The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samar Audio TF10 condenser
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Samar Audio TF10 condenser

Haven’t seen much discussion about this new mic yet, so I thought I’d start a thread.

The TF10 is a new condenser mic from Samar Audio. Mark says it will replace the Omni8 TF-08, now comfortably back under the Samar brand.

I got to check one out briefly at AES and it seems pretty fantastic. I’ll attempt to relay some of the info Mark told me about it, but apologies if I get anything wrong...

I believe its the same capsule as the TF-08, but different electronically. Its also different in shape, as the new mic is now a lollipop shape. What makes this mic unique among lollipop-shape condensers however, is that the capsule is also the headbasket - meaning no separate headbasket and therefore no headbasket resonances to deal with.

I listened to it a bit and although the AES show floor is generally a terrible place to do any critical listening, the one thing that really impressed me about the mic was how even and smooth the pattern was, on and off axis. It seemed completely tonally even right to the edges of the pattern, more so than a lot of other mics I’m familiar with.

I don’t see the mic on the Samar website yet so I don’t know about pricing or availability, but I’d definitely be interested to check one it based on what I heard and saw at the show. I could see it being awesome for classical recording.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Samar Audio TF10 condenser-3c30f53f-7ffa-4f4e-847b-2ecfcb35bf72.jpg  

Last edited by celticrogues; 19th October 2019 at 01:02 AM..
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Nut
There's one with a black (carbon fiber?) body, might be the production model?

He's also working on a spring shock mount
Attached Thumbnails
Samar Audio TF10 condenser-img_20191018_122850.jpg  
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOp View Post

<snip>

He's also working on a spring shock mount

I hope he is working on a shock mount for that VL373A. The crappy little plastic clamp just does not do the job and has no business being packaged and sold with a mic of the quality of the VL373A. I know Fouxmann can do better.
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I hope he is working on a shock mount for that VL373A. The crappy little plastic clamp just does not do the job and has no business being packaged and sold with a mic of the quality of the VL373A. I know Fouxmann can do better.
If you look at the picture I posted, what looks like a hard mount supporting those mics is actually the new shock mount.

And in a more holistic view, a lot of other manufacturers are providing only a basic clip- AEA sent the same one with the n8s. I have to assume they think we'll have the fancy clips sorted and are just giving us this one so we can use the mic straightaway. I should've asked, as I met them yesterday at AES.
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boojum View Post
I know Fouxmann can do better.
Man, I feelz ya! When I fly my Samar, I always feel the need to zip-tie the mic into that crappy mount. I have a Rycote suspension which is great but huge and doesn't work in a flying situation. I don't need a suspension; the cable, or an aircraft cable rig typically supports the mic and works fine to dampen any physically induced problems. But a nice small mount with a latching mechanism would go a long way to making me (and the stage hands who fly the mic) more comfortable. How about it Mark?

D.
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback. Will try to address the things here.

As Mike has mentioned, the TF10 will replace Omni8 Audio TF08 back under Samar name. Both mics have the same capsules and electronics, so the main difference is their body style--the lollipop with its housing as an integral part of the capsule is the most acoustically transparent solution possible. This way we eliminate any sound shadows, reflections, diffractions, standing waves, and any other interference between capsule and surrounding grill basket, or traditional lollipop housing.

The bodies will come in two finishes--Stainless Steel, and carbon fiber.

Another difference, after long experiments we came up with a very unobtrusive, and very effective solution for the shock mount. It is by far more slick and elegant than those (ugly) spider mounts, which in many cases are not even tuned correctly to the weight of the microphones. Our newest AL95 budget ribbons come already with threading to fit those. Also, we are looking at how we can adapt them to use with our VL37 and VL373 lines of ribbons. You can see the mount on the pictures. The mount on the picture is a prototype. The production version will come in black and will be about half shorter.

We should be putting the TF10 on our website shortly. Here is the "Sound on Sound" introduction:

Attached Thumbnails
Samar Audio TF10 condenser-carbonshockside.jpg   Samar Audio TF10 condenser-carbonfront.jpg   Samar Audio TF10 condenser-stainlessfront.jpg   Samar Audio TF10 condenser-stainlessshockside.jpg  
Old 20th October 2019
Lives for gear

Hm, that shape reminds me of something very familiar...

Samar TF10, aka Dutch bicycle dynamo. Would be a worthy nickname: I've known a guy who had become a multi-millionaire selling those.

I especially find that carbon version very handsome and ready to become an icon. We have the shape and a nickname, so please let its sound follow in those footsteps!
Attached Thumbnails
Samar Audio TF10 condenser-bicycle_dynamo.jpg  
Old 21st October 2019
News Desk Editor

Old 1 week ago
Sign me up for a demo, Marik! I'm really intrigued!!
b o w l e s - a t - s w i n e s h e a d - d o t - c o m
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search