The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is anyone running a studio with solar power?
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
The world awaits your unveil of the first Lunar panel
I suspect that solar panels exhibit something like the reciprocity effect in photographic film. That is, it takes a certain number of photons over a certain amount of time to "register" and make something happen. I think of it as a threshold event, but I'm sure the engineers that research and design solar photovoltaics have a specific jargon for it.

What I'm trying to say is that I suspect you can't get enough photons from the moon to cross that threshold and cause any current to flow. So I doubt any "lunar panel" is forthcoming. Sorry.
Old 12th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
...thus the time-honored ritual of sweeping the snow off the panels. Doing it in a bathrobe, and the wind channels a bit of it down your chest... refreshing!
Bunny slippers or boots? And since this *is* Gearslutz, what brand of broom?
Old 12th September 2019
Old 12th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
Bunny slippers or boots? And since this *is* Gearslutz, what brand of broom?
You know how eventually "waterproof" boots will bust at their seams? So they are no longer "proof" but "*pretty* repellent of *frozen* water"? I keep those on the landing, on the way to the roof deck.

And over the years I've run through a selection of "kiddie plastic snow shovels* and various garage-style brooms, but at long last, arriving at the place I started and knowing it for the first time, I've settled on The Extender Snowbroom from the Hopkins Manufacturing Corporation. I'll end this like a Mix magazine product review: if you're looking for something to efficiently and reliably sweep the snow off your panels, you owe it to yourself to check it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Is anyone running a studio with solar power?-img_0120.jpg  
Old 13th September 2019
Here in San Diego we pay people to clean the bird crap off the panels. We don't get enough rain for that here.
Old 13th September 2019
Gear Guru

This is all fun to read. I live in a place where I have to skim a little frost off the windshield maybe 4 mornings a year. You can't find an ice scraper at the drugstore, so I use my Costco card.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search