The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Primo EM283 - capsule for DIY fig 8
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Primo EM283 - capsule for DIY fig 8

A thread for the DIY/fiddling crowd!

The omni Primo EM172 comes up for discussion from time to time on this forum, whether as a bare capsule or within mics such as those made by Micbooster/FEL, Lom and Audiotalaia. Always great for experimenting and (relatively) low noise to boot (14dBA).

Primo also make a single diaphragm fig. 8 capsule, also 10mm diameter, but this is not normally available via retailers. I noticed that FEL Communications Ltd. here in the UK has started selling them and, as I had never heard of the capsule nor could find anything about it via the internet, I bought one for the princely sum of £19.50 for fun/curiosity.

Specs not as attractive as the EM172, but, coincidentally, identical to the AKG-CK94 fig 8. Of course, the 22dBA self-noise might be rather too high for many, but thought it worth flagging up in case any of the DIYers here want to make a miniature MS mic (perhaps combining the EM283 with an omni EM172 or cardioid EM200 or EM264Y) for louder sources such as music or some street ambiences.

I've noticed it needs better RFI screening than the EM172, but nothing unusual. I just bunged it in an old sawn-off shotgun mic tube for testing and it was fine (see pics): must try it in a smaller housing with a mid mic and test on something suitable (e.g. an acoustic group).

Cheers,

Roland
Attached Thumbnails
Primo EM283 - capsule for DIY fig 8-primo-em283-bi-directional-electret-capsule.jpg   Primo EM283 - capsule for DIY fig 8-p2700632.jpg   Primo EM283 - capsule for DIY fig 8-p2700636.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Cool!

What're you feeding it into? The circuit diagram with the capsule looks nice and simple, but it'd be good to have it powered on +48v.

Chris
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Chris,

I am using a Rode VXLR+ to take 48v phantom (from my Mixpre recorder) and drop it down to PIP 5v.

Cheers,

Roland
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Looks like fun, Roland!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search