The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Merging Anubis
Old 6th August 2020
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
FWIW I have (Since last posting) got it to work with Dante Via through ASIO, so that method works....... but only at 48kHz. So your last point remains.

So is this through the Dante Via software + AES connector into the Kiis? Was there any noticeable impact on DAW CPU performance?
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc View Post
Indeed confusing and complicated.

I understand Dante is limited to one sampling rate for the entire network. I believe Ravenna is too. So should those of us involved in music production be pushing the Ravenna network people, Audinate, or the hardware manufacturers (Merging in this case), to standardize higher sampling rates? Or should we be talking about enabling SRC on AoIP networks?

Personally especially these days I find myself frequently bouncing between 48kHz and 96kHz for video and audio-only projects, respectively. My Ravenna devices whether under MassCore or ASIO follow the sampling rate automatically. If the world is eventually going full-on AoIP, then all of these network devices need to be able to support different sampling rates, and be able to switch easily.

Edit: You can find lots of interesting info on AES67 here. AES70 is coming too. Maybe that'll be simpler
RAVENNA networks can handle multiple sample rates. The limitation is that any connected devices need to be on the same SR.

Example - Studio A with PC and Hapi at 48kHz
Studio B with Mac and Horus at 96kHz
All devices on the same network with one PTP master.

Dennis
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CemA View Post
I am loving the new firmware with Output PEQ. What an improvement over the workflow. I have put in the Sonarworks correction EQ Curves roughly for 2 different set of speakers in the mix room.

How nice it would be if Merging actually made room correction software to go with Anubis?
I have not updated yet. Is it possible to set up a EQ curve with steep filters to help fill the holes in my damaged hearing?
Old 7th August 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGaines View Post
RAVENNA networks can handle multiple sample rates. The limitation is that any connected devices need to be on the same SR.
Hey Dennis. Is this also the case in AES67 mode? What happens when you start adding in Dante devices?
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlienyc View Post
Hey Dennis. Is this also the case in AES67 mode? What happens when you start adding in Dante devices?
I know it works if you are only using Merging gear but not sure if you add Dante.
Dennis
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Is there a way to get more ins and outs without cashing out for the Hapi/Horus? I’m not really looking for a high-end solution. More like a low-mid deal while still keeping the Anubis in front. I’m sorry if this has been answered.
I love my Anubis for monitoring and 1-2 main inputs.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_lar View Post
Is there a way to get more ins and outs without cashing out for the Hapi/Horus? I’m not really looking for a high-end solution. More like a low-mid deal while still keeping the Anubis in front. I’m sorry if this has been answered.
What sort of Ins and Outs? Do you need mic amps or line only? How many?
Old 11th August 2020
Quote:
Short answer no.

Hapi is probably the cheapest solution for ADAT, AES, MADI or analog. Everything else is also as or (much) more expensive, such as a european broadcast console. Ravenna is not a wide spread format.
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

I’m looking at to senarios:
One setup with more line in for synths
Another setup for summing with 16 outs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
What sort of Ins and Outs? Do you need mic amps or line only? How many?
Old 11th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Thanks for replying.
Yeah I was afraid that Hapi is the cheapest. I would rather save up and get something that works great. The Aneman setup is quite new to me but I can imagine that it can be hell with bad drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
Short answer no.

Hapi is probably the cheapest solution for ADAT, AES, MADI or analog. Everything else is also as or (much) more expensive, such as a european broadcast console. Ravenna is not a wide spread format.
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
I’m looking at to senarios:
One setup with more line in for synths
Another setup for summing with 16 outs.
Allen and Heath DT 168 ?

16 ins with preamps and phantom power

https://www.thomann.de/fr/allen_heath_dt168.htm
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Great idea!

How would all this be connected and assigned with software?

The Anubis and the DT 168 is connected via RJ45 in network. Right now I've installed the anubis ravenna driver and it's configured via the Aneman program.
How would you do this and control ins and outs and clocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSideUp View Post
Allen and Heath DT 168 ?

16 ins with preamps and phantom power

https://www.thomann.de/fr/allen_heath_dt168.htm
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
Great idea!

How would all this be connected and assigned with software?

The Anubis and the DT 168 is connected via RJ45 in network. Right now I've installed the anubis ravenna driver and it's configured via the Aneman program.
How would you do this and control ins and outs and clocks?
Absolutely no idea I'm also trying to figure out how it all works, and I don't even have a Merging product! although I live one hour drive from them.

Are the drivers all good now? I read complains on here on how late they were on updating them.
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Absolutely no idea I'm also trying to figure out how it all works, and I don't even have a Merging product! although I live one hour drive from them.

Are the drivers all good now? I read complains on here on how late they were on updating them.

Haha - cool. Well then we both know nothing.. yet!

I have an anubis and for my purpose it's pretty solid. I'm mostly mixing and mastering ITB but I'll track a vocal now and then. It's great for my needs.
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
Haha - cool. Well then we both know nothing.. yet!

I have an anubis and for my purpose it's pretty solid. I'm mostly mixing and mastering ITB but I'll track a vocal now and then. It's great for my needs.
awesome, pretty much my use. What machine, os ? How much did you pay for it?
Old 16th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
awesome, pretty much my use. What machine, os ? How much did you pay for it?
Mac Pro 2013 trashcan directly connected via RJ45 - Mac Mojave with Logic and Reaper DAW. I payed around 1670$.
Old 16th August 2020
Quote:
Mac Pro 2013 trashcan directly connected via RJ45 - Mac Mojave with Logic and Reaper DAW. I payed around 1670$.
cool thanks. great solution.

for my mobile MacBook usb-c, the new Apogee Desktop makes sense. I'm not sure how to use the Anibis when I'm away from home ( probably just an ethernet to usb-c adapter).

Then again Catalina doesn't seem fully supported on the Merging site. Then again Apogee here is shining ( specially when using Logic Pro, as I do ).
Old 17th August 2020
Lives for gear
Yes, the current Anubis firmware provides an EQ facility for the outputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
I have not updated yet. Is it possible to set up a EQ curve with steep filters to help fill the holes in my damaged hearing?
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Any news about the release of MAD?

The handling in win10 is a real PITA so far...

The sound is truly amazing, though
Old 21st August 2020
Gear Head
Details of the New Anubis SPS released and listed on Merging's webpage yesterday.
Old 23rd August 2020
Gear Maniac

Appears to be a different version of Anubis; the original version with a built in 2 port switch. It'll be interesting to see if there's an upgrade path for the original Anubis version. The desirable feature to me is no longer the need to carry a separate switch and power supply to connect a simple stage box Hapi to the control room Anubis and DAW.

Tom
Old 24th August 2020
Gear Head
I don't do any broadcasting or live shows, so I'm going to keep the old Anubis Premium.
However, it is fascinating.

Personally, I'd like to see Hapi's secondary port work for this.
It haven't had a single update in 5 years.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
The desirable feature to me is no longer the need to carry a separate switch and power supply to connect a simple stage box Hapi to the control room Anubis and DAW.

Tom
Hi Tom, just out of curiosity -- with this approach for a location recording, would you be running a backup system off the Hapi's analog direct outs?

(i.e. without a switch to provide a cat5 split to a second computer?)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch View Post
Hi Tom, just out of curiosity -- with this approach for a location recording, would you be running a backup system off the Hapi's analog direct outs?

(i.e. without a switch to provide a cat5 split to a second computer?)
Not that you asked me, but this is what I currently do. If I need a completely separate backup system I use the direct outs from the HAPI preamp cards.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi Luke, that would suffice for backing up the computer. I believe it's the Hapi power supply that would fail before its other components, and for that reason, I bring along a +12V backup supply. If I'm not traveling alone, I'll bring along a separate small I7 computer, but have not had the occasion to use it. I don't make a backup recording, for I'm usually backing up someone elses recording session with a surround mic'd system.

Attached is a pre Anubis setup, where the Hapi had a separate DAC board from which I derived a 2 channel mix to monitor, and ran a separate analog monitoring offstage.

Give me a shout sometime at [email protected], if you'd ever like to come down to Marshfield to listen to some of my work.

Thanks,
Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-20170613_155608.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

It is noted that Ravenna redundency is still not implemented in the latest Horus or Hapi firmware despite the two eth ports.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 4 weeks ago at 03:45 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
By the way, when I mix DSD files recorded by ADA8P or Anubis with an analog mixer, I think I want a low pass filter in the master stage.

An acquaintance recommended me AudioPrecision AUX series.
However, DangerousMusic BAX EQ is also fascinating.
I wonder what to do about it.

BAX seems to be usable for various purposes, not only for DSD, but also for various purposes,
I am wondering about it because of its expensive price.

Do you have any advice?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
Hi Luke, that would suffice for backing up the computer. I believe it's the Hapi power supply that would fail before its other components, and for that reason, I bring along a +12V backup supply. If I'm not traveling alone, I'll bring along a separate small I7 computer, but have not had the occasion to use it. I don't make a backup recording, for I'm usually backing up someone elses recording session with a surround mic'd system.
Thanks very much for the response, Tom! Much appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
By the way, when I mix DSD files recorded by ADA8P or Anubis with an analog mixer, I think I want a low pass filter in the master stage.
Why? There could be a rational if they're DSD64, but if DSD256 recorded, no reason I can imagine. The reconstruction filter of the DAC has removed any of the uncorrelated modulation noise caused by the bit clock carrier when converted back to audio.

But it really all depends on what analog post processing you want to do with the files, if you're doing any at all, and what's the end delivery usage of the files.

Tom
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

can't get the Anubis to run.
this thing is such a PITA.

I'm on PC, latest firmware and ASIO driver for the Anubis.
connected via an Ethernet to USB adapter.

I'm trying the simplest possible routing: getting sound from my DAW (Reaper/Ableton).

following the Simple Monitoring Setup scenario from the manual (and the tut videos), I'm trying to connect the Asio Outputs 1+2 to the DAW 1+2 channels in the Matrix view in Aneman.
I'm getting an error message that the output is busy/click to remove receiver.
upon doing that, I can indeed connect the channels, but I get no playback. instead a red square appears on the Desktop symbol in the matrix view, and the message "the device has one active streamers. at least one of them is in error". the left window in Aneman says "Waiting for master..." btw

literally none of these messages get any google hits. I've contacted Merging support, but I'm still waiting for a reply.

any ideas?

thanks!

Edit: I've also tried connecting directly into the ethernet port of my PC, and it didn't work either
📝 Reply