The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New MixPre10 II substantially cheaper than MixPre10T?
Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipporu View Post
Why?
MixPre-3 646,22 €
647+(647 - 500)x0.3+10+20 = 721.1 € only.
We are talking about the median profitability of citizens.
For example, the average salary in Russia is about £400/mo. Yes, i’m not mistake in zeros.
Are you ready to buy this device (doesn’t matter of generation) for £8000?
Of course, no.
But i had to do it.
And now... SURPRISE!!!
Old 1st September 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by linkevich View Post
Ok, I forgot about the local nuances.
Keep your eyes on Boris (the UK one) for the next few months....
Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Keep your eyes on Boris (the UK one) for the next few months....
I’ll try to do it, but it will not easy because the news and dirty political games is not my main interests
Old 1st September 2019
Here for the gear

Ok folks, i have to relax!
I don't want for this sad event to overshadow my and your good mood.
In any case, the mixpre10T (1'st) is still works well and performs his tasks.
But when i will update my gears, I'll don’t buy SD again.
There are many equally worthy brands that never allow such a "racket" with their customers.

Peace, friendship and chewing gum for everyone!
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Meh. I won't lie and say I wasn't disappointed originally, but I'm not going to get down on a company for adding new features to an existing product; and, to be honest, I've made this far without ever using a 32-bit recorder; I'm sure it's a nice feature to have, but is it necessary?
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBono View Post
...but is it necessary?
For thoose, who make classical music recordings – exactly yes!
Old 6th September 2019
Yeah, I think of how many great classical recordings still highly regarded as pinnacles of fidelity were made on 14, 16, and 18 bit systems.

I like the idea of a 32 bit converter because I like to use that format when I need an intermediary between programs, and having the file recorded that way seems convenient. But it’s hardly a necessity. Interested to see if more manufacturers pursue 32 bit converters as a new standard (RME, Merging, DAD, etc).

Quote:
For thoose, who make classical music recordings – exactly yes!
Old 6th September 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
And yet, think of how many great classical recordings that we still hold in high regard were made on 14, 16, and 18 bit systems...
Yes, you right. But now – another technologies and aproches to the recording.
With 32 bits we can to forget about clipping and don’t use any limiters and other dynamic gears.
Analogue tapes has a big range and good resist for overloads (i’ve a long time works in analogue), but it’s absolutely another way and “religion”.
Sorry for my stupid English.
Old 6th September 2019
Gear Guru
Doesn't the current MixPre have 32bit converters technically? The new ones are floating point whatever that brings to the table right?
I don't see that as a huge deal but maybe I'm missing something.......

Given what it has in it a Mixpre is amazing for the money. I think they're able to capitalize on the design. A DI would be great but not sure how they'd do that if you use a control surface...... Yeah the reverb bug is annoying and CS is fantastic!......... Hope they continue updates and don't see why not. The new units aren't that different.......
Old 7th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Doesn't the current MixPre have 32bit converters technically? The new ones are floating point whatever that brings to the table right?
I don't see that as a huge deal but maybe I'm missing something.......

Given what it has in it a Mixpre is amazing for the money. I think they're able to capitalize on the design. A DI would be great but not sure how they'd do that if you use a control surface...... Yeah the reverb bug is annoying and CS is fantastic!......... Hope they continue updates and don't see why not. The new units aren't that different.......
The first generation had 32 bit converters, probably the same ones as the new series, but they could not record a 32 bit float file. Only the internal processing was 32 bit. I don't know if I would ever record in anything greater than fixed 24 bit, but the improbability of digital clipping even without limiters makes the 32 bit float resolution somewhat appealing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
But when i will update my gears, I'll don’t buy SD again.
There are many equally worthy brands that never allow such a "racket" with their customers.
Your first generation MixPre will make great recording for years to come and will demonstrate how well made SD products are. SD will continue to release updates and improve it if as can while Zoom and Tascam will continue to walk away from discontinued products and never look back as they've always done.

There's no racket. Just a company innovating in a quickly changing market and offering a better product at a better price point to stay competitive in this segment of the market.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_ View Post
Your first generation MixPre will make great recording for years to come and will demonstrate how well made SD products are. SD will continue to release updates and improve it if as can while Zoom and Tascam will continue to walk away from discontinued products and never look back as they've always done.

There's no racket. Just a company innovating in a quickly changing market and offering a better product at a better price point to stay competitive in this segment of the market.
Agree with most points, but from which products have Zoom or Tascam walked away and never looked back? The latest update of the H6 firmware is from January this year and it is a 5 or 6 years old product. I own a Musiccam from Zoom that is even older and I still receive updates for the software that really improve the use of the cam.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Agree with most points, but from which products have Zoom or Tascam walked away and never looked back? The latest update of the H6 firmware is from January this year and it is a 5 or 6 years old product. I own a Musiccam from Zoom that is even older and I still receive updates for the software that really improve the use of the cam.

I don't think Sound Devices are walking away from the MixPre I series. They released an update for it just last week, and have signalled their intentions to continue during so into the future on their facebook group...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk_ View Post
SD will continue to release updates and improve it if as can while Zoom and Tascam will continue to walk away from discontinued products and never look back as they've always done.
My Zoom R16 was released around 10 years ago and still received a driver update this year.

I'm not sure they are so hot on repairs as SD would be, rather tending to throw away and offer a replacement (but that's the current non-viable economics of repairing surface mount soldered boards, high labour costs, low cost of components...in other words, typical market forces impinging on most 'consumer goods' within the last 20 years)

SD is certainly not your typical consumer goods mfr, neither are their products !
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
... which products have Zoom or Tascam walked away and never looked back?
The original Zoom H4 hasn't had a firmware update since April of 2015 and it's not what I'd consider reliable. I've moved on from Zoom products completely.

Tascam's DV-RA1000 was introduced in 2005 and the last firmware update is from 2007. The transports are delicate and fail. Replacements aren't available.

I have a couple of SD mic pres and recorders that are older and have never skipped a beat. And they can be serviced if they do.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
...which products have Zoom or Tascam walked away and never looked back?
Well Tascam at least has walked away from more products than the rest of the audio industry combined. Tape Portastudios and Gigastudio sampler anyone?

My Mixpre 10 II arrived a few days ago and I am happy to say the noise performance is vastly superior to my original Mixpre 6, especially the preamp performance. I am noticing a 15-20dB lower noise floor when the gain is cranked up. Not sure if that is a Mixpre 6 vs. 10 issue as they are powered differently, or if it is a benefit of the new versions, but it makes me happy.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Well Tascam at least has walked away from more products than the rest of the audio industry combined. Tape Portastudios and Gigastudio sampler anyone?
How dare they abandon tape for something different..the nerve of some companies !

My old Portastudio 244 cassette-based recorder was built like a tank, very rugged indeed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portastudio
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
How dare they abandon tape for something different..the nerve of some companies !
Right!?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:

My old Portastudio 244 cassette-based recorder was built like a tank, very rugged indeed. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portastudio
Those really were good decks. I know of at least one studio that still have it on the desk and use it regularly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Super Moderator

Important Side Bar Note:

As many may already know, we now have two additional sub-forums.

If you want to get the full experience of the 'Remote Possibilities in Location Recording and Production' forum and its topics, consider subscribing to them.

Any new post in these categories will not come up on your 'New Subscribed Threads' notifications unless you subscribe to them.

IMHO, having these new sub-forums, 'All Things Technical' and 'Mobile & Location Rigs' will prove to be a great addition to this awesome Remotester-centric forum!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search