The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
monitoring multiple actors performing on different stages
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

monitoring multiple actors performing on different stages

i'm currently mixing a theater play with just four actors and four musicians (and a dancer) in a 750-year old church (which showed one of europe's most famous 'danse macabre' in the middle ages) - the tricky thing is that they all play simultanously but in different areas which i cannot see from a central mix position.

for speech intelligibility in the reverberant church, the actors wear headsets. i'm providing four different mixes to a sennheiser tourguide headphone system and everyone in the audience gets a headphone - the audience gets split into four groups; i'm routing mixes to four outputs and swap them whenever the audience moves to another scene (so each group can stay on their channel all the time without the need to switch). there's also a pa for ampification of softer instruments.

no time code running, i have to dynamically adjust levels, blend in and fade out additional sources (instruments, playback, ambient mics). i'm therefore continuously monitoring all actors on headphones - which is kinda fun as the scences do not relate to each other directly but also takes a lot of focus/energy/concentration, trying to hear what's going on where...

anyone with a somewhat similar experience and willing to share some details on his/her approach?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Sounds pretty crazy, and like you're doing your best!

If monitors instead of headphones were ok, you could have four arranged around you to use as a positional cue.

Could do similar with panning.

Or perhaps work like a monitor engineer solo'ing each mix.

That's about all I got!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Sounds pretty crazy, and like you're doing your best!

If monitors instead of headphones were ok, you could have four arranged around you to use as a positional cue.

Could do similar with panning.

Or perhaps work like a monitor engineer solo'ing each mix.

That's about all I got!
indeed somewhat crazy... - absolutely no monitors possible (i got two flute players right in front of me), headphones all night long.

but yes, i'm using panorama according to the actors positions inside the church and i'm either listening to inputs or buses (on an old dm1000).
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

...and here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
monitoring multiple actors performing on different stages-09-20191112_210110.jpg   monitoring multiple actors performing on different stages-09-20191112_210132.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Whoa sounds cool.

I wonder if you could use something like the Waves Abbey Road plug-in to do a virtual surround mix in your headphones, and that way you could position each source where it really physically occurs.

The Waves plugin supports head tracking too via a Bluetooth attachment so that when you turn your head the source you turn to appears louder etc.

-Mike
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues View Post
(...) you could use something like the Waves Abbey Road plug-in to do a virtual surround mix in your headphones, and that way you could position each source where it really physically occurs.

The Waves plugin supports head tracking too via a Bluetooth attachment so that when you turn your head the source you turn to appears louder etc.
thx for your suggestions; i can imagine they'd be very useful in some situations - in my case, both are not really needed though:

i'm mixing on a yamaha dm1000 (seemingly equally old as the church but still does a very decent job) and monitor via afl so i can easily hear actors in the correct pan position of the stereo soundfield.
my mix position is on the gallery which is in the middle of the church, separating the large room and i'm looking sidewards; two actors are at each end (far left and right from my perspective) and two are to the left and right of the gallery.

your second suggestion would be useful if i'd need to automatically follow actors; it however would be disturbing in my case as i need to constantly monitor all of them and adjust levels in case one would be too soft in order to be understood.

even though i'm on the gallery, i cannot see the actors (as it's rather dark and only parts of each scene get some light - btw: the audience follows the light) and there is no interaction between them: they play their scene four times and a quarter of the audience just moves from scene to scene.
there is some interaction between actors and musicians (and two people randomly chosen from the audience) in each scene though - this and the fact that musicians move between the four positions and the gallery for an interlude (while the audience is moving along and finally come together for the final danse macabre) makes things rather demanding - but also very interesting!

here a link to the church and a pic - my mix position is on the left side on the gallery, ca. 4m above ground floor, looking towards one of the organs.

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predigerkirche_(Basel))
Attached Thumbnails
monitoring multiple actors performing on different stages-20191115_124244.jpg  
Old 2 days ago
Super Moderator

I took the liberty to adjust your two images.

I trust you are okay with this.

90 CW plus some tweaks got you your updated images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...and here are a few pics:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search