Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   All Things Technical (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/)
-   -   Merging Anubis (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/all-things-technical/1252514-merging-anubis.html)

Don S 4th March 2019 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourtelot (Post 13844665)
Back to an old thread tho. I have totally abandoned Pro Tools as a location recording format, falling back on Waves Tracks Live as a backup bit bucket.

Same here. I've had PTLE crash with 2 tracks! I went to reaper and no problems.

Tye Isaiah 4th March 2019 06:34 PM

The price of the Anubis 192k card will be around 1500 Euros and with the dsd/dxd card will be around 2200 Euros. It has a touchscreen, 2 headphone outs with seperate volume control.
It will be a better card then before. It’s a 32bit interface with much higher dynamic than Hapi and Horus.

mpdonahue 4th March 2019 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rumleymusic (Post 13843671)
Probably around $3000 if they want to be "competitively priced" (comparing to Prism Sound Lyra 2)

I could certainly use something like this in my editing room.

I was told that the street price was going to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower....We'll have to wait for the final announcement to know...
-m

David Spearritt 4th March 2019 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pentagon (Post 13844723)
AoIP is definitely not immune so we all just roll the dice and try to keep our systems as bulletproof as possible.

Agreed, but a real computer with a dodgy ethernet driver is usually discovered and fixed pretty quickly.

mpdonahue 4th March 2019 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tye Isaiah (Post 13845805)
It will be a better card then before. It’s a 32bit interface with much higher dynamic than Hapi and Horus.

It will be interesting to see how this new topology sounds. The new AD converter uses a pair of gain ranging converters that have a crossover region where it transitions from the high range to the low range. Historically this topology has been more friendly to pop music rather than classical. The issue has been that the crossover happens somewhere between the third and sixth bit, which is typically where most classical music lives.
We are waiting to hear these converters and hope Claude has made magic happen.
As always, ymmv.
All the best,
-mark

rumleymusic 4th March 2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpdonahue (Post 13845978)
I was told that the street price was going to be SIGNIFICANTLY lower....We'll have to wait for the final announcement to know...
-m

Just throwing out a practical(ish) number based on a similarly spec'd product, and taking into account that an empty Hapi box (no converters or analog I/O) is $2400. $3k seemed reasonable. I do hope it is more affordable, as long as they don't sacrifice anything for a lower price point. There are enough budget small interfaces out there for us poor people.

brew 5th March 2019 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward_Beck (Post 13840563)
We've been working on similar solutions. The Ward-Beck preMO-221 and preMO-222.

Welcome Ward underscore Beck. Was Ward-Beck taken? :heh:

And what in the world with the name??? I feel like you're more likely to...

"Ask your doctor about Anubis."

Nor do I want my Anubis to be merged.

Issadore 5th March 2019 01:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1551747262 rockout

Given To Fly 5th March 2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tourtelot (Post 13844665)
Is this in new Macs? Or is it a software issue with, let's say, Mojave? I believe that Mojave has some issues in the audio realm in general. I don't believe Avid has okay'd Mojave yet, at least the last time I looked. I have no reason, right now to upgrade, even to High Sierra, as long as things continue to work.
I am not having any trouble with the built-in ethernet on Sierra on my 2012 MBP units. But neither, as well, with a cheap Win10 machine that I typically use as a controller over IP. Stable, it seems.

Back to an old thread tho. I have totally abandoned Pro Tools as a location recording format, falling back on Waves Tracks Live as a backup bit bucket.

D.

PS, that Merging stuff certainly is very nice.

For what it is worth, I received my new 13” MacBook Pro on Feb. 26th. (My previous computer was a 2011 15” MBP, still works, just not the screen.) Every peripheral I use is USB 2.0/3.0. In order for this to work with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports, I bought a powered Belkin hub too which I connect my interface (Duet 2), iLok (ProTools) and hardrives. I have not been on any remote recording sessions but I’ve done some work in ProTools and playback from multiple sources have all played back as they should. I even forgot to connect power to the powered hub and everything still worked.

I am not saying buy a new computer, start using ProTools again, and life will be grand. But it might. ;)

As for the Anubis, I can just listen and learn.

Gaston69 5th March 2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tye Isaiah (Post 13845805)
The price of the Anubis 192k card will be around 1500 Euros and with the dsd/dxd card will be around 2200 Euros. It has a touchscreen, 2 headphone outs with seperate volume control.

"Anubis 192k card will be around 1500 Euros" would be a no brainer in my situation, I keep my fingers crossed ;-)

tailspn 5th March 2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaston69 (Post 13847901)
"Anubis 192k card will be around 1500 Euros" would be a no brainer in my situation, I keep my fingers crossed ;-)

As a side note, if you bought the premium version, and recorded in DSD or DXD, you'd be eligible to sell your projects on NativeDSD.com.

Tye Isaiah 6th March 2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaston69 (Post 13847901)

Yeah me too!! Btw no digital ins and outs except for the ravenna connection offcourse. Lower latency and dynamic range around 134db

Gaston69 6th March 2019 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tye Isaiah (Post 13849345)
Yeah me too!! Btw no digital ins and outs except for the ravenna connection offcourse. Lower latency and dynamic range around 134db

From whom did you get the info in respect to pricing and specifications or are you just guessing?

[email protected] 6th March 2019 07:33 PM

Does anyone know if the Anubis will be able to remotely control the HAPI/HORUS preamps? I'd love a hardware solution to this; I have no desire to tweak gain with a mouse.

David Spearritt 6th March 2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 13849810)
Does anyone know if the Anubis will be able to remotely control the HAPI/HORUS preamps? I'd love a hardware solution to this; I have no desire to tweak gain with a mouse.

No. Preamps are controlled from the DAW. Pyramix and others have some nice control surfaces you can use.
Anubis has a GPIO interface, so maybe another box might show up, but there are plenty of other solutions.

I personally type my preamp gain values in, and I do not slide them around during data acquisition.

tailspn 6th March 2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Spearritt (Post 13850097)
No. Preamps are controlled from the DAW. Pyramix and others have some nice control surfaces you can use.
Anubis has a GPIO interface, so maybe another box might show up, but there are plenty of other solutions.

It may work differently under Masscore or with its onboard processor, but I don't know. In the demo I had, there were so many new features driven out of the onboard Zman processor, that I lost count. The thing that did stick in my mind was Claude saying one of the primary features of Anubis was as a life extender for the Hapi/Hours series, which I took to mean as a overall system controller. But that just may have been just my wishful thinking.

You're absolutely correct David in that you can't control the parameters of one Hapi/Hours from another on the network, no matter what DAW OS you're running.

Tye Isaiah 7th March 2019 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaston69 (Post 13849705)
From whom did you get the info in respect to pricing and specifications or are you just guessing?

? certainly not guessing.
Spoke with Maurice Engler their project manager.

Tye Isaiah 7th March 2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 13849810)

Yes! It is possible with the Anubis. also all routing possibilities can be controlled with the touchscreen on the Anubis

rumleymusic 7th March 2019 03:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm rarely an early adopter, but in this case:

c1ferrari 7th March 2019 07:21 AM

I've long desired the flexibility and DSD256 capability of the Hapi with premium I/O with the form factor of a Nagra VI. Is this an/the answer?

tailspn 7th March 2019 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c1ferrari (Post 13850738)
I've long desired the flexibility and DSD256 capability of the Hapi with premium I/O with the form factor of a Nagra VI. Is this an/the answer?

Depends. Anubis is 4 channels record, two of which have mic pres, verses 8 or 16 with a Hapi. Also a different A/D architecture, as explained by Mark Donahue above. Otherwise, a more featured and powerful version of Hapi with support for all the formats and bit/sample rates.

c1ferrari 7th March 2019 07:24 PM

Thanks, Tom. My understanding is additional information will be available on or about 3/21.

matthia 7th March 2019 08:30 PM

Hi,
maybe someone can answer these two questions:

1.) Will it be possible to get Anubis without an ADC card so it can operate as a pure Ravenna-DAC?

2.) Will the Premium DAC card for Anubis be based on the ES9028PRO like the DA8P or will it be superior to the DA8P?

Thank you
Best regards
Matt

tailspn 7th March 2019 09:32 PM

My guess is there is no ADC card, Anubis is a one board, with daughter Zman card integrated unit. This video:

YouTube

at ~5 minutes shows what looks like an engineering prototype work up board of Anubis. I also think Merging would employ the components and design they're familiar with and have had success. The actual chip component prices are so small in comparison to the manufacturing costs as to be irrelevant, verses new engineering.

matthia 7th March 2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13852009)
My guess is there is no ADC card, Anubis is a one board, with daughter Zman card integrated unit. This video:

YouTube

at ~5 minutes shows what looks like an engineering prototype work up board of Anubis. I also think Merging would employ the components and design they're familiar with and have had success. The actual chip component prices are so small in comparison to the manufacturing costs as to be irrelevant, verses new engineering.

Thanks Tom,
I have seen the main board with the Zman daughter board on the video.
The question will be how they differentiate between Standard and Premium.
Will there be both Standard and Premium main boards and the main boards will have both ADC and DAC on one board?
And how will the SQ be in comparison to Hapi/Horus?

Matt

tailspn 8th March 2019 01:07 AM

Matt, I sent you a PM.

Tom

Em2016 8th March 2019 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13852369)
Matt, I sent you a PM.

Tom

Hi Tom, I had the exact same questions. Are you able to PM also.

tailspn 8th March 2019 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Em2016 (Post 13852480)
Hi Tom, I had the exact same questions. Are you able to PM also.

I'd like to for both you and Matt, but am unable to get my PM to work here. Send me a note at [email protected] and I'll reply.

Thanks!

David Spearritt 8th March 2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tye Isaiah (Post 13850327)
Yes! It is possible with the Anubis. also all routing possibilities can be controlled with the touchscreen on the Anubis

I stand corrected then.

Are you saying that Anubis can act as a client for the Hapi or Horus web services?

If this is the case, this thing is a beast.

David Spearritt 8th March 2019 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tailspn (Post 13852609)
I'd like to for both you and Matt, but am unable to get my PM to work here. Send me a note at [email protected] and I'll reply.

Thanks!

It would be good to keep the info flow public on this thread, wouldn't it?