The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging Anubis
Old 16th September 2020
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
Anyone notice glitchy performance being directly related to internet? IE if I turn off my wifi, its always good.
Absolutely - when I had one any traffic caused glitches with the Anubis however a Dante or SoundGrid device on the same system showed no such issues. I didn't manage to get an answer as to why that was.
Old 16th September 2020
Gear Head
That's not the case in my environment at all, but it's certainly a problem I hear about a lot and I wonder why.
It seems to happen to people who follow the Merging knowledge base for their OS and hardware configuration.
Old 19th September 2020
Has anyone attempted to use one of these as a reamping device? Especially in the context of putting a guitar/non-guitar signal out and then back in, going through a guitar pedal?
Old 19th September 2020
DAH
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwall View Post
Has anyone attempted to use one of these as a reamping device? Especially in the context of putting a guitar/non-guitar signal out and then back in, going through a guitar pedal?
What is the peculiarity of this task? Any sound card is capable of this, especially after a guitar pedal.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH View Post
What is the peculiarity of this task? Any sound card is capable of this, especially after a guitar pedal.
The problem is not after but BEFORE a (pre-)amp or a pedal.
Many soundcards have hi-z inputs but none offer according outputs.

The Anubis can´t do it either, you´ll need something like this: https://www.radialeng.com/product/prormp.

I use this for the job: https://www.meris.us/product/440-mic-preamp/
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I have the Anubis but I found the latest drivers might not set the sample rate correctly across a PC with Win 10. Of course it might be sonarworks causing the issue. It took me about 8 hours to get working. So now I always check the sample rate by going to the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner of Windows. Then select Sound Settings. Then on the top right of the screen I select Sound Controls. That has the Windows settings for speakers, including the default speakers, and mc outputs. I then make sure all of the options are set to the same sample rate. I usually find that all of them are “88.2 Studio Quality” but the default Speaker it set to 88.2. So I change that to Be the “studio quality” version and it all works. Now, to complicate it, my default Speaker is running system wide Sonarworks so that could be the sticking point. But it is worth checking the Windows settings for sample rate for miss match.

At the moment I have a Digigrid IOS and I have the Anubis in with my Soundgrid studio and it works, I can use the soundgrid with waves DSP but have it all going to the Anubis converters and that includes windows music like iTunes. On the Soundgrid drivers I might change the sample rate from 88.2 and back to 88.2 if it ever stops working. That did take a while so wait when you change the sample rate, wait like 2 mins. But it has been great since I have been changing the sample rate in windows 10 settings so they all match, I have to do that ever time I start my PC.

As for conversion quality, I had a Prism Orpheus, in fact I had two I liked them that much. When you first try a Prism it just makes you smile, it’s like someone has just polished you music for you. Anubis Is very much in that ball park, it’s just not quite as shiny lol. But I love the sounds. I like it more than prism, It’s close, but I prefer it like it is.

Really need those MAD drivers ASAP so we can change the sample rate from the driver, that I think is a sticking point.

Plus I am not using the latest drivers

Last edited by MeBeMe; 3 weeks ago at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Adding extra info
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I was getting the error which specified that packets were arriving out of sequence and the system is being muted. Check and setting my sample rate as described in my post solved that issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Did anyone else catch that Merging is now offering a free limited version of DSD/DXD capable Pyramix to anyone why buys an Anubis or Hapi/Horus etc. No source-destination editing, but it is only around $100 if you don't qualify for a free version. No sure if previous Anubis purchasers do.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hi, Ethernet for audio is a new concept for me. How is the latency compared to standard USB 2/Thunderbolt protocols?

Has anyone A/B'd this against a Lynx hilo? Wondering if the D/A monitoring is on par with the Hilo
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Will I regret getting the anubis with only one RJ45 instead of the version with 2?
In which situations would I need two? (I will use it for music not broadcast)
Old 3 weeks ago
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpix74 View Post
Will I regret getting the anubis with only one RJ45 instead of the version with 2?
No. Unless you want another Merging Interface to add into your existing AES67 network with Anubis. You could also get a managed switch at a later time and do the same thing. Which is what I’ll be doing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
The one advantage of the two RJ45 Anubis version, other than broadcast ST2002-7 compliance, is the ability to network a Horus or Hapi without an external managed switch plus its power supply. To me, that's only important if transporting the necessary recording equipment to a remote session location on your back plus suitcase is an issue.

Otherwise, an external managed switch provides much more capacity and flexibility.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 3 weeks ago at 03:59 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

When on an isolated setup, pc hapi anubis, what exactly is the advantage of a managed switch ?

I have reliable results with my unmanaged, but poe switch. My Anubis gets powered this way. One PS less ...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I've no idea! I'm just parroting what Merging recommended I purchase for networking the configuration you described, running Masscore. I do know several engineers using other than the Merging recommended managed switches with success. To my dismay, the recommended Cisco 8 port switch, with its power supply I purchased weighs more, and is much larger than the Anubis it connects. It adds an unnecessary almost 4 pounds to the 50 pound suitcase limit when traveling.

If you're running Native (Ravenna Pro), here's Merging's recommendations:

https://confluence.merging.com/displ...AVENNA+-+AES67

I do know they're evaluating new switches, which are not on the approved list. I've requested status, and will report if anything new.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 3 weeks ago at 09:29 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

My unmanaged switch is this:

https://www.netgear.be/home/products...s/gs305pp.aspx

Needs testing with high nr of inputs at high samplerates, but seems ok.

My unmaged switch is this:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/gs305e.aspx

Did not have time to test, but it is cheap and weighs only 0.25 kg.
You should buy one and try ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Amazing also should I get the premium? I'm not sure about the benefit of the super high sample rate, dsd, dxd when recording, mixing or mastering rock and hip hop music. Wouldn't most plugins don't work?
Any good documentation to apprehend those?

Thank you
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Amazing also should I get the premium? I'm not sure about the benefit of the super high sample rate, dsd, dxd when recording, mixing or mastering rock and hip hop music. Wouldn't most plugins don't work?

Thank you
The only reason to get the premium is if you have a reason to record or playback at sampling rates greater than 192kHz.

The premium and pro units sound the same when working at lower sampling rates.

You cannot edit DSD so it's more of a purist recording format where the production is finished when it is recorded, or a multi-track DSD session is later mixed analogue down to stereo (DSD) or whatever the end format.

I use an Anubis Premium so I can make 4 channel DSD recordings in the future. For a few hundred dollars more I can't see a reason to not have the option should you require it. I usually work at 96kHz though.

The Pyramix software makes it easy to interface your Anubis for a DSD production.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi Yannick,

Thanks. Merging is testing the D-Link DGS-1100-05PD managed switch:

https://www.dlink.com.au/business-so...Managed-Switch

which would better meet my needs for travel than the Cisco SG-350-10P I currently own. I've asked them the status, and will report any reply.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

Thank you
Production environments will require a conversion to PCM (DXD) to do any editing of course. Some claim it is better to do this in software as opposed to hardware, but in Merging's case, the audio IS converted to 32bit PCM inside the "box" in order to utilize digital gain with the preamps and DPS, then reconverted to DSD before streaming to Pyramix. So other than compatibility with DSD and higher PCM sample rates for scientific measurements or archival needs, the premium model has no real advantage I can see.

Last edited by rumleymusic; 3 weeks ago at 03:03 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

I previously used a HP1810 ProCurve. It worked great.
Then I added more units and traffic on the Ravenna network and got problem running really low network latency.
I then got the recommended Cisco SG350.
One thing I noticed was that PTP-delta dropped significantly. A PTP-aware switch would probably be even better.

I also notice that I am soon to run out of ports on my 10 port switch...
With QoS enabled, I have had no problem running NDI cameras/streams on the same VLAN.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljudatervinning View Post
A PTP-aware switch would probably be even better.
But those Artel Quarra PTP switches are crazy expensive.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaitang View Post
Hi, Ethernet for audio is a new concept for me. How is the latency compared to standard USB 2/Thunderbolt protocols?

Has anyone A/B'd this against a Lynx hilo? Wondering if the D/A monitoring is on par with the Hilo

can anyone advise on this? Curious about the performance of Ethernet in transferring audio and latency/buffer issues.
Old 3 weeks ago
Ethernet audio is very low latency, one of the reasons it is so popular in live mixing and broadcast environments.

However, ethernet audio combined with virtual ASIO/WDM drivers is a bit higher latency than a standard USB/Thunderbolt interfaces. There are two sets of buffers involved.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Ethernet audio is very low latency, one of the reasons it is so popular in live mixing and broadcast environments.

However, ethernet audio combined with virtual ASIO/WDM drivers is a bit higher latency than a standard USB/Thunderbolt interfaces. There are two sets of buffers involved.
hmm so would that make it less ideal for use in a production environment like Ableton Live and more suited for multitrack recording/mixing?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm so would that make it less ideal for use in a production environment like Ableton Live and more suited for multitrack recording/mixing?
As a general system design philosophy, networked audio systems are best suited for situations such as:
  • A system with many pieces of equipment that need to share signals, and where it is desirable to easily reconfigure/save/recall how these signals are routed.
  • A system with pieces of equipment which are physically distant from each other but need to share signals (e.g. preamps on stage, monitoring/capture equipment in a control room, more gear in a truck outside)
  • A system which includes a number of statically configured elements (e.g. a sound reinforcement system in a venue) but where additional items need to be routinely added or subtracted from the system (e.g. an "outside" mixing console + wireless mic receivers brought in for a specific concert/event)

This is certainly not to say that even much smaller-scale systems or use-cases could benefit from an AoIP approach. However, if none of the above apply, it is possible that the benefits will not be as compelling vs. signal transport over USB/Thunderbolt/etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:

It think both the latency and current ASIO stability at low buffer settings would make it a risky choice for Ableton, especially in a live setting. I'm not sure if the new MAD drivers will improve anything, but I hope so.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
I think maybe latency concerns with ethernet audio and ASIO are overstated? I have no problem getting acceptably low latency with HAPI.

Mastering is my day job and latency does not matter much there, but on the rare occasions I've needed to track something I've been able to set the Merging ASIO latency down low and it works just fine.

Low enough to tap out a beat in Ableton Live, or track with a guitar amp sim on input through Samplitude or Pyramix.
Old 3 weeks ago
TLS
Gear Maniac

From the previous drivers I tested low latency was possible (although of course not as good as other devices) however the overhead on system resources was almost 2x what a similar SoundGrid or Dante device was capable of. The Merging drivers were not at all optimized however I haven't tested the new MAD drivers.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Would anyone who has commented recently happen to know what the maximum latency is of the new MAD driver? e.g. to provide the greatest buffer for avoiding any kind of dropped packet issues due to system processes on non-Masscore machines.
📝 Reply