Old 1st August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Release notes, for those interested:

https://www.merging.com/uploads/asse...se%20Notes.pdf
Old 2nd August 2019
Gear Head

Hey guys I'm on the waiting list for a demo the specs look fantastic. I'm not a pro like most here just want this for recording needledrops. Thought I wanted the premium model but Pyramix Native Pro is simply not practical for someone like me. Are there any reasonable options for recording and playback of DSD files?
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
Hey guys I'm on the waiting list for a demo the specs look fantastic. I'm not a pro like most here just want this for recording needledrops. Thought I wanted the premium model but Pyramix Native Pro is simply not practical for someone like me. Are there any reasonable options for recording and playback of DSD files?

In the current product...

DA3000 is cheaper and flexible choice.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...tascam-da-3000
Rather the function as a PCM recorder is very substantial.
I recommend this one.

If you want to go to field,
this is not bad choice (Function is good but input is poor)
https://www.sony.jp/ic-recorder/prod...100/index.html

This is cheapest choice.
and ideal for beginners.
https://www.korg.com/jp/products/audio/ds_dac_10r/

KORG's MR-1000 is recommended too, if you don't mind it was used.
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear
and if you want a software, this is free and flexible to needle drop archiving.
https://www.korg.com/jp/products/audio/audiogate4/
Old 3rd August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by INARI View Post
and if you want a software, this is free and flexible to needle drop archiving.
https://www.korg.com/jp/products/audio/audiogate4/
This software looks very good.
It's my belief that the Anubis will (hopefully) improve my 24/96 needle drops. DSD is not a viable option for me, but being able to play with it would be cool. I want to be able to listen to DSD downloads and pass them through the Anubis.

Anyone using the Korg software with the Anubis please post your experiences.

Searching the software on my phone is somewhat limited. I did see the free version converts DSD playback to PCM 48. I was not able to find the cost of the full version.
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Head

Has anyone tested the Anubis or the Ravenna ASIO driver or other audio devices with AMD processors and mother boards.
It looks like it will be several months before I can even test one.
I received an email from Merging technologies basically saying they only tested Intel processors.

My guess is after waiting months it won't even work being mine is 10 years old. It may be time to build a new machine.
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I no longer have an Anubis. The driver support was just not reliable enough at this stage and the JRiver solution seems quite convoluted. You could also try the free trial of LAWO R3LAY and just reset your "demo" every 20 minutes unless you feel like paying a few hundred for the software driver.
what were u using Anubis for ? n do u have Windows mac....saw?
Old 20th August 2019
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersmelter View Post
what were u using Anubis for ? n do u have Windows mac....saw?
I was attempting to use it as a professional audio interface for tracking/mixing (currently using RME hardware). PC running Windows with Nuendo/Pro Tools as the main DAWs.
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Has anyone tested the Anubis or the Ravenna ASIO driver or other audio devices with AMD processors and mother boards.
It looks like it will be several months before I can even test one.
I received an email from Merging technologies basically saying they only tested Intel processors.

My guess is after waiting months it won't even work being mine is 10 years old. It may be time to build a new machine.
I think Intel has better latency performance.
However, so far so good for now @Ryzen TR 2970WX/ASRock X399 Taichi.
It stable just like i7 6700K desktop and i7 8809G NUC of other myown.

I don't think there is any difference in 32in32out.
Perhaps differences may appear when increase channels and reduce latency.
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-tr_anubis.png  
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I think Intel has better latency performance.

Perhaps differences may appear when increase channels and reduce latency.
Thanks I am thinking of building a new machine. I went to Merging's site at the top of the list is a Gigabyte MB with I7 6700 quad core processor. For years I have been a AMD guy I always felt at the time you get more for your money. Are you saying you use an Anubis with a Ryzen?

I have a video computer that uses a AMD fx 8core processor I find it to be sluggish with video processing.

I'm interested in Ryzen. So I will do some digging.
Old 20th August 2019
Here for the gear
Yes, I using Ryzen 2970WX for video and sound production.

From this benchmark result, it may be said Ryzen's latency problem is almost solved in Zen2.
https://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/0...-magic-number/
Old 20th August 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, I using Ryzen 2970WX for video and sound production.

From this benchmark result, it may be said Ryzen's latency problem is almost solved in Zen2.
https://www.scanproaudio.info/2019/0...-magic-number/
I googled your processor and for what I'm doing I'm looking at the Ryzen at the other end of the spectrum. Seriously I'm just going to be recording vinyl.
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Really? I tested the 16 core ryzen on OT n it was fiawless....

what do u have .... v12 or Masscore extended...can u handle VST n vst3s like 4 pluging Izotope per tracj? ?

QUOTE=INARI;14158727]I think Intel has better latency performance.

Perhaps differences may appear when increase channels and reduce latency.[/QUOTE]
Old 3rd September 2019
Here for the gear

Mark,

how many vst n vst3 such as izotope, you can place in v12 or Masscore on each track before the DAW locks up?

I am having trouble with v12 n looking into Masscore extended Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
Is there a reason you are running on AES67 instead of Ravenna?
Unless you have other AES67 devices on the network, you will be better off to choose 16/32/64.
Also, have you tried to right click on the orange box at the top and choose "Delete Receiver"? Try this and then re-connect.
All the best,
-mark
Old 4th September 2019
Gear Head
so while listening to music via phones on the anubis on a test device, i wonder what you guys think. whats the big plus on this ?
Do you hear a difference in quality to rme or apollo?
is it its ravenna protocol?
Or is there something i am missing?

I have the slight feeling of not getting the hype
Old 5th September 2019
Gear Head

Yesterday I got a Anubis demo set up. On my new i7 machine, works well. My review will be basically my perception of the audio quality. I'm not an expert or engineer like many of you.
The first thing I did was play some files. The DAC definitely sounds different from what I'm used to. The piano seemed to ring more distinctly. Highs were possibly brighter or more focused. Everything I played sounded different possibly better. Then I recorded a needle drop listening to the vinyl, immediately listening to the recorded file. Yesterday my impression was that the recorded file sounds more dynamic than the vinyl sounded. Today on a different record my impression is that they sound pretty much the same.
When listening to the needle drops compared to the ones I recorded with the Focusrite Forte the difference is less distinguishable listening with the headphones. The headphone output is a considerable improvement over the Forte.

Aside from that it seems well built a little heavy which is nice having heavy cables plugged into it. There is a learning curve once I got the basic functions figured out I like working with it.

So if I decide that I like how the DAC sounds, different is not always better I will get one.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I'm sending the demo back tomorrow or Wednesday and I made up my mind. I'm getting a Anubis. Yesterday I did a complete comparison. Each improvement is small and as with the ADC can seem nonexistent. So I played a file recorded on my old audio device the Forte and played back on the McIntosh DAC. Then I played a new file (same) recorded and played with the Anubis. There was no question it was better.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've got the basics figured out and have been monitoring with the Anubis for a few weeks now. I really love the sound and just received a tip from a friend on getting Windows playback for YouTube, Spotify, etc. without having to buy an expensive program. Right now I'm using the free "Voice Meeter" (donationware) to route anything from Windows as a virtual sound source into VM, which then sends directly to the Anubis hardware via ASIO. Seems to work well so far after just a few hours of testing.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
I've got the basics figured out and have been monitoring with the Anubis for a few weeks now. I really love the sound and just received a tip from a friend on getting Windows playback for YouTube, Spotify, etc. without having to buy an expensive program. Right now I'm using the free "Voice Meeter" (donationware) to route anything from Windows as a virtual sound source into VM, which then sends directly to the Anubis hardware via ASIO. Seems to work well so far after just a few hours of testing.

https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/
Ryan Aneman for Anubis works well for any audio......
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
I googled your processor and for what I'm doing I'm looking at the Ryzen at the other end of the spectrum. Seriously I'm just going to be recording vinyl.
Not to sidestep the thread, but what would the rest of your vinyl recording setup include, please?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnix333 View Post
Ryan Aneman for Anubis works well for any audio......
Other people had mentioned the lack of a WASAPI driver for Windows & needing to use JRiver to get audio from YouTube, Netflix, etc. - I couldn't get that working without VoiceMeeter, and neither could my friend who recommended the software. Is there a way to do that natively now?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakinrecords View Post
Not to sidestep the thread, but what would the rest of your vinyl recording setup include, please?
VPI Scout TT Dynavector xx2 McIntosh c2500 pre with Mullard IEC 12ax7 tubes in the mc phono stage.
I already decided that for vinyl the ADC is only slightly better. The device itself and the DAC made it worth the money. Having a DSD DAC is a bonus.
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
Other people had mentioned the lack of a WASAPI driver for Windows & needing to use JRiver to get audio from YouTube, Netflix, etc. - I couldn't get that working without VoiceMeeter, and neither could my friend who recommended the software. Is there a way to do that natively now?
I think he was mistaken. Aneman does not work with Windows audio. I haven't tried VoiceMeeter, but the Dante AVIO solution I use works very well.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I've had my Anubis for a week or two and I'm very, very happy with it. The ADDA is extremely good, my Antelope Pure2 has already gone, and in the listening tests I've done it beat all the competition, bar none. Admittedly not THE most high end list - various Myteks new and old, Pure 2, Lynx Hilo - but I don't feel the need to look any further now. Very impressed indeed.

The only fly in my ointment is that I am using Kii Three speakers, and would love to get digital into them via AES, as I was before. The Anubis DA > Kii AD doesn't affect the sound too much, it's still great. But I'd still rather cut it out.

I've got the Ubiquiti network switchmentioned in this thread, and an AVIO Dante AES32 adaptor and I've nearly smashed my studio to pieces trying to get it to work.

The *only* way I've got proper audio out of the Kiis this way is @ 48k Hz, at the lowest latency setting on Merging ASIO driver. I need to do a little more testing but on every other setting I've tried it's only a left channel of garbled audio - recognisable as the source, but only just. This is in Reaper, btw, if it makes any difference.

Also worth mentioning that I HAVE to make the source in Aneman going to Dante a multicast, or I get nothing at all. Expected behaviour possibly, but jeez that took some figuring out.

Anyway, I'm only posting all this as I see one or two people have AVIO adaptors here, and was hoping for any little nuggets that might help. My contact at Merging (who has been great btw) is getting back to me in the next few days to see what we can do.

But yeah, this annoyance aside the Anubis itself is a terrific device. Stunning quality, stunning build, stunning price.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks Bob my only reservation was I never tried the Lynx Hilo it having digital inputs would have been nice. Right now though all I listen to is off the computer so I'm good.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
The only fly in my ointment is that I am using Kii Three speakers, and would love to get digital into them via AES, as I was before. The Anubis DA > Kii AD doesn't affect the sound too much, it's still great. But I'd still rather cut it out.
Yes, its a real shame that the Kii's do not have an AES67 interface, this is definitely the future, a bit surprising really, considering the level of tech in those speakers. Genelec are on board with Ravenna, but not many others yet.
Old 2 weeks ago
The anubis looks awesome and would be a great monitor controller (or DAAD for Mastering) but how you guys manage to make it work in a traditional AES setup.
I haven't read the 15 pages of the thread yet but it seems kinda nightmary.
I see why people are comparing it to the Hilo because if Merging would have done their "Hilo" with the Anubis, that would be a no braimer for a lot of mastering setup.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxnscratch View Post
... but how you guys manage to make it work in a traditional AES setup.
Not sure what this means but if it is a sound card in a PC outputting AES, then dispense with this card and use an ethernet output and the Merging ASIO driver for Anubis. Decommission the AES sound card.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Just got my Anubis. Sounds great. Long time Hapi User.

Will be pitching HAPI and Catching Anubis in my new setup.

My Old One comp setup: I’ve been using your run of the mill 8 channel AES card with HAPI with HAPI sending Master clock. Reason being: Ravenna with live fx at the end of the chain never really worked too great for me. YMMV. Clicks clicks clicks while recording. Tried the normal troubleshooting and stopped bothering with it...My friends who seem to not be bothered by clicks A) Use Pyramix B) Do outboard L2’s. Neither of which are my scene.

With the Anubis i can actually run two feeds out of the Maselec desk into both HAPI AD/Aes setup w fx: as a ‘scratch feed’ w/ limiters in...and simultaneously into the Anubis via Ravenna dry (at 96k instead of client sample rate...cuz why would i be doing it otherwise?). Then do the real plugin finalizing after recording.

Sounds a little silly but i don’t trust Ravenna fully at this time. But i do know Ravenna transmission is as pure as it gets! Maybe it’s the new Soundblade. Sounds too good to not at least keep trying to make it work...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search