The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Schoeps Omni Capsule Versitility
Old 23rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Schoeps Omni Capsule Versitility

I'm wondering if anyone has any audio examples of the Schoeps omni capsules being used at various distances, especially outside of their intended uses. I noticed that the Schoeps Showroom only provides demos using their suggested distances, but I'm curious to see how versatile they are. For example, what does an MK2 sound like at further distances? How about an MK2H at closer distances? I would also be curious to hear these same tests with Neumann KM183 or Sennheiser MKH8020.
Old 27th September 2019
Here for the gear

Not sure, but in the showroom if you look at the speaker demo you can select different distances. Its generally the same effect regardless of capsule. The closer you are the more direct sound you will get while further away will be ever more diffuse. You can just imagine what MK2 vs MK2H sounds like or even try applying a slight EQ to a sample to mimic the difference. They're more alike than different. But I suggest going with recommendations. There is a reason why you would use each capsule. If those reasons don't make sense to you, you might want to double check the frequency response of your monitors/headphones. I understand what you're asking so you can narrow it down to the right selection but its also highly dependent on the room you're in. Its common for an engineer to have a comprehensive mic locker from which to choose.
Old 1st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandsound View Post
How about an MK2H at closer distances? I would also be curious to hear these same tests with Neumann KM183 or Sennheiser MKH8020.
I do not have sound examples ready, but I have used the MK2H in a small studio with e.g. guitar or piano and even harp with great success. As a main mic, it also sounds wonderful.

I have never been able to get a decent sound from a KM183 by itself at close distance in a recording studio - it needs to be combined with other signals of the same source.

Best,
Dirk
Old 1st October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
I have never been able to get a decent sound from a KM183 by itself at close distance in a recording studio - it needs to be combined with other signals of the same source.
I never use the Neumann KM183 at close distance, the Shoeps mk2 is made for this.
The KM183 HF bump at 10k brings the mic to be used as main.

Before upgrading I had good results with 5x KM183+SBK130 in a Decca tree configuration.

I use the MK2 to spot piano when it's a solo recording. I find the sound really nice to mix with the main pair (M150).

But of course and as usual, just my opinion.

Fred.

Last edited by fred2bern; 1st October 2019 at 02:24 PM..
Old 1st October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
I never use the Neumann KM183 at close distance, the Shoeps mk2 is made for this. The KM183 HF bump at 10k brings the mic to be used as main.
I mentioned the Neumanns because gandsound asked about them. My experiences with them vary and they are likely the last mics I would choose for a main microphone and even prefer the KM83 (basically, the internal electronics of the KM1xx series really diminish what they are capable of).

I did, however, successfully use the KM183 as spots in combination with a main mic in certain situations, where the sources was e.g. sounding dull on the mains or where the HF bump actually helped.

Best,

Dirk
Old 5th October 2019
Super Moderator

Important Side Bar Note:

As many may already know, we now have two additional sub-forums.

If you want to get the full experience of the 'Remote Possibilities in Location Recording and Production' forum and its topics, consider subscribing to them.

Any new post in these categories will not come up on your 'New Subscribed Threads' notifications unless you subscribe to them.

IMHO, having these new sub-forums, 'All Things Technical' and 'Mobile & Location Rigs' will prove to be a great addition to this awesome Remotester-centric forum!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search