The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samar Debuts A New Figure-of-eight Ribbon
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by VlaVlnPlayer View Post
Some early adopter has left a review (with sound samples) here: Samar Audio Design AL 95

Good to see an initial review with acoustic music (chamber plus saxophone) audio samples at last.....a bit disconcerting to read of rust appearing so early on the side panels (dissimilar metals: screws vs side plate possibly the cause here ?)
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Good to see an initial review with acoustic music (chamber plus saxophone) audio samples at last.....a bit disconcerting to read of rust appearing so early on the side panels (dissimilar metals: screws vs side plate possibly the cause here ?)
Studer58,

I have addressed those problems on another forum, but here in the review section the system doesn't allow any follow up after the review. I will post it here:

RPC,

Thank you for your feedback! I will address the rust and shock mount problems.

Most likely, it is a surface rust due to temperature changing during shipping, which created condensation. It is very easy to wipe off with ScotchBright. If you don't have a piece please let me know and I will send it your way. From now on we will be shipping the mics in ziplock bags with silica packs, to absorb any moisture and prevent the problem.

The shock mount is indeed not the ideal, however, we could not find any other solution without raising the price and this mount is the only one with shock absorption ring available--the smaller size version, which would fit the body perfectly unfortunately has been discontinued. On the low part of the body you can see threading. That one is for our optional mount we are working on at the moment. This one is very effective, slick, elegant, and unobtrusive. It should be available very soon. Also, we made that threading interchangeable with most of the import spider mounts, which can be easily found online. Rycote, of course, is also an option.

Here is a 'Sound on Sound' introduction, where you can see the mount I was talking about. The production version will come in black:

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC View Post
I have a pair of AL95 on order. Last i heard the bodies are backed up at the anodizer, due back this Friday. I love my VL37s; if the hall works with Blumlein they're my go-to pair for choir. Rugged as all get-out, too - I actually had a stand go over with them ten feet in the air and they survived unscathed. Note that the AL95 body IS the motor, unlike the MF65 and VL37, so they may be a bit more fragile.
RPC, thank you for posting those recent audio samples....are you able to supply any additional background about the recording settings used with them etc miking distance, type of room, were other supporting mics used etc ?

I'm interested to determine if you find there's any particular 'signature' in their sound (eg are they full sounding or thin at a given distance, compared with your VL37's for example)..... which might give an idea of where they sit in the family spectrum of ribbon mics... or any particular areas of miking you find they either shine or lose out (eg choirs, orchestral, chamber, solo instrument etc), again using your VL37's as a reference for comparison ?
Old 3 weeks ago
RPC
Gear Addict
studer58, I assume you mean the AL95 samples? They're both Blumlein, feeding a Mixpre-6 (first generation), no other mikes. The soprano/piano was recorded in a "salon" (https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w) and the sax quartet was recorded in a church (https://stmarysatpenn.org/wp-content...h2-768x576.jpg). The salon was new to me and I was winging it; in retrospect I'd have gone a little closer. Those are the only recordings I've made with them so far; given I've only had them a week I don't think I'm doing too badly! I have a flute recital scheduled in a few days where I expect to use them. If I get permission I'll add a clip to my review.
As to a signature, the word that comes to mind is "ease" - they just feel like they're kicking back and enjoying the music. The VL37 has more of a "classic ribbon vibe" - it's got more of the euphonic "sweetness" I associate with the words "ribbon microphone." (Though all the Samar ribbons exhibit an extended high end that is lacking in, say, the RCA 44BX sound.)
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Thanks so much for posting these, can't wait to get my mic. I just love ribbons on fiddles, banjos and mandolins. Sounds like this one may work for many more instruments.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
studer58, I assume you mean the AL95 samples? They're both Blumlein, feeding a Mixpre-6 (first generation), no other mikes. The soprano/piano was recorded in a "salon" (https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...pg?format=750w) and the sax quartet was recorded in a church (https://stmarysatpenn.org/wp-content...h2-768x576.jpg). The salon was new to me and I was winging it; in retrospect I'd have gone a little closer. Those are the only recordings I've made with them so far; given I've only had them a week I don't think I'm doing too badly! I have a flute recital scheduled in a few days where I expect to use them. If I get permission I'll add a clip to my review.
As to a signature, the word that comes to mind is "ease" - they just feel like they're kicking back and enjoying the music. The VL37 has more of a "classic ribbon vibe" - it's got more of the euphonic "sweetness" I associate with the words "ribbon microphone." (Though all the Samar ribbons exhibit an extended high end that is lacking in, say, the RCA 44BX sound.)
Really fine examples! I found the sax quartet to sound extraordinarily natural and realistic, with very nice dynamic punch and good frequency response. Better even than what I had hoped to hear out of these microphones. Nice depth too, only a little narrow as a result of the blumlein technique. The other recording is indeed a bit too far away sounding. Thank you for making them available.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Really fine examples! I found the sax quartet to sound extraordinarily natural and realistic, with very nice dynamic punch and good frequency response. Better even than what I had hoped to hear out of these microphones. Nice depth too, only a little narrow as a result of the blumlein technique. The other recording is indeed a bit too far away sounding. Thank you for making them available.
I had a similar reaction [referring to the sax quartet]...in particular there seemed a kind of (entirely natural) 'weight in transients' in the mid and lower end that surprised me. Mr Fouxman, can I ask you: is the 'piston' ribbon design more efficient than the conventional 'zig zag' design in converting the sound energy of a transient into electrical signal (voltage)?

And, supposing you met an engineer who had no budget constraints: in what kind of application would you advise him/her to use an AL95 rather than the 37/65 series, and vice versa, and does the AL95 now supersede the AL39?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks so much for sharing these great examples. That sax quartet recording is especially fantastic. A pair of these might just be my next mic purchase.

Would you please share what the rest of your recording chain was? I'm wondering if these need a preamp with gobs of gain like other passive ribbons. I know that there is an active version in the works also.
Old 1 week ago
RPC
Gear Addict
Voltronic,

"The rest of my recording chain" was a Sound Devices Mixpre-6 set to 57dB gain. Regarding an active version, I believe Mark has stated that it's quite cramped in the AL95 body; he's either going to have to go surface mount or do something that fits on the bottom.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Voltronic,

"The rest of my recording chain" was a Sound Devices Mixpre-6 set to 57dB gain. Regarding an active version, I believe Mark has stated that it's quite cramped in the AL95 body; he's either going to have to go surface mount or do something that fits on the bottom.
Thanks. I was curious if you needed to use a Cloudlifter / DM1 or similar inline device. 57 dB isn't really all that much gain compared to other ribbons.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search