Matt, I sent you a PM.
Tom,
received, many thanks!
Matt
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
My guess is there is no ADC card, Anubis is a one board, with daughter Zman card integrated unit. This video:

YouTube

at ~5 minutes shows what looks like an engineering prototype work up board of Anubis. I also think Merging would employ the components and design they're familiar with and have had success. The actual chip component prices are so small in comparison to the manufacturing costs as to be irrelevant, verses new engineering.
Looking at the video I suppose that Anubis use an external SMPS.
I do no think there is place left inside the case to have an internal PS.
Any thoughts on that?

Matt
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthia View Post
Looking at the video I suppose that Anubis use an external SMPS.
Or possibly an optional DC supply like Hapi. No problem with any of that.

Paid for mine today. Expecting delivery end of this month.
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post

Lucky guy!
Yes, the option to connect a LPS like Hapi would be great.

Matt
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd like to for both you and Matt, but am unable to get my PM to work here. Send me a note at [email protected] and I'll reply.

Thanks!
Any option to have 4 mic/line IN and 4 outs on board? (preferably on xlr regarding the outs).

thanks!

Cheu
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:

Hi David, since you paid for it, do you have all the tech specs that you can share?

And can you share the price?
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
David,
another vote for sharing the price and specs.
Which version do you get?
If you do not mind sharing in public please send me PM.
But as you said it would be good to keep the info flow public on this thread.
Thanks

Matt
Old 8th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
Hi David, since you paid for it, do you have all the tech specs that you can share?

And can you share the price?
I don't have all the specs yet, and I probably should not reveal price as this is very much tied to local agents and supply conditions at this early stage in the product life cycle.

All will be revealed towards the end of this month.
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear
Smile

Quote:
I stand corrected then.

Are you saying that Anubis can act as a client for the Hapi or Horus web services?

If this is the case, this thing is a beast.
Yesss!!! It is a beast
Old 8th March 2019
Here for the gear

In a conversation with Chris Connaker from AS in May 2017 Dominique Brulhart from Merging reported that there is a good number of DAC manufacturers who want to implement the ZMan board into their DACs.

AFAIK, the Anubis is the first device with the ZMan.

Does anyone knows other manufacturers who will launch ZMan-DACs?

Thanks

Matt
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
My guess is there is no ADC card, Anubis is a one board, with daughter Zman card integrated unit. This video:

YouTube

at ~5 minutes shows what looks like an engineering prototype work up board of Anubis. I also think Merging would employ the components and design they're familiar with and have had success. The actual chip component prices are so small in comparison to the manufacturing costs as to be irrelevant, verses new engineering.
The small board is the Zman module but the big board is just a testing interface. Anubis is much smaller. All details will be released on March 21st.
Dennis
Old 8th March 2019
We are all SUPER EXCITED for this new Merging interface.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
I don't have all the specs yet, and I probably should not reveal price as this is very much tied to local agents and supply conditions at this early stage in the product life cycle.

All will be revealed towards the end of this month.
I wish I was brave enough like you, to pre-order without knowing all the specs!

Obviously though, you've heard enough about it to know it will suit your applications.

Really excited to hear more in a couple weeks.
Old 9th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
I wish I was brave enough like you, to pre-order without knowing all the specs!
Never bothered much with specs. I trust Merging and Nagra to always do a great job with the stuff that matters.
Old 9th March 2019
Gear Maniac

David, in what way do you intend to use Anubis?

Mine is to act as a monitoring device of a Hapi stage box, supporting a 2 channel mix from a 5 to 8 channel DSD256 tracking. Currently that requires a second Hapi with a D/A board, and Pyramix under Masscore. Up to now, I DSD256 track in a DXD project under Masscore with a D/A board in the stage box Hapi, driving a two channel audio cable (just another Cat 6) alongside the Ravenna Cat 6 back to the control room.

Tom
Old 9th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
David, in what way do you intend to use Anubis?
Tom
Pretty similar to you although I am not into DSD like you, but am not excluding it just yet. I have ordered the premium version.

I just want to take less gear to site now for my smaller gigs (as I am usually on my own now), where now I can have HAPI on stage and 16 ch coming to the CR Ravenna and talkback going back out to the HAPI headphone out where I can plug in the comms speakers, and have some real monitoring control in the CR.

For larger track counts I can take Horus and Anubis out and still take less gear to site.
Old 10th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye Isaiah View Post
Yesss!!! It is a beast
If it integrated an ethernet switch as well, it would be even more beastly.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 10th March 2019 at 05:54 AM..
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
My knowledge about US pricing is that it's quite a bit less than that. But as David points out, the pricing probably has not yet been finalized. For those interested, the way to gain more information, and get on a list, is to contact the Merging dealer servicing your country.

The value of this product for me is as a networked controller for a Hapi/Hours(s) providing stereo monitoring in DXD while recording DSD surround under Masscore. I'm not knowledgeable of how that would work running under ASIO connected Windows 10, but maybe that's the whole idea of the offering. For me, it's the same functionality as having another Hapi and D/A board with Masscore and Pyramix functionality.

Tom
Hi Tom,

does this mean that you can record in Pyramix in a DSD project (not DXD project) while monitoring in DXD from The Anubis? Pyramix would then work as kind of stand alone recorder in DSD... If so, I guess it should work in native too.
Old 10th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Hi Gonzalo,

In Pyramix, the recording format is determined by the Format selection specified in the Hapi/Hours(s), regardless of the Project (DXD,DSD) selected in Pyramix. The Project determines the monitoring, not the recording format. When recording in DSD, the DXD Project enables simultaneous mixing and level adjustment through the Project Mixer selected. Currently, simultaneous recording in DSD while monitoring in DXD is only supported in Masscore, not in Native. I would suspect the same will be true with a Anubis connected to the network.

The unknown question is whether the onboard Zman processor will supply a DXD like monitoring functionality within Anubis to mix and monitor DSD bitstreams on the fly, while the DAW is running Pyramix Native. That would be a big help to me, allowing the required DAW computer to be a much smaller/lighter laptop, as opposed to the I7 computer/monitor/accessories I now lug required to support Masscore.

Thanks for the question!
Tom
Old 12th March 2019
Here for the gear

Quick question for those who have seen or pre-ordered the Anubis.

I was planning on upgrading converters in my mixing room, I only need 2 inputs, 6 Outputs and I'm using Pro Tools (100% ITB).

I was about to pay for another product when I saw the Anubis thread and seems like just what I need. Would you hold for the Anubis? I've never used Ravenna products with PT.
Old 12th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The unknown question is whether the onboard Zman processor will supply a DXD like monitoring functionality within Anubis to mix and monitor DSD bitstreams on the fly, while the DAW is running Pyramix Native.
After some research, the answer is Anubis works just like a Hapi/Hours with a DA8P DAC board. For those of us who record multichannel surround in DSD, and want to monitor a multichannel mix to stereo simultaneously, Pyramix Masscore will still be required. For those recording in any PCM sample rate, regardless of channels, a simultaneous mix is supported operating in Pyramix Native. There's no reason that I'm aware of that the same would not be true of running any other DAW application than Pyramix, using the ASIO driver included with Anubis.

The good news for me personally is I can now eliminate the DA8P DAC board in my stage box Hapi, growing it to 16 channels, plus the cabling to carry the mixed audio to the control room. Continuing to run Pyramix Masscore I can monitor my DSD recorded surround mix with the same performance of my DA8P board, all for 2.1 pounds and a cigar box size carry.

I'm no longer looking for a friendly sherpa

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 12th March 2019 at 09:11 PM..
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
After some research, the answer is Anubis works just like a Hapi/Hours with a DA8P DAC board. For those of us who record multichannel surround in DSD, and want to monitor a multichannel mix to stereo simultaneously, Pyramix Masscore will still be required. For those recording in any PCM sample rate, regardless of channels, a simultaneous mix is supported operating in Pyramix Native. There's no reason that I'm aware of that the same would not be true of running any other DAW application than Pyramix, using the ASIO driver included with Anubis.

The good news for me personally is I can now eliminate the DA8P DAC board in my stage box Hapi, growing it to 16 channels, plus the cabling to carry the mixed audio to the control room. Continuing to run Pyramix Masscore I can monitor my DSD recorded surround mix with the same performance of my DA8P board, all for 2.1 pounds and a cigar box size carry.

I'm no longer looking for a friendly sherpa

Tom
Thanks Tom!

I still don't have clear why the need of Masscore, probably I'm missing something..., if Pyramix no longer takes care of the monitoring function (as the Anubis does that), why Masscore at all? You should be able to set up a DXD project, select DSD as the recording format, and Anubis monitors that, what am I missing?
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo1004es View Post
Thanks Tom!

I still don't have clear why the need of Masscore, probably I'm missing something..., if Pyramix no longer takes care of the monitoring function (as the Anubis does that), why Masscore at all? You should be able to set up a DXD project, select DSD as the recording format, and Anubis monitors that, what am I missing?
Masscore allows you to record DSD format while mixing in DXD. Native Pro only allows DSD capture, and then you can import the files into a DXD mixing session. You can’t record + mix DSD files in real time (using DXD) with Native Pro.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Masscore allows you to record DSD format while mixing in DXD. Native Pro only allows DSD capture, and then you can import the files into a DXD mixing session. You can’t record + mix DSD files in real time (using DXD) with Native Pro.
I know the limits of DSD and Masscore/Native versions, my point is that if the computer no longer has to deal with mixing (as the Anubis does that for monitoring purposes), why the need of Masscore? You could just record in DSD with a laptop and monitor a mix with the Anubis... Or the Anubis is not able to mix converting in real time to DXD? Does the Anubis need the corresponding Horus/hapi to be set to DXD in order to mix/monitor DSD?

Thanks!
Old 13th March 2019
Quote:
I know the limits of DSD and Masscore/Native versions, my point is that if the computer no longer has to deal with mixing (as the Anubis does that for monitoring purposes), why the need of Masscore? You could just record in DSD with a laptop and monitor a mix with the Anubis... Or the Anubis is not able to mix converting in real time to DXD? Does the Anubis need the corresponding Horus/hapi to be set to DXD in order to mix/monitor DSD?

Thanks!
Unfortunately, the answer to your question is no.
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Anubis does not serve the functionality of a DAW. Think of it as a Hapi/Hours with a DA8P card installed, but having 6 channels instead of 8 channels of DAC. In both the Anubis and Hapi/Hours monitoring instance, they're running the Pryamix Project resident in the DAW, not in the on-board Zman. The dual function of recording DSD and simultaneously running a realtime DSD > DXD conversion process for monitor processing requires Masscore with its processing capabilities not resident in Windows, regardless of core count. Merging has been searching for a laptop capable of running Masscore, and has yet to discover one capable.

This mode of operation is not an issue recording any supported sample rate PCM. You would be in one of the PCM projects, recording and simultaneously mixing, balancing, and other plug-in processes for a monitoring mix. It's of interest to engineers recording in DSD, desiring a monitoring mix that requires channel mixing and balancing.

Tom
Old 13th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Does the Anubis need the corresponding Horus/hapi to be set to DXD in order to mix/monitor DSD?
No. To monitor a DSD recording session, the corresponding Hapi/Hours is set to DSD, and the computer/laptop (DAW) running Pyramix Native set to DSD Project. Each recording channel can the be selected and routed to monitor through Anubis, exactly like a control room Hapi with DAC board. You just can't mix and balance the monitored channels in that configuration.

To monitor a DSD recording session mixing and balancing channels, requires running Masscore. Then a DXD project can be selected, converting the DSD tracks to PCM, and realtime mixing and balancing.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 13th March 2019 at 07:08 PM..
Old 13th March 2019
In Anibus does the DA volume control affect all 6 channels, or can it be assigned to just a stereo pair?
Old 13th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Merging has been searching for a laptop capable of running Masscore, and has yet to discover one capable. Tom
It would be great if Merging would bite the bullet and make PMX a proper multi-threaded Windows application. No need for MassCore then. I sit here with a perfectly capable HexCore laptop and PMX is struggling on one core only.

I know its easy to say.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 16th March 2019 at 12:26 AM..
Old 14th March 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
No. To monitor a DSD recording session, the corresponding Hapi/Hours is set to DSD, and the computer/laptop (DAW) running Pyramix Native set to DSD Project. Each recording channel can the be selected and routed to monitor through Anubis, exactly like a control room Hapi with DAC board. You just can't mix and balance the monitored channels in that configuration.

To monitor a DSD recording session mixing and balancing channels, requires running Masscore. Then a DXD project can be selected, converting the DSD tracks to PCM, and realtime mixing and balancing.

Tom
Thanks again, Tom.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search