The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Upgrading mobile rig from 2 mics to at least 6 (currently using RME Babyface)
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Upgrading mobile rig from 2 mics to at least 6 (currently using RME Babyface)

Hi everyone! I’d like to expand my mobile rig from 2 to 6 mics. At the moment I use Laptop + RME Babyface (1st gen) that only has 2 mic inputs and I’d like to be able to connect at least 6. Would it be effective to get rid of Babyface and replace it with an interface with more mic inputs or keep the Babyface and connect a standalone mic preamp with more inputs to Babyface to expand the current setup? Can you even do that with Babyface? I’m a novice - so apologies for such basic question! What would be most cost effective/ best quality solution?

The scenario will be recording string quartet with stereo pair (beyerdynamic mc930) plus 4 spot mics for each of the instruments.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Babyface has an ADAT in, right? So any 8ch mic pre/converter with ADAT out will work to expand your channel count nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faremis View Post
Hi everyone! I’d like to expand my mobile rig from 2 to 6 mics. At the moment I use Laptop + RME Babyface (1st gen) that only has 2 mic inputs and I’d like to be able to connect at least 6. Would it be effective to get rid of Babyface and replace it with an interface with more mic inputs or keep the Babyface and connect a standalone mic preamp with more inputs to Babyface to expand the current setup? Can you even do that with Babyface? I’m a novice - so apologies for such basic question! What would be most cost effective/ best quality solution?

The scenario will be recording string quartet with stereo pair (beyerdynamic mc930) plus 4 spot mics for each of the instruments.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FYI: If you use an RME Octamic XTC mic pre for the ADAT, you can control it directly from the Babyface Totalmix. There's an Options>Settings>Aux Devices in the Babyface Totalmix (I imagine it exists like the Babyface Pro has it)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I really like my Audient ASP880 for spots. ADAT out with great converters. Just now upgrading my rig to an integrated 4u system, so I would consider selling it if you're interested!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search