The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Gaffer's Tape
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

I have used Markertek to supply me with gaffers' tape for many, many years. Always had satisfactory results.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for snowflakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
In contrast, duct tape is meant to seal HVAC duct work.
Not really!:
"The product now commonly called duct tape should not be confused with special tapes actually designed for sealing heating and ventilation (HVAC) ducts"
-From the Wikipedia entry for "Duct tape"
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
... From the Wikipedia entry for "Duct tape"
Of course there would be a Wikipedia article on duct tape. The author ordered it by the case so he could make an unboxing video.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Fortunately, I had already swallowed my coffee before reading that post.

DG
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Not really!:
"The product now commonly called duct tape should not be confused with special tapes actually designed for sealing heating and ventilation (HVAC) ducts"
-From the Wikipedia entry for "Duct tape"
Oh, sorry. I meant "was". Nowadays duct tape, or as I've seen it in actual products in hardware stores : "duck tape", can be anything (even if it shouldn't be). But when I was working my way through school as a sheet metal mechanic's helper (my actual title for a semester) we actually used duct tape to seal ducts. Great big sheet metal ducts running across the ceilings of school cafeterias and gyms. But that was back in the 1970s when real men used sheet metal in HVAC systems. Or so they told me.
Old 17th September 2019
Gear Maniac
You can‘t go wrong with Gerband tape from Germany. I always use Gerband 258 BK. Love the matte finish and it really doesn‘t leave any residues.
Old 17th September 2019
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
His "gaffe."
I like what you did there.
Old 17th September 2019
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

https://www.lemark.co.uk/gaffer-tape...l-gaffer-tape/
this brand has been good for me

Matti
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Personally, most of what I've used has been Shurtape's Gaffers' tape. Which isn't surprising since it's made (or used to be made) in beautiful Hickory NC a couple of hours from where I live. It was, of course, the most readily available because it was easy to stock. And it's always worked pretty well for me. Clearly, YMMV.

I see they have a variety now, I'll have to try some again. Whatever A&V Co. was buying from them 10+ years ago sucked and I've avoided them since. P-665 and P-665W look like best bets.
Old 17th September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Oh, sorry. I meant "was". Nowadays duct tape, or as I've seen it in actual products in hardware stores : "duck tape", can be anything (even if it shouldn't be). But when I was working my way through school as a sheet metal mechanic's helper (my actual title for a semester) we actually used duct tape to seal ducts. Great big sheet metal ducts running across the ceilings of school cafeterias and gyms. But that was back in the 1970s when real men used sheet metal in HVAC systems. Or so they told me.
Often now it's flex duct with an inner liner that is terminated to a sheet metal boot at the registers with the inner liner sealed to the boot with duct tape and the outer layer zip tied. The HVAC duct tape seems to be of a more consistent quality than the stuff in the local stores.

Real duct tape is designed to stick and stay permanently stuck because nobody wants air supply ducts to become separated from the registers after the ceiling is installed over them.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When I need to clean some old gaffer on K&M stuff, cables etc., I use Essence "F".
It doesn't destroy the original color and there is no trace after.

Works also with stickers on flight cases etc.

Fred.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search