The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CM4 Is Here. Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
  #151
Lives for gear
 
voltronic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
Thanks for the tip...much appreciated !
I'm assuming these work outdoors in mild to moderate wind conditions, but maybe you could comment whether there's some cutoff point where they start failing to protect...where a fluffy Rycote or similar blimp would take over ? It's down to cost/benefit/bulk of kit considerations of course, but have you noticed conditions outdoors where it struggles to cope eg coastal winds ?
I don't have the breadth of experience to answer definitively. I have never used a blimp because I cannot justify such an expense. Clearly, a $16 slip-on windscreen is going to fail long before a $700 Rycote Cyclone.

The only outdoor recording I do is August-November in high school and college football stadiums. We don't get gale-force winds, but sometimes in November we have gotten 20-30 mph gusts or possibly a bit higher during these shows, and with these Movo windscreens I have only occasionally heard wind noise in my recordings. What I can say is that since I have had these, the wind has not buffeted the diaphragm to the point of distortion, as it did with my previous Rode furry screens and another pair of "dead cat" style fur-over-foam that I had.

For my use, I feel these Movos are a ridiculous value given their performance. If you are that curious about them, why don't you pick up a pair? They are priced at an impulse-purchase level. They also have a similar series with furry covering rather than woven nylon that are priced a bit higher.
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
  #152
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I don't have the breadth of experience to answer definitively. I have never used a blimp because I cannot justify such an expense. Clearly, a $16 slip-on windscreen is going to fail long before a $700 Rycote Cyclone.

The only outdoor recording I do is August-November in high school and college football stadiums. We don't get gale-force winds, but sometimes in November we have gotten 20-30 mph gusts or possibly a bit higher during these shows, and with these Movo windscreens I have only occasionally heard wind noise in my recordings. What I can say is that since I have had these, the wind has not buffeted the diaphragm to the point of distortion, as it did with my previous Rode furry screens and another pair of "dead cat" style fur-over-foam that I had.

For my use, I feel these Movos are a ridiculous value given their performance. If you are that curious about them, why don't you pick up a pair? They are priced at an impulse-purchase level. They also have a similar series with furry covering rather than woven nylon that are priced a bit higher.
Yes that description of your outdoor scenario would match mine, so I think it's a safe bet...the additionally furry version might offer more protection but since the CM3 appears to be a little more susceptible to win buffeting than other cardioids ( indoor air experience) and your experience validated their use, I'm happy the cheaper version will do the job
Old 28th April 2020 | Show parent
  #153
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blandest View Post
I was looking for a windscreen. Thanks for this. What size of WST50 are you using with the CM4?

Oh, I see. Each length has its own model number and the WST50 refers to the 3cm.
Old 4th May 2020 | Show parent
  #154
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I don't have the breadth of experience to answer definitively. I have never used a blimp because I cannot justify such an expense. Clearly, a $16 slip-on windscreen is going to fail long before a $700 Rycote Cyclone.

The only outdoor recording I do is August-November in high school and college football stadiums. We don't get gale-force winds, but sometimes in November we have gotten 20-30 mph gusts or possibly a bit higher during these shows, and with these Movo windscreens I have only occasionally heard wind noise in my recordings. What I can say is that since I have had these, the wind has not buffeted the diaphragm to the point of distortion, as it did with my previous Rode furry screens and another pair of "dead cat" style fur-over-foam that I had.

For my use, I feel these Movos are a ridiculous value given their performance. If you are that curious about them, why don't you pick up a pair? They are priced at an impulse-purchase level. They also have a similar series with furry covering rather than woven nylon that are priced a bit higher.
Thanks Voltronic, for bringing these Movo WST50 windscreens to my attention. Do you know if they'll fit Line Audio OM1 too?

::
Mads
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
  #155
Lives for gear
 
voltronic's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Thanks Voltronic, for bringing these Movo WST50 windscreens to my attention. Do you know if they'll fit Line Audio OM1 too?

::
Mads
I don't own the OM1, but you should be more than OK.

While the OM1 has the taper to the diaphragm end that the CM3/CM4 does not, you also don't have to worry about covering the back vents. I just stuck one of these onto my ring finger, and the rubber ring covers my second knuckle. Followed up with digital calipers, and I get about 5 cm before you hit the foam.
Old 8th May 2020 | Show parent
  #156
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I don't own the OM1, but you should be more than OK.

While the OM1 has the taper to the diaphragm end that the CM3/CM4 does not, you also don't have to worry about covering the back vents. I just stuck one of these onto my ring finger, and the rubber ring covers my second knuckle. Followed up with digital calipers, and I get about 5 cm before you hit the foam.
Thanks for your reply voltronic - I already ordered some, as I read somewhere else that the 3cm depth is actually more and your description confirms that.
So maybe we should just read the name WSTT50 as 50mm, as this would be closer to reality.

::
Mads
Old 16th May 2020 | Show parent
  #157
Lives for gear
 
James Lehmann's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
Shapeways CM3/CM4 NOS mount for my CM4 pair.
how to mount it to a mic stand.... there's no thread mount!
I've got a spring-loaded mic-clip but that seems a far from satisfactory solution...
Well, I'm answering my own question here but my temporary 'lockdown' solution is a spring clip and a cheap decorators sponge - works great, although obviously not a long-term or safe overhead solution!

I'm also very much liking the sound I'm getting from my CM4s testing them on my home piano (5' Chappell baby grand) with this NOS array - the mics are just outside the lid about 1.2m up in the 'bend' of the main body; a nice full sound with not too much room. This piano is all about its warm, ringing mids and for this the CN4s are absolutely stellar (with some DAV preamps).
Attached Thumbnails
CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-cm4s.jpg   CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-piano.jpg  

Last edited by James Lehmann; 16th May 2020 at 10:30 AM..
Old 16th May 2020 | Show parent
  #158
Lives for gear
Great innovative hack Jim ! Going a bit further, I wonder if you'd get better suspension by wetting the sponge and then wringing it out thoroughly...so the cell structure of the foam becomes spongier, more compliant and elastic ? A side effect might be that the sponge becomes more compressible, so you might need to double them up...as the spring clamp will tend to compress them more when moist
Old 16th May 2020
  #159
Gear Nut
 

I wonder if a single layer of *bubble wrap" would work well. (1 each side of the bar - like a sandwich). Should be reasonably stable.
B.
EDIT: I believe a smaller bubble size would be preferable. Perhaps try a stationery supply store. They may carry approx. 1/4" bubble sheets. Postal stations should also carry bubble mailing envelopes with small size bubbles that you could cut to size.
Old 25th August 2020 | Show parent
  #160
Here for the gear
 
Kaffein's Avatar
 

Lightbulb

Anyone care to share any stereo ORTF ambient field recordings with the CM4?
I haven't seen a single example since these came out. Only musical examples.
Old 26th August 2020 | Show parent
  #161
Lives for gear
I thought you might appreciate this testament to the toughness of the Line Audio mics (check out post no.5): Line Audio OM1s plus MixPre, up close
Old 27th September 2020 | Show parent
  #162
Here for the gear
 

Upgrade from CM2?

Has anyone compared the CM4 agains the CM2?
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #163
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannej View Post
Has anyone compared the CM4 agains the CM2?
Am I the only one wondering what a CM2 is?
Old 19th October 2020
  #164
Lives for gear
 
jpgerard's Avatar
The CM2 came before the CM3 and is closer to the CM3 (more info on Line Audio's discontinued page).
Old 19th October 2020 | Show parent
  #165
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Am I the only one wondering what a CM2 is?
Ooops, Line Audio discontinued CM2 in 2005! Came before CM3 ;-)

Time flies...

http://www.lineaudio.se/historical.html
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2058 views: 393043
Avatar for jamesmafyew
jamesmafyew 24th September 2020
replies: 79 views: 42699
Avatar for Lucas_G
Lucas_G 6th December 2018
replies: 253 views: 13814
Avatar for Piedpiper
Piedpiper 7th February 2020
replies: 7 views: 780
Avatar for 2manyrocks
2manyrocks 8th March 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump