aluminium hollow pole of 2x the length of the existing steel boom, and then cut a 5/8 thread for the mic holder into the end of it. The huge saving in weight is well worth it, esp if it's just supporting an SD mic. Often the need for a counterweight such as yours is mainly to combat the weight of the existing boompole !

If the floor is wooden boards, would you be able to drive a Tek screw into it and attach a chain to the end of the boom pole....and fasten the other end of the chain to the floor via the screw ? If you've also used a long boom pole as above, the chain will be short, as the pole-end won't be far from the floor.

However if the floor is non timber, or can't be marked in this way, then this latter approach can't be used...
Old 6th November 2019
Lives for gear

I'm using these with great success: Going tall

When a boom needs a really heavy weight I'll put a bunch of plastic bottles in a linen bag and hook it up. Having smaller compartments in a larger volume warrants that no waves will occur and make the volume unstable.
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Maniac

great idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
I'm using these with great success: Going tall

When a boom needs a really heavy weight I'll put a bunch of plastic bottles in a linen bag and hook it up. Having smaller compartments in a larger volume warrants that no waves will occur and make the volume unstable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search