The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging Anubis
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

Merging Anubis

Deserves its own new thread. Monitoring, headphone mixes, talkback over Ravenna, two channels mic amp, DXD/DSD.
YouTube

Last edited by David Spearritt; 1st March 2019 at 11:30 PM..
Old 1st March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Deserves its own new thread. Monitoring, headphone mixes, talkback over Ravenna.
YouTube

So, is this a Ravenna functional version of a Rednet AM2 (Dante) that adds talkback? Or is there more that I'm missing (DXD/DSD, or uber D/A, or ????)

Edit: Got the impression in another thread that this is much more. If I understand it, it's 4 channels of ADC, 5 or 6 channels of DAC, plus a couple of preamps, plus the DSD/DXD codecs, plus onboard bitbuckets to make it a recorder. Very cool.

Last edited by TMetzinger; 1st March 2019 at 05:46 PM..
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear
Yay for the thought. A product such as this has been a long time coming. I’m still bummed that Cymatic ended its development of a similar project a few years ago. I can’t wait to see how expensive this is.
Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

As of last October, a physically small stand alone Ravenna/AES67 networked 4 channel recorder (two channels with mic pres) including up to 5 (5.1?) channel DAC monitoring, of all the currently Merging supported PCM and DSD sample and bit rates. A very competitively priced stand alone high performance recorder, and with its onboard Zman processor, a desirable addition to networking with HAPI/Horus to provide a powerful monitoring solution, and then some.

Tom
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

YouTube

Teaser is online

I’ve been waiting my butt off for something like this. Price is as far as I hear a bit steep but worth it I think.
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

I for one has placed a pre-order and hope to receive mine as soon as available in Scandinavia. I hear I’m not the only one interested...
Old 1st March 2019
Lives for gear

How Steep??

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
YouTube

Teaser is online

I’ve been waiting my butt off for something like this. Price is as far as I hear a bit steep but worth it I think.
What price is expected.....
Old 1st March 2019
Here for the gear

We've been working on similar solutions. The Ward-Beck preMO-221 and preMO-222.

Networked dual mic/line preamplifier with Stereo Mic In, Dual Headset Out or Line Output & PoE capability - AES67 SMPTE 2110-30 Ravenna®

Old 1st March 2019
Gear Maniac

Nice glom Ward, but not very similar. Maybe you should start your own thread to announce your device's capabilities?
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesH View Post
I for one has placed a pre-order and hope to receive mine as soon as available in Scandinavia. I hear I’m not the only one interested...
Hi, where is it available for pre-order?

Also, I assume you've seen pictures and seen specs?

Can you or anyone here, please share these pictures and specs here, for us?

I'm mostly interested in Ravenna input and D-to-A (2-channel).

Many thanks
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

How Much???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Hi, where is it available for pre-order?

Also, I assume you've seen pictures and seen specs?

Can you or anyone here, please share these pictures and specs here, for us?

I'm mostly interested in Ravenna input and D-to-A (2-channel).

Many thanks
How Much????
Old 2nd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 View Post
How Much????
In what currency?

Don't think pricing has been finalised yet.
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Head

It's hard to tell from the short YouTube video but can someone guess what the connections on the back are?

From left to right?

Are there any analogue RCA outputs or only XLR?
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
In what currency?

Don't think pricing has been finalised yet.
Euros
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Head

@ Ward_Beck

What PCM and DSD sample rates are supported with preMO-221, via Ravenna input?

And what is the balanced analogue output voltage?

And the headphone's output impedance?
Old 3rd March 2019
Judging by what their other stuff costs probably EXPENSIVE.
Old 3rd March 2019
Probably around $3000 if they want to be "competitively priced" (comparing to Prism Sound Lyra 2)

I could certainly use something like this in my editing room.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

It's Swiss.
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
Judging by what their other stuff costs probably EXPENSIVE.
When it is really good it might not be that expensive after all....
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Probably around $3000 if they want to be "competitively priced" (comparing to Prism Sound Lyra 2)

I could certainly use something like this in my editing room.
My knowledge about US pricing is that it's quite a bit less than that. But as David points out, the pricing probably has not yet been finalized. For those interested, the way to gain more information, and get on a list, is to contact the Merging dealer servicing your country.

The value of this product for me is as a networked controller for a Hapi/Hours(s) providing stereo monitoring in DXD while recording DSD surround under Masscore. I'm not knowledgeable of how that would work running under ASIO connected Windows 10, but maybe that's the whole idea of the offering. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 3rd March 2019 at 10:18 PM..
Old 3rd March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
I'm not knowledgeable of how that would work running under ASIO connected Windows 10, but maybe that's the whole idea of the offering. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.
It is a compelling product for me, so the price is not really that important. I think AoIP is the future and this box makes location recording setups even more capable with less equipment than ever.

Now that Apple seem to have upset the cart with some serious USB audio hardware issues, AoIP and AES67 are even more important to divorce oneself from uncertainties in workstation suppliers and reduce risk.
Apple's latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug - CDM Create Digital Music
Old 3rd March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

Tom
Hi Tom

From the video teaser, is that a pair of XLR analogue line level outputs on the back?
Old 3rd March 2019
Quote:
It is a compelling product for me, so the price is not really that important. I think AoIP is the future and this box makes location recording setups even more capable with less equipment than ever.

Now that Apple seem to have upset the cart with some serious USB audio hardware issues, AoIP and AES67 are even more important to divorce oneself from uncertainties in workstation suppliers and reduce risk.
Apple's latest Macs have a serious audio glitching bug - CDM Create Digital Music
Macs have been having issues with Dante on built-in ethernet chipsets recently, causing folks to use USB ethernet adapters. I suspect it's software rather than hardware or firmware and that they'll get it sorted soon, but... I'm glad I didn't make the move to Apple.
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Agreed, and this is why I picked up a Hapi. It's a bit overkill for my purposes, but having excellent conversion and a rock-solid interface is worth it to me. I tried out a few USB DACs and would invariably run into some problem with MacOS and certificates, drivers, etc. et al.

I've had only one issue with that Hapi and that was when I upgraded MacOS faster than Merging recommended. Downgrading fixed the issue instantaneously.

Anubis looks very compelling -- it's small footprint is especially interesting. If it has the same grade of conversion as the Hapi, which is extremely likely, I'll probably sell the Hapi and pick up the Anubis.

(If anyone is interested in a Hapi with the primo DA module, let me know.)
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Maniac

I was briefed on Anubis at AES last October. Claude carried it in an inside overcoat pocket to give you an idea of its size. There were two line level XLR on the back, and the other four channels I remember were on the front edge, but shared with the headphone capability. I see from the teaser now there's two line level phone jacks labeled 3 and 4 alongside the headphone jack. I was told that it supports all Merging supported formats at all the bit/sample rates, and I believe like HAPI/Hours, a standard version up to 192KHz PCM, and a premium version with 352.8KHz PCM, and the three DSD rates.

That, and the dual talkback was the easy stuff for me to remember. What I do not remember well is the functionality brought by the onboard Zman processing module that seemed very encompassing, well beyond that of a simple four track recorder. We'll have to wait and see, but I was impressed at the time.

Tom
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
Macs have been having issues with Dante on built-in ethernet chipsets recently, causing folks to use USB ethernet adapters. I suspect it's software rather than hardware or firmware and that they'll get it sorted soon, but... I'm glad I didn't make the move to Apple.
Is this in new Macs? Or is it a software issue with, let's say, Mojave? I believe that Mojave has some issues in the audio realm in general. I don't believe Avid has okay'd Mojave yet, at least the last time I looked. I have no reason, right now to upgrade, even to High Sierra, as long as things continue to work.
I am not having any trouble with the built-in ethernet on Sierra on my 2012 MBP units. But neither, as well, with a cheap Win10 machine that I typically use as a controller over IP. Stable, it seems.

Back to an old thread tho. I have totally abandoned Pro Tools as a location recording format, falling back on Waves Tracks Live as a backup bit bucket.

D.

PS, that Merging stuff certainly is very nice.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
The current USB audio issue is in hardware (it is the T2 security chip). Current solution is Thunderbolt -> USB adapter and there is no issue.
Macs have/had also (via macOS updates) completely broken AVB support.
Also Dante (via DVS) was interfered with via a macOS update temporarily.

The only certainty so far has been PCIe audio cards (where supported) and even Thunderbolt interfaces have been interfered with on different macOS versions.

Or there is no certainty and we have to deal with all of this no matter what. AoIP is definitely not immune so we all just roll the dice and try to keep our systems as bulletproof as possible.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Macs have/had also (via macOS updates) completely broken AVB support.
AVB. The "Elcaset" of AoIP.

D.
Old 4th March 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Claude carried it in an inside overcoat pocket to give you an idea of its size. There were two line level XLR on the back

I believe like HAPI/Hours, a standard version up to 192KHz PCM, and a premium version with 352.8KHz PCM, and the three DSD rates.

onboard Zman processing module

Tom
I'm sold on these 3 points. Especially if cheaper than Hapi + DA8P.
Old 4th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
AVB. The "Elcaset" of AoIP.
Did you mean "Edsel"?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search