The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gaffer's Tape
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Gaffer's Tape

Is there any such thing as gaffer's tape that doesn't turn to white sticky, slimy ooze after a while?

Price is not really a factor.

DG
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Nashua vs USA Gaffa are the quality contenders...one oozes and the other doesn't, after some time (months/heat)...I just don't recall which does which ? As for all other brands, suspect at best (and don't leave on for any length of time)

I'm sure there's a GS thread (or several) about this, maybe not in this particular forum...most likely in the live sound one ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Permacel
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

D

Please confirm you are referring to real Gaffer's tape and not Duct or Duck tape. Duct tape and such usually leaves that sticky white residue. In my experience, real Gaffer's tape does not.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Google "expendables Burbank" and call any of them. Those folks know about this stuff.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Please confirm you are referring to real Gaffer's tape and not Duct or Duck tape. Duct tape and such usually leaves that sticky white residue. In my experience, real Gaffer's tape does not.
Is gaffer's tape typically the cloth/fabric-backed tape, that will tear predictably and reliably along the weave when you pull hard enough ? That's my understanding, whereas duct tape typically just stretches and stretches before tearing...and does so in anything but a predictable and linear fashion ! Awful stuff...but it has its uses....!
Old 4 weeks ago
We have had good luck with Shurtape https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lots of companies are marketing DUCT tape as Gaffer's tape, buyer be ware.

FWIW
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Pro-gaff on Amazon is fine. We use the 3" width.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

There's more than one kind of "good" gaffa. Some kinds will do a good job and leave the surface unsullied. Other kinds will be harder to unstick from itself on the roll, adhere to anything, hang on for dear life, and take the paint with it when you pull it up. Good to have both, good to know which is which.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
There's more than one kind of "good" gaffa. Some kinds will do a good job and leave the surface unsullied. Other kinds will be harder to unstick from itself on the roll, adhere to anything, hang on for dear life, and take the paint with it when you pull it up. Good to have both, good to know which is which.
lol - i remember watching two stage hands trying to get a gaffa (which was used to mount two pzm's on the lid of a piano for about a month) off the instrument - problems were that it was the wrong good gaffa and that it was a very large steinway or bösendorfer...
touring agency, band managment, sound engineer, sr rental company, backline company, venue manager and insurance companies went to court: i was told it took ages to settle things and costs were horrendous; not sure who paid for fixing the damage in the end.
whenever i get back to the venue, i come across folks who keep talking about the incident although it's been ca. 25 years by now - too bad no one remembers the brand of tape which was used: i'd buy a ton right away (but maybe not use it in this application)!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 4 weeks ago at 04:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
lol - i remember watching two stage hands trying to get a gaffa (which was used to mount two pzm's on the lid) off a steinway...
My version of that nightmare involved a carpet in a US Senator's office.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
My version of that nightmare involved a carpet in a US Senator's office.
brilliant! - i guess the person responsible for this malheur got 'promoted' to a job in pyongyang or at least in ouagadougou?!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
brilliant! - i guess the person responsible for this malheur got 'promoted' to a job in pyongyang or at least in ouagadougou?!
My client was Roger Ailes (horrifying Google) and the Senator, up for re-election, was his client. The gaffa came from the production co., as did the First AD who handed it to me. No idea whether anyone wound up in Pyongyang (better than Missoula, where the Senator was from) but that tape got used in several spots in that office, and most of it was still there when we left. I seem to recall box cutters being used to free the cables and such.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

...too bad your client didn't get send to a remote island!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
...too bad your client didn't get send to a remote island!
Next best thing, I guess, is an orange jumpsuit. He was being fitted for one, but he went and died first.
Old 4 weeks ago
Early in my audio career I used some off brand gaffers tape and when I went to remove it the floor tiles it was stuck to also came up. Not what I wanted to have happen. The venue was cool and said that they were going to redo the floor anyways so I just hastened their timetable..WHEW~~~ I was doing a video remote with a production company and they were using some 3" gaffers tape to hold down some cables but when they left they just cut the cables out of the tape and left the tape stuck to the floor and walls. The venue was not happy and sent them a bill for $$$ to pay for the tape's removal. My motto is "if you put it down you take it up" but I guess some people don't follow that mantra. Oh well, gaffers tape is like the force. It has a dark side and a light side and holds the world together. Be safe!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Definitely Gaffer's Tape. I don't recall the brand name, but it is atrocious. It has "Fasten" printed all over the inner side of the hollow cardboard core. I do not see any other identification. Don't recall when I purchased it. I think from some Amazon vendor. It was definitely represented as gaff tape. (I am aware of the differences, and wouldn't buy anything else for my recording purposes.)

But, total yuck.

I made the error of using it (instead of those velcro cable wrap things) to contain some cables that I wrapped up after a gig some time ago. (They got to the bottom of my pile, and I haven't used them for over a year.) Got them out for a project and spent probably an hour with those coils of cable and "Goo-Be-Gone" solvent.

THen I found that roll, and the adhesive was even seeping out of the roll.

Double yuck.

DG

P.S. I apologize for the title. I can't even spell.

Last edited by dgpretzel; 4 weeks ago at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Add P.S.; fix spelling "roll".
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Permacel has never let me down.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Nashua vs USA Gaffa are the quality contenders...one oozes and the other doesn't, after some time (months/heat)...I just don't recall which does which ? As for all other brands, suspect at best (and don't leave on for any length of time)

I'm sure there's a GS thread (or several) about this, maybe not in this particular forum...most likely in the live sound one ?

So... I gotta ask myself the question... "Do you feel lucky?"

DG
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Permacel has never let me down.
I'll check, of course, but isn't this the brand that was discontinued?

Has it been resurrected? (Or maybe I am mistaking it for another brand.)

DG
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post
I'll check, of course, but isn't this the brand that was discontinued?

Has it been resurrected? (Or maybe I am mistaking it for another brand.)

DG
I still have several rolls.

I guess you could google for it if ya want.
Old 4 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've been there. What some folks say is Gaffer's tape is not actually the real stuff, or at least not the quality we expect.

Not everything from Amazon legit; some vendors are out-and-out frauds or borderline fraudulent. There's plenty of yuck (even double-yuck) and muck available on Amazon.

Monoprice (believe it or not) had (have) Velcro cable wraps and such that I really like.

Oh, BTW, I fixed your title typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgpretzel View Post
Definitely Gaffer's Tape. I don't recall the brand name, but it is atrocious. It has "Fasten" printed all over the inner side of the hollow cardboard core. I do not see any other identification. Don't recall when I purchased it. I think from some Amazon vendor. It was definitely represented as gaff tape. (I am aware of the differences, and wouldn't buy anything else for my recording purposes.)

But, total yuck.

I made the error of using it (instead of those velcro cable wrap things) to contain some cables that I wrapped up after a gig some time ago. (They got to the bottom of my pile, and I haven't used them for over a year.) Got them out for a project and spent probably an hour with those coils of cable and "Goo-Be-Gone" solvent.

THen I found that role, and the adhesive was even seeping out of the role.

Double yuck.

DG

P.S. I apologize for the title. I can't even spell.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh, BTW, I fixed your title typo.
His "gaffe."
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent hahn View Post
his "gaffe."
lol

dg
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
What some folks say is Gaffer's tape is not actually the real stuff, or at least not the quality we expect.
To my knowledge, there is no actual legal definition for "Gaffer's Tape".

I guess you could go into court and claim that even masking tape would be a kind of tape that a professional gaffer might use in the course of work.
...So Caveat Emptor, I guess...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
B&H has "Permacel/Shurtape" #672 in stock. It's not cheap, $32/roll for 2" x 50 yards. I got a good deal on a whole bunch of it years ago and haven't run out yet
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk View Post
It's not cheap
The good stuff never was.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Pro-gaff on Amazon is fine. We use the 3" width.

D.
+1

All depends on how long you leave it though. Within a day or so this comes up nicely and easily without any residue. Leave it for a year or two though and you end up with a sticky, gooey mess like anything else.

-Mike
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk View Post
B&H has "Permacel/Shurtape" #672 in stock. It's not cheap, $32/roll for 2" x 50 yards. I got a good deal on a whole bunch of it years ago and haven't run out yet
"...years ago..."
and still not deteiorated into white goo? That's amazing. I'm buying some.

DG
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
To my knowledge, there is no actual legal definition for "Gaffer's Tape".
Probably not. But there are perhaps some "generally accepted" definitions.

I come at this primarily from the video / lighting side (you know, actual gaffers). My understanding (for what little it's worth) is that real Gaffers' tape uses a different substrate then duct tape, and a different adhesive. Gaffers' take is supposedly made to be easier to tear to size (as opposed to cutting with a blade), and its adhesive is supposed to provide an easy and clean release leaving no residue (if you pull it off in a timely manner -- just a few days).

In contrast, duct tape was meant to seal HVAC duct work. Permanently. So the substrate was meant to be strong, and the adhesive meant to make a sticky and long lasting seal of hot duct joints. That's why most of the "good stuff" now includes a sheet of aluminum in the substrate -- to make a better air-tight seal.

I'm just sayin' that the two tapes are not interchangeable. And were never meant to be.

Personally, most of what I've used has been Shurtape's Gaffers' tape. Which isn't surprising since it's made (or used to be made) in beautiful Hickory NC a couple of hours from where I live. It was, of course, the most readily available because it was easy to stock. And it's always worked pretty well for me. Clearly, YMMV.

Last edited by Bruce Watson; 4 weeks ago at 11:49 PM.. Reason: fixed a tense
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search