The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter
Old 17th September 2019
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter

Worked on a job today where the engineer used an adapter to convert 130VDC out of a millennia preamp to run a DPA 4003 on a regular 3-pin XLR. Anyone have the schematic for these guys? It would make the possibility of using 130VDC DPAs more palatable if I didn't need a s**t-ton of 4-pin XLR cable,

D.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

What you are looking for is the DPA PCC4000 Passive Connection Converter.

Other's have figured out the wiring for the discontinued cable converter

(and a reminder that the 130V 4-pin are unbalanced)
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

The other option is to use Josephson C617โ€™s.
200 volt capsule polarization but works with
regular mic cables on any preamp providing
standard 48 volt phantom power.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Head

I think the OP does not refer to the PCC4000 adaptor. I assume he asks for a schematic diagram to convert 4p XLR connectors to XLR 3p cables to run 130V a-symmectrically over 3 pin cables. It is possible. Use 1 and 2 at the XLR-3p side for audio and 3 for 130V. At the XLR-4p side 1 is shield, 4 is audio and 3 is 130V. 2 is not connected. But do not mess up, you kill your microphones...... or yourself !
Old 17th September 2019
Yes Folkie. That would be the best for me. I let a pair pass me by recently because I couldn't raise the funds. I was bummed.

But I think that what I was looking for was what is described by Orgeltonmeister.

Thanks all.

D.
Old 19th September 2019
Thanks. I am now prepared to rent some 4003s with no issues using them on location. Oh, and the Millennia to power them.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter-img_7688.jpg  
Old 19th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Thanks. I am now prepared to rent some 4003s with no issues using them on location. Oh, and the Millennia to power them.

D.
Do you own a Millennia with 4p 130V option?
Old 20th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister View Post
Do you own a Millennia with 4p 130V option?
I have one available to me almost any time; a luxury to be certain.

D.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
It would make the possibility of using 130VDC DPAs more palatable if I didn't need a s**t-ton of 4-pin XLR cable,

D.
I've had 300' of cable for my 4003 and 4012s that's served me for over a decade now. I'm using 3 Avalon M5s with their 130V option. I don't find it 'un-palatable'. It's marked and kept in the same case as the mics. I also have the DPA Pre-pre as a fall back.

If I converted 3 pin XLR cables I'd have to mark those and think I'd worry more about mixing them up.
Old 21st September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_ View Post
If I converted 3 pin XLR cables

How would you do so ?
You need 3 pin <---> 4 pin cable adaptors: see post #6 from tourtelot here above.
Old 21st September 2019
Right! Just the point. No special cables needed. Just a pair of adapters that got assembled in about 1/2 hour from stuff found in the bins in my shop. Presto.

D.
Old 21st September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post

How would you do so ?
You need 3 pin <---> 4 pin cable adaptors: see post #6 from tourtelot here above.
Remind me not to post before my first cup of coffee. I misunderstood by reading too quickly.

Now I get the point. Thanks
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

Hi All, it seems like this is the right group to ask. I was given a old pair of 4003 from the B&K era. I am a classical guitar and am hoping to use it but, I have lots of questions about them. I use an RME Fireface 400. When I plug the mic into RMEโ€™s mic channels from the 130 v box with the phantom power off, I got very strong signal it tends to a very bright sound. I also tried ti simply goes through the balance input. However, when I do that, The signal I got a minimum. While I like the sound better, I need to normalize the recordings to get it loud enough. Am I doing something wrong? Are there something wrong with the mics? Help?
Old 4th September 2020
Gear Head

Which 130v box do you own? The green B&K 2812 or 2812mk2? Or maybe the orange HMA4000 or black HMA5000?

Do not use + 20dB. Use 0 dB for normal SPL levels and -12 (2812) for louder, and -20dB on the HMA4000. The 4003 has an output of about 42mV/Pa which is roughly 8 to 10 dB more level than Neumann and Schoeps small membrane microphones, so the output is rather hot, so to say.
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

Which 130v box do you own? The green B&K 2812 or 2812mk2? Or maybe the orange HMA4000 or black HMA5

I have a black box. Let me check the model number.
Old 4th September 2020
Here for the gear

I have a black box type 2812.
Old 7th September 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changer1 View Post
I have a black box type 2812.
The orginal 2812 has a switch with 0 dB, -6dB and -12dB. If you think your signal is too hot for your preamp, set it to -6 or -12.

The mk2 2812, was a modified 2812, where the upper switch position gives 20dB of gain, the middle position is zero gain and the lowest position has a attentuation of 20 dB.

The -20dB position is only for very loud signals, you may end up with too much noise with normal signal levels.
Attached Thumbnails
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter-2812.jpg  
๐Ÿ“ Reply