The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices 888
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Lives for gear
Sound Devices 888

I'm assuming this must be the successor to the 788 (no longer listed in Gotham's product line ?)

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/...-order-deposit

User guide here: https://gothamsound.us3.list-manage....6&e=ec44506e13

Couldn't help but smile a little when they say "Many features are carried over from the Sound Devices’ Scorpio....."

'Carried over from' (?)....the Scorpio has barely hit the marketplace, and already it's features are being replicated/incorporated into a yet newer model....

One thing to say for Sound Devices in recent years...not a company to let the grass grow under their feet, when it comes to new product releases !

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 02:23 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
TVPostSound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
One thing to say for Sound Devices in recent years...not a company to let the grass grow under their feet, when it comes to new product releases !
Especially not let Zoom outdo them!!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Couldn't help but smile a little when they say "Many features are carried over from the Sound Devices’ Scorpio....."

'Carried over from' (?)....the Scorpio has barely hit the marketplace, and already it's features are being replicated/incorporated into a yet newer model....

One thing to say for Sound Devices in recent years...not a company to let the grass grow under their feet, when it comes to new product releases !
Scorpio has been around for over half a year, at least.

And they described the 833 the same way, basically Sound Devices is saying “these are our latest generation recorders with all our cutting edge tech in it”

I wouldn’t have bought an 833 otherwise, I want to have the power of Scorpio and get the same firmware updates as well which Scorpio will get in the years to come. As all three of these recorders are powered by the same 3x FPGAs and share a common code base.
Old 1 week ago
  #4
Lives for gear
"Nick Huston opens up the 888 and looks at how it fits into the 8-series with the 833 and the Scorpio"..... video link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HStY...ature=youtu.be
Old 3 days ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
"Nick Huston opens up the 888...."

Kinda hoping he was going to literally open it up and look inside!
Old 2 days ago
  #6
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Kinda hoping he was going to literally open it up and look inside!
What information would doing that give you ?
Old 2 days ago
  #7
Always curious to see the insides!

(and I don't dare to open up mine....)
Old 2 days ago
  #8
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Always curious to see the insides!

(and I don't dare to open up mine....)
Yes I agree about the interest factor in seeing how the mfrs have shoehorned the various components into current hardware! Today's assembly processes put everything in such close proximity that I often wonder whether such crucial essentials such as avoidance of inter-channel crosstalk, hum pickup from transformers etc

In previous times one could see low level signal amplification located well away from power supplies for example, while today such aspects seem to be either ignored, or else the factors are addressed today reliably without such adherence to 'rules' ?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump