The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sound Devices Scorpio, 36 tracks recorder
Old 22nd June 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Yes - I agree - plenty of talk on JW and even here. But please point me to a post about a user of the Scorpio that discusses the mic pres and audio quality? I suppose it is too soon. Thanks for taking the time to post. I appreciate it.
Have you asked this @ JW? That's the most likely place I know of to get an answer from someone who has actually bought one.
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Scorpio eq

Hello dears,
I wonder if the eq’s of the Sound Devices 8 series are in the analog domain and if one can use the effects on the direct out mixed sound, bypassing the AD conversion, to use it as an analog mixer so to speak?
I am looking for a solution to record eq-d sound to a tape and dsd which did not pass trough PCM.
If yes, how do they sound, did anybody experience it?
Thanks a lot,
Warm greetings!
Old 26th April 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogutopia View Post
I wonder if the eq’s of the Sound Devices 8 series are in the analog domain and if one can use the effects on the direct out mixed sound, bypassing the AD conversion, to use it as an analog mixer so to speak?
I am looking for a solution to record eq-d sound to a tape and dsd which did not pass trough PCM.
The manual describes the high-pass filters as '1st stage analog (before preamp), 2nd stage digital', and given that the rest of the EQ (i.e. after preamp) is fully graphically programmable in the manner of a normal digital desk, it's hard to imagine that it's anything but digital.

In any case, this seems like an extremely expensive solution to a relatively simple problem. If portability isn't paramount, what's wrong with any hardware EQ?

If you want a portable, highest-quality analog mixer with EQ, buy a Sonosax. Might even be cheaper than a Scorpio
Old 26th April 2020
Here for the gear

Thanks for your answer ithinknot :-)
I was aming at the 833, I do have a MixPre 6 that goes into a camera, if the 833 could be remplacing it and doing the eq job it could be the most ergonomic/economic solution. But I am afraid you are right, it will have to be a sonosax or an old Studer or Cooper or? Any other ideas?
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
Greetings !
📝 Reply