The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Record vocal sereval times (rehearsal) with the same (guitar wave file) background
Old 14th September 2019
Here for the gear

Record vocal sereval times (rehearsal) with the same (guitar wave file) background

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for standalone (with no PC) device for record vocal several times (home rehearsal) with the same background file (guitar wave) with good quality (the best option is 192/24).

So I'll like to:

1. Play background guitar from wave file, sing to the microphone, listen in headphones background guitar and my vocal and record vocal in (96/24 192/24) wav file.
2. After this I'll like to listen effects by playing recoded vocal or vocal + guitar backgronud
3. Do all again (record only vocal with guitar background and listen).

I would also like save all versions of my vocal rehearsals. After all I'll like to copy final files to DAW - I do not want to use DAW for recording rehearsals which are made repeatedly, becoude it is to comlicated for me.

Is this possible with devices such as?: Zoom F4 for example? Any other examples? Maybe some Digital Mixers?

Thanks for reply.
Old 14th September 2019
Lives for gear

Budget? Sound Devices MixPre II M series sound like they fit your bill. $800-1600.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

All mixpres from Sound Devices can do this with the musician plug-in. The Zoom H5 and H6 as well as the F4 and F8 can do overdubs. With the Zooms it is a bit menue jumping. Although in general I find the Zoom interface to be much less confusing than the Sound Devices. Sound Devices made products only for camera sound people for a long time. For people who come from audio their interface is very confusing and non-intuitive. You could use the old Zoom R8, R16, R24 or one of the Livetrak units, too.

The mixpres sound very good but you get the most for your money buying a H6 for 300,- or a F4 for 450,-. I own a Sound Devices Mixpre 3 and the Zoom H6.
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

This is job that can easily be done using an interface into any DAW.

Can you explain why you believe it is more easily done with a stand alone?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
All mixpres from Sound Devices can do this with the musician plug-in. The Zoom H5 and H6 as well as the F4 and F8 can do overdubs. With the Zooms it is a bit menue jumping. Although in general I find the Zoom interface to be much less confusing than the Sound Devices. Sound Devices made products only for camera sound people for a long time. For people who come from audio their interface is very confusing and non-intuitive. You could use the old Zoom R8, R16, R24 or one of the Livetrak units, too.

The mixpres sound very good but you get the most for your money buying a H6 for 300,- or a F4 for 450,-. I own a Sound Devices Mixpre 3 and the Zoom H6.
The Zoom F4 and F8/F8n can't do overdubs!

Cheers,

Roland
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksoundman9 View Post
The Zoom F4 and F8/F8n can't do overdubs!

Cheers,

Roland
thank you for the correction!
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
thank you for the correction!
No problem! It would be nice if more field recorders allowed overdubbing. Certainly I have found the Musician plugin for the Mixpre recorders very useful for 'Playing for Change' style recordings (i.e. built up with overdubs of musicians in different locations/at different times) I have been doing outside.

Cheers,

Roland

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search