The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter
Old 4 weeks ago
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter

Worked on a job today where the engineer used an adapter to convert 130VDC out of a millennia preamp to run a DPA 4003 on a regular 3-pin XLR. Anyone have the schematic for these guys? It would make the possibility of using 130VDC DPAs more palatable if I didn't need a s**t-ton of 4-pin XLR cable,

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

What you are looking for is the DPA PCC4000 Passive Connection Converter.

Other's have figured out the wiring for the discontinued cable converter

(and a reminder that the 130V 4-pin are unbalanced)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The other option is to use Josephson C617’s.
200 volt capsule polarization but works with
regular mic cables on any preamp providing
standard 48 volt phantom power.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I think the OP does not refer to the PCC4000 adaptor. I assume he asks for a schematic diagram to convert 4p XLR connectors to XLR 3p cables to run 130V a-symmectrically over 3 pin cables. It is possible. Use 1 and 2 at the XLR-3p side for audio and 3 for 130V. At the XLR-4p side 1 is shield, 4 is audio and 3 is 130V. 2 is not connected. But do not mess up, you kill your microphones...... or yourself !
Old 4 weeks ago
Yes Folkie. That would be the best for me. I let a pair pass me by recently because I couldn't raise the funds. I was bummed.

But I think that what I was looking for was what is described by Orgeltonmeister.

Thanks all.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Thanks. I am now prepared to rent some 4003s with no issues using them on location. Oh, and the Millennia to power them.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
DPA 4003 XLR Adapter-img_7688.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Thanks. I am now prepared to rent some 4003s with no issues using them on location. Oh, and the Millennia to power them.

D.
Do you own a Millennia with 4p 130V option?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister View Post
Do you own a Millennia with 4p 130V option?
I have one available to me almost any time; a luxury to be certain.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
It would make the possibility of using 130VDC DPAs more palatable if I didn't need a s**t-ton of 4-pin XLR cable,

D.
I've had 300' of cable for my 4003 and 4012s that's served me for over a decade now. I'm using 3 Avalon M5s with their 130V option. I don't find it 'un-palatable'. It's marked and kept in the same case as the mics. I also have the DPA Pre-pre as a fall back.

If I converted 3 pin XLR cables I'd have to mark those and think I'd worry more about mixing them up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_ View Post
If I converted 3 pin XLR cables

How would you do so ?
You need 3 pin <---> 4 pin cable adaptors: see post #6 from tourtelot here above.
Old 3 weeks ago
Right! Just the point. No special cables needed. Just a pair of adapters that got assembled in about 1/2 hour from stuff found in the bins in my shop. Presto.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest View Post

How would you do so ?
You need 3 pin <---> 4 pin cable adaptors: see post #6 from tourtelot here above.
Remind me not to post before my first cup of coffee. I misunderstood by reading too quickly.

Now I get the point. Thanks
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search