The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CM4 Is Here. Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on
Old 8th October 2019
Gear Addict

Just got my cm4's sounds pretty nice! Just recorded my upright I attached a short snippet
Attached Files

piano test.mp3 (570.0 KB, 1826 views)

Old 9th October 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks - what about config/placement?
Old 9th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Thanks - what about config/placement?
See picture for placement. Preamps are soundkulptor mp 5.66. In the box only a hi-pass.
Attached Thumbnails
CM4 Is Here.  Let's start a thread for it and let the CM3 go on-img-20191008-wa0003.jpg  
Old 13th October 2019
Here for the gear
Would you recomend the CM4 for drum overheads?
I'm at the moment considering AKG c451b.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Sueco View Post
451b's are nasty, don't go there.....
Old 13th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
451b's are nasty, don't go there.....
Sometimes i regret not going for a pair of old 541's (without the "b"), not shure if they would have been equally nasty though, hehe.

Here in the thread, it seems like a bunch of experienced folks are using the CM4 for "less loud" and "less percussive" material as opposed to drum OH's. Is there anything I should know about theese babies???
Old 14th October 2019
Lives for gear

The original 451 with CK1 was actually quite flat (not CK1S, which had a treble boost), then first rev., which sold in large numbers, added a bit of top end and the current Electret version C451b has the most out top end boost.

Actually I have lots of customers using CM3's and now CM4's for percussion and as overhead. There's plenty of headroom and the moderate output level helps setting up mic pre gain without clipping. Some high output SDC's have pretty hot outputs requiring a pad with most mic pres on loud sources.
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Posting for the first time on GS just to say YES. The CM3s have become my favorite drum overheads -- I often prefer them to Josephson C42s, Beesneez Lulu FETs, KM184s, C414s, etc., all of which I think are much much nicer than the C451B.

I bought a pair of CM4s just because I wanted the sound of the CM3 but with a little more ceiling bounce rejection, since I am often tracking drums in a relatively dead room with only a 9 foot ceiling. They are, as expected, exactly that.

I know this corner of GS is primarily populated by recordists who are dealing with classical ensembles and live situations, but I primarily do experimental rock and heavy music in a multitracking environment, and find myself reaching for the Line Audio mics all the time -- especially on piano, drums, and acoustic guitar.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sometimes i regret not going for a pair of old 541's (without the "b"), not shure if they would have been equally nasty though, hehe.

Here in the thread, it seems like a bunch of experienced folks are using the CM4 for "less loud" and "less percussive" material as opposed to drum OH's. Is there anything I should know about theese babies???
The old 'screw the capsule on' ones are really nice mics I think. It's just the new, one piece 451b's that suck big. The old ones are a sort of slim but classy sound.
Old 24th October 2019
Here for the gear

I don't have any clips of full-on loud drums handy, but here are some samples of the CM3s as overheads on a metal-brushed drum kit in the aforementioned small/dead room. One is just the CM3s with no processing, the other is the whole drum bus, which had the overhead tracks going through Distressors, and the drum bus with a very gentle parallel 1176 and some room sim. Simple mic setup -- other than the CM3s, I had 414s on toms, M160 on snare, CAD E100 about 2 ft out from the kick drum.

The only difference between the CM3s and the CM4s in this application is that the CM4s provide less of the [bad] room sound.

Full track, mixed/mastered, is here: https://theanaesthete.bandcamp.com/track/57844
Attached Files
Old 27th October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmafyew View Post
Posting for the first time on GS just to say YES. The CM3s have become my favorite drum overheads -- I often prefer them to Josephson C42s, Beesneez Lulu FETs, KM184s, C414s, etc., all of which I think are much much nicer than the C451B.

I bought a pair of CM4s just because I wanted the sound of the CM3 but with a little more ceiling bounce rejection, since I am often tracking drums in a relatively dead room with only a 9 foot ceiling. They are, as expected, exactly that.

I know this corner of GS is primarily populated by recordists who are dealing with classical ensembles and live situations, but I primarily do experimental rock and heavy music in a multitracking environment, and find myself reaching for the Line Audio mics all the time -- especially on piano, drums, and acoustic guitar.
Thank's for your input!

I have ordered a pair of CM4's.
And yesterday I picked up a pair of CM3's that I found on eBay, cost me 308€. The comment earlier in the thread about "vintage CM3's for sale" was not that far out, haha!

Keen to try them now.
Old 28th October 2019
Lives for gear

Roger still has parts to make a few CM3's at regular pricing. Don't get scalped on eBay. Some sellers will not hesitate to bump up prices...
Old 31st October 2019
I have a cm3 that is used solo for acoustic guitar and (taped to a beta 87c for vocals. and it sounds great although a bit quiet. I was hoping the cm4 had a bass roll off switch. I may have to try the Lewitt lct140 air.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

CM3 Marching Band Clips

Here are a couple samples of recordings from the last few weeks of high school marching band competitions. CM3s were in a SRS Hybrid mount (30 cm, 110 deg) and fitted with Movo WSST50 windscreens. Recorder was the new Zoom F6.

These recordings were not made in the most optimal location, but at dead center and all the way up at the top of the stands at the press box in high school stadiums. I would estimate about 25 yards from the near sideline, and about 30-40 ft above field level. These recordings are only for archival and student feedback purposes, but the organization running the events designates only one area for this, which is all the way up top at the press box. Great for video; less so for audio.

Given the distant placement, I think it's impressive how much treble isn't lost by the CM3s.

(Side note: 32-bit float recording is a game-changer in this kind of run-and-gun setup.)
Attached Files

MBexcerpt01.mp3 (2.76 MB, 620 views)

MBexcerpt02.mp3 (5.40 MB, 625 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Dear friends,

Funny, this is the CM-4 thread and some of you still write about the CM-3...And I agree.

I have 10 CM-3 and 4 CM-4. On few sessions I tried the CM-4 as a replacement of the CM-3, normally I use these CM-3 to spot the woodwinds.

I must say that I don't have the same pleasure with the CM-4 that I have with The CM-3. With the CM-4 I miss low medium and low end, it sounds thinner.
Please stop looking to the graphs, be abble to make your own comparaison before killing me...and... just listen.

The CM-4 sounds good, no problem! Regarding the price it's a miracle to have a so good microphone with a "chinese" price.

But with a Neumann/Schoeps based kit for orchestral recording and to my ears, the CM-3 keep its place as spot for woodwinds but the CM-4 no.

This is my opinion, my taste and my choice. I did enough production including these microphones to give my feeling, I don't need to be conviced by another opinion. This is just my expérience.

Fred
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I posted my CM3 clips here because I thought the old CM3 thread was no longer being used.
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

FYI, there is no such thing as a dead or "no longer being used" thread on the Remote Possibilities... Forum.

It's encouraged to find, read and post in old threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I posted my CM3 clips here because I thought the old CM3 thread was no longer being used.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Dear friends,

Funny, this is the CM-4 thread and some of you still write about the CM-3...And I agree.

I have 10 CM-3 and 4 CM-4. On few sessions I tried the CM-4 as a replacement of the CM-3, normally I use these CM-3 to spot the woodwinds.

I must say that I don't have the same pleasure with the CM-4 that I have with The CM-3. With the CM-4 I miss low medium and low end, it sounds thinner.
Please stop looking to the graphs, be abble to make your own comparaison before killing me...and... just listen.

The CM-4 sounds good, no problem! Regarding the price it's a miracle to have a so good microphone with a "chinese" price.

But with a Neumann/Schoeps based kit for orchestral recording and to my ears, the CM-3 keep its place as spot for woodwinds but the CM-4 no.

This is my opinion, my taste and my choice. I did enough production including these microphones to give my feeling, I don't need to be conviced by another opinion. This is just my expérience.

Fred
Very, very weird as I feel the exact opposite, unless we're talking real distant mic'ing, where the added prox. effect of the CM4 is somewhat obvious (meaning it would, by comparison, show more of an LF drop at longer distances). Keep in mind the CM3 was a very wide Cardioid, so it has some of that relaxed Omni type prox. effect. Again, they're different, which is why Roger named the CM4, well, CM4... instead of going with CM3MKII or such. The CM4 can't be used exactly like a CM3, sorry... there will be a learning curve, as there was with the CM3. Used as a more traditional Cardioid it won't disappoint. Used as a wide Cardioid, like the CM3, results may vary...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
I still get Emails from that thread so it's still quite alive
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search