The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new Rode RF shotgun mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
new Rode RF shotgun mic

Rode seem to be making a bid for the Sennheiser RF mic location-shotgun market, by promoting the all-conditions ruggedness of their new NTG-5 mic:

https://youtu.be/GHUYwkY93Zk

Rode claims that "Sound quality wise it is on par with the NTG-3, however the lighter build and internal design make it more desirable for location based shooting. The main differences come from the weight (76 grams for the NTG5!) and the internal components of the NTG5 being extremely weather resistant. Both of these features make the NTG5 perfect for location shooting"

The low self-noise is probably not such an impressive claim, given the noise floor of typical locations where it might be used would outweigh mic self noise ? $499 USD
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Is it a C-Mit clone that's humidity proof?
If so its a winner
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hardly a clone, but certainly looks to be a potential success.

I'm keen to acquire one and to hear how it sounds.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

the self-noise is quite low: very helpful in non-standard applications such as podium mic (for which i'm do far mostly using mk41 or mini-cmit).

i will get one of these new mics asap to find out how it performs!

(noise is always an issue 'cause imo it doesn't get burried but rather piles up)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Very interested to hear one of these. The NTG-3 was great but the low-end bass was a hair too much imo.

Also, I haven't checked out mic specs in a long time so I might be wrong, but isn't that sensitivity (output) ridiculously high?? Higher even than the MKH 8060?

-23.5 dB re. 1 Volt/Pascal or Better (66 mV @ 94 dB SPL @ 1 kHz)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search