The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samar Debuts A New Figure-of-eight Ribbon
Old 4 weeks ago
Samar Debuts A New Figure-of-eight Ribbon

Touts symmetry for M/S as a main point. I am looking forward to hearing it.

http://samaraudiodesign.com/AL95.html

List price around $400

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
Wow. If it's anything like the VL37A I'm in.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Where are they based? In the states?

Dave
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk View Post
Wow. If it's anything like the VL37A I'm in.
The price is "slightly" lower, so it might be, that the only thing from the higher model would be the brand :D
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones View Post
Where are they based? In the states?

Dave
Yes, based in Salt Lake City, and these mics are apparently made in house.

Other interesting info from the promo email:

Quote:
At the heart of the microphone is a ‘piston’ corrugated ribbon. Compared to the regular ‘zig-zag’ corrugation, it offers lower noise, deeper, fuller, and more controlled bass response, higher output, lower resonance modes, and very high SPL handling. All those advantages are due to the ribbon motion, which is similar to that of speaker cones. A very important feature of the ribbon is its robust construction and therefore, much lower fragility than conventional ribbon microphones. Due to this, they do not require any special precautions for storage.

The ribbon motor is coupled to an in-house made amorthous-core torroidal transformer, which started its lineage from Samar’s flagship MF65. The transformer ratio and other parameters were specifically matched for this microphone. This optimization has resulted in very low distortion, noise, and neutral sonics.
Old 4 weeks ago
The reason I posted this is that I have a VL373A stereo ribbon that perfectly replaced the Royer (Speiden) SF12 that I thought was pretty fragile and not suited for location work, even though I liked the sound.

The Samar sounds as good to me and appears to be very robust, so I am a fan of the brand.

I have not heard the mic mentioned above but if it is in the same league as the VL373A, it'll be a winner.

No affiliation. Just a fan.

D.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sure looks like a winner to me.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

First announced late May. Looks like production was delayed due to larger-than-anticipated response. Marik from Samar is active in this thread, and he shares a few details:

Samar Audio Releases Newest AL95 Ribbon Microphone

Samar's Facebook page has a few pictures of machined bodies:
https://www.facebook.com/High.Quality.Microphones/?

Still no specs posted, and I am having difficulty visualizing this "corrugated piston" ribbon. The closest thing I can think of are the folded-ribbon tweeters in ADAM monitor speakers.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
The reason I posted this is that I have a VL373A stereo ribbon that perfectly replaced the Royer (Speiden) SF12 that I thought was pretty fragile and not suited for location work, even though I liked the sound.

The Samar sounds as good to me and appears to be very robust, so I am a fan of the brand.

I have not heard the mic mentioned above but if it is in the same league as the VL373A, it'll be a winner.

No affiliation. Just a fan.

D.
I was tempted to place an order, but given that it's a new (piston) motor principle, I've decided to hold off until early user reports are in. The updates in the other GS forum and Facebook suggest they've been caught by the avalanche of orders, which is not unexpected for a small outfit like Samar.

Here's a pic from their Facebook page of the new polished (top and bottom) bodies, awaiting anodizing...oops, same pic as voltronic has linked to above (sorry for duplication !)
Attached Thumbnails
Samar Debuts A New Figure-of-eight Ribbon-samar.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Damned, another temptation.

I would really love to buy a pair of nice ribbons, mainly for spot miking duties. I mainly record Jazz and classical concerts in cooperation with a Music university.
But always, when I am nearly decided, another tempting new offer turns up. Should it be passive or active, Mesanovic, or Rode NTR, Samar 37 or 95, Stager or sandhill, AEA or what? I find it so difficult, If you don't have the chance to hear them all together.
And will I use them, although I don't have best acoustics too often.
Once I used my R84 as a spot mic for trumpet during a jazz live concert. In the end, it was more of a distant room mic for drums rather than a spot for the trumpet.
The price for the AL95 is of course interesting., but will it be the multi purpose ribbon mic, I am looking for? Curious, what the first owners will report back
Old 4 weeks ago
AB3
Lives for gear

The Samar 37s (active or passive) are great for classical or jazz.
I have the passive. I have a very clean preamp with plenty of gain so no issue.
Email Samar! Good luck. (I am not connected with the company - even though I live in SLC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrommann View Post
Damned, another temptation.

I would really love to buy a pair of nice ribbons, mainly for spot miking duties. I mainly record Jazz and classical concerts in cooperation with a Music university.
But always, when I am nearly decided, another tempting new offer turns up. Should it be passive or active, Mesanovic, or Rode NTR, Samar 37 or 95, Stager or sandhill, AEA or what? I find it so difficult, If you don't have the chance to hear them all together.
And will I use them, although I don't have best acoustics too often.
Once I used my R84 as a spot mic for trumpet during a jazz live concert. In the end, it was more of a distant room mic for drums rather than a spot for the trumpet.
The price for the AL95 is of course interesting., but will it be the multi purpose ribbon mic, I am looking for? Curious, what the first owners will report back
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
I recall reading in one of Mark Fouxman's descriptions for the latest mic that he was wanting to introduce the AL95's new pistonic ribbon as a practical proof of concept move, before integrating it with an active preamp stage.

So perhaps that makes the early adopters the beta testers for what will become an active mic (with a presumably higher price tag) ? Buy now, or wait...the eternal GS dilemma with regard to new product releases !

Given the significantly lower price of the AL95 compared with its predecessors in the Samar range...shall we agree to forego the "I wuz cheated" whining which has marked the release of the new, lower priced (but with more features) MixPre II series from Sound Devices ?

If you already own a Samar, perhaps your purchase has in some way fuelled and enabled this latest development, for which we should all be thankful. I doubt the arrival of the AL95 will render your existing mic obsolete, nor devalue it any more than typical market forces have a way of doing.
Old 4 weeks ago
$350 special. Some one buy one and report.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I have one on order. I'll let folks know when I get it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Just to chime in in regards to Samar Ribbons. I am a fan of them and own a pair of Mf65 and a pair of AL37 mics. I won't say I have had great success, as that would imply that I have won an award or something alike. But I will say I love them and use them for Jazz and Classical etc....

This is a link if interested to a String Quartet recording that the MF and AL mics were the primary sources, although slightly blended with Sennheiser MKH8020s

http://richardratner.com/quartet2.html

Pretty much all my piano tracks (mostly jazz) at my bopstopstudios.com are done with the MF65 as main pair and I use the Samars the most of all my mics. Certainly on Brass and Strings.

They do need high gain Preamps and some pres just don't match regardless of gain capabilities. (an aside, best match I have found is Integer Audio RMP: Gain at full no noise at all, where as say through a focusrite ISA, plenty of gain, but noisey unless a clouldlifter pair used).

Prior to the Samars I had Royers sf12 and r121s, Coles 4050 pair, AEA r88, and some others. All real nice ribbon mics, but the Samars sound as natural as the rover sf12, but with an extended and more balance freq response and larger sound.

I have also ordered a pair of these new Al95 and I bought a pair without hesitation. Yes, a longer wait than expected for them to ship and waiting with great anticipation.

I will say that the piston corrugated ribbons were used in Beyerdynamics and I think the early B&O BM ribbon mics, so I wasn't worried about the design concept and i generally like the sound of those older mics, despite clear modern performance differences. Mark actually repairs these mics with original style ribbons as there really aren't the places doing it with any consistency.

So i rather have high expectations for how Mark uses the Piston ribbon paired with his current hardware/components.

I would LOVE to use them on the piano or drums. I love the mF65 api on piano but if I had a something to mention it would be while there is plenty of bottom end on the MF and AL mics for sure, I would prefer the low end a little more punchy and articulate. So best case scenario would be that the piston corrugated might provide that slight added control or refinement in the low end.

I will lastly mentioned i have tased these MF and AL on remote locations and on a few occasions outdoors in less than ideal conditions. They are reliable and feel super sturdy, despite being ribbons. These AL95 do look a bit more lightweight in build design, but if they sound like others or better at this price point, hoping to buy more.

Disclaimer, just an audio renegade so take my opinions as just opinions.
Will probably take a while but I will try to report back with opinions on the AL95s after working with them a bit.

Also tempted by the OMNI condensers TF that Mark is putting out. Kind of in the price range of the Sony C100 which I have been eyeballing. wonder if anyone has one of these or a pair of these new TF condensers by SAMR/Omni?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Smokey - ivo sedlacek uses a tf omni here
spherical violin handpan duet schoeps mk2 samar tf01
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman View Post
Smokey - ivo sedlacek uses a tf omni here
spherical violin handpan duet schoeps mk2 samar tf01
Thanks so much for passing that link along. jnorman!

Yeah sounds lovely there. For sure curious how the dry audio sounds but for sure he is getting nice results and super cool he buys pairs!

A pair of the TF01 are indeed tempting. On this front, I think waiting for final product on the TF might be the way, certainly my wallet is telling me that. But also the AL95 seems more of a finished version and even if an active AL95 version is made available, I so far have preferred passive ribbons to active versions with other brands.

Thanks again jnorman and hope to see/hear more sound examples from those using the TF01 Samar mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Addict

Smokey Jazz, the "omni" condenser mikes are actually Omni8 TF08...and they're cardioid. Dr. Fouxman did something magic with a "frequency dependent screen" which minimizes proximity effect. I have a pair and they're "interesting." They totally lack the "zing" one expects from a large diaphragm condenser - if you want ribbon smooth in a cardioid, very forgiving of placement, they're worth a listen.
I have a pair of AL95 on order. Last i heard the bodies are backed up at the anodizer, due back this Friday. I love my VL37s; if the hall works with Blumlein they're my go-to pair for choir. Rugged as all get-out, too - I actually had a stand go over with them ten feet in the air and they survived unscathed. Note that the AL95 body IS the motor, unlike the MF65 and VL37, so they may be a bit more fragile.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Ahh yes, thanks RPC.
TF08 is the model. I read further in that TF01 (08) discussion link and have seen the product site as well and it is TF08 not 01.

Oh cool, so you have the most recent version? or they only released one version to everyone except this studio in the link, who got earlier prototypes and then a second version? Either way thanks for mentioning your pair and yes, the capsule and housing design of the TF08 looks super intriguing. I have read some positive feedback on vocals. What have you been happy using them on? How long did it take to get your pair of TF08?

Yeah, I have been keeping an eye on Samar's comments on AL95 completion. Yeah they look less sturdy by design and as you mention inherent to their structure. Probably lighterweight too. Sonics being the Priority here relative to the earlier models.
Cheers thanks again RPC
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Jazz piano and ribbon mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Jazz View Post
Ahh yes, thanks RPC.
TF08 is the model. I read further in that TF01 (08) discussion link and have seen the product site as well and it is TF08 not 01.

Oh cool, so you have the most recent version? or they only released one version to everyone except this studio in the link, who got earlier prototypes and then a second version? Either way thanks for mentioning your pair and yes, the capsule and housing design of the TF08 looks super intriguing. I have read some positive feedback on vocals. What have you been happy using them on? How long did it take to get your pair of TF08?

Yeah, I have been keeping an eye on Samar's comments on AL95 completion. Yeah they look less sturdy by design and as you mention inherent to their structure. Probably lighterweight too. Sonics being the Priority here relative to the earlier models.
Cheers thanks again RPC
Hello Smokey!
I checked your website, saw some friendly faces(pics from studio view).
Wondering how you mic piano with drum and bass with same room? I know I can’t seperate each instrument perfectly but want to try any method that I can, so if you can describe it that would be very helpful.
Also interested in this new mic from Samar as well.. let us know when you get them!
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoyjk View Post
Hello Smokey!
I checked your website, saw some friendly faces(pics from studio view).
Wondering how you mic piano with drum and bass with same room? I know I can’t seperate each instrument perfectly but want to try any method that I can, so if you can describe it that would be very helpful.
Also interested in this new mic from Samar as well.. let us know when you get them!
Hey shimoyjk,

Cheers happy to divulge the way it was being done at the time.

I have currently changed it to having the drums and Bass in a connecting room, still with direct sight lines, so not the same now.

But while obviously I do get better separation now, it was sounding just fine when I had piano, bass and drums in that space, with enough controlled bleed. The Switch was mostly for Space reasons, to give the players more comfort vs keeping another room for soloists.

While I did put up as many broadband acoustic gobo type pieces between instruments as I could when I was using that setting up, I will say the aspect I was relying upon the most is the side and top/bottom NULLS of the ribbon mics.

So piano was open, on the left and using Samar Mf65 pair in Blumlein and out of the piano but angle down facing the strings and the backside angling up towards the ceiling.

The upright Bass was next to piano directly basically, using Samar Al or AEA ribbon in front and maybe a SDC in the bridge or close up, I was having it face the bass but on the sides of the mic were the piano and drums.

Drums basically on the right but facing in, so the overheads, which were likely DPA cardioids 4022s and all cardioid or hyper on drums, used backside rejection etc....

Of course, this is EMBRACING the bleed, but when the side nulls of the ribbons are right, surprisingly it gets enough control to not get too much piano in the bass signal or drums etc.... furthermore I felt there was a nice whole group room sound when I got it dialed in.

One could of course close the lid and put mics inside the piano, but I try to avoid that and keep the piano open given that enough iso was achievable and I liked the jazz sounds I was getting.

Best of luck and hit me up anytime.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My experience with Samar, the VL373A, has been all good. Samar is my go-to mic and has performed way better than it did in the ribbon shoot out. Others here can attest to that. And if I thought I had a need for a good wide cardioid I'd have bought the new one from Samar. That's my opinion from my experience.
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

Important Side Bar Note:

As many may already know, we now have two additional sub-forums.

If you want to get the full experience of the 'Remote Possibilities in Location Recording and Production' forum and its topics, consider subscribing to them.

Any new post in these categories will not come up on your 'New Subscribed Threads' notifications unless you subscribe to them.

IMHO, having these new sub-forums, 'All Things Technical' and 'Mobile & Location Rigs' will prove to be a great addition to this awesome Remotester-centric forum!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search