The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Merging Anubis
Old 26th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
Along the lines of this discussion, but with respect to Core Audio in macOS, in addition to Action>Clear All Connections, if you're still having trouble make sure that the sample rate set Audio MIDI Setup matches what's set in Anubis.
Yes. Mismatched sample rates will also cause Aneman to go nuts or crash.
Old 26th July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
Thanks David! That helps, but I'm still only seeing the orange boxes in the matrix. I knew it would be a little tricky to setup, but I'm getting a bit frustrated after waiting almost two months longer than I thought to get the unit...thanks for your help.
Is there a reason you are running on AES67 instead of Ravenna?
Unless you have other AES67 devices on the network, you will be better off to choose 16/32/64.
Also, have you tried to right click on the orange box at the top and choose "Delete Receiver"? Try this and then re-connect.
All the best,
-mark
Old 26th July 2019
I wouldn't call the issue a glitch as previously stated. More of a functional limitation. The software is operating as designed. I do think they should add the functionality of deleting unused or missing connections in Aneman. Most AES 67 streams are not Aneman compatible either and will require manual setup.
Old 27th July 2019
Lives for gear

Trying to update Anubis firmware now...
Screen says, Uploading, although it's been at 1% for about 10 minutes now, with no change?
Old 27th July 2019
Here for the gear
I got premium yesterday.
I was satisfied with the quality of the sound.
by the way, Is there any way to increase the meter's frame rate?
Old 27th July 2019
Lives for gear

OK, it's how many hours later then my last post, 10, give or take, and screen on laptop still says uploading 1% and Anubis screen says Upload firmware 0%....

Something, she's not right?
Anyone else have the same snag?
Old 27th July 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
OK, it's how many hours later then my last post, 10, give or take, and screen on laptop still says uploading 1% and Anubis screen says Upload firmware 0%....

What browser are you using?

According to the manual prepared by reseller in my country, safari seems to cause problems.
(I didn't find it in English manual for some reason)

Chrome, firefox and Opera are recommended.
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-2019-07-27_21-58-04.jpg  
Old 27th July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post

What exactly are you trying to download Paul? The most recent Anubis firmware (1.0.9.40042) was released May 23, and being in the US, is probably already in your Anubis.

If it's one of the RAVENNA/AES67 Virtual Audio Device Installers, or the new Merging RAVENNA ASIO Driver - v12.0.4 - 64 bit Installer, I'd be happy to send it to you via Dropbox.

Tom
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hey guys...
An update,

Once again my NEW MacBook Pro is the reason for all my problems.
Go figure?
Haha

Inari, your suggestion of not using Safari, was spot on.
Once I uploaded Firefox to my Mac,
I started from scratch again, and uploaded the new firmware, all went as it should, and it was done in minutes.
Thank you my friend for that bit of advice, much appreciated.

Tom,
I did have older firmware in my Unit.

Now that said, I'm still dead in the water as far as using the Anubis with this new computer...
It does work fine with my old Mac Mini, but that's not part of this remote rig.

Sadly my new MacBook pro came with Mohave 10.14.5 installed, so the Aneman software will not recognize this computer?

I guess, I'll just have to wait for new updated software?

Thanks again guys for all your invaluable help & guidance, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by nobtwiddler; 28th July 2019 at 02:21 AM..
Old 28th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mftorso View Post
Is anyone running stereo mains, stereo subs, 4 channel DAW ASIO output to 4 channel Anubis line outs?

I hope to run Acourate for correction and sub-crossovers with 4 independent line outputs. Volume control of all with the rotary knob.

Looks doable. Too cool for a small mastering rig!
Hi this is exactly what I have in mind one day so looking forward for your findings.
Having followed this thread since the start in march I have the feeling that David Spearritt maybe could tell?
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, Acourate plays nicely with the Merging ASIO driver and HAPI for sweeps and measurement. JRiver works well too with the Merging ASIO driver for real time convolution xovers, this is how I listen to music in the lounge.

But I couldn't get Acourate Convolver to work with the Merging driver for stand alone "soundcard" convolution, might try again when I get interested enough.

But this is all on a PC. If you are on a mac, I don't like your chances.
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Nut

Thanks David,
I'm PC over here. Dr. Uli suggested Voxengo Pristine Space as a way to assign multiple outputs from a stereo buss plugin.
Not sure if it'd be a bigger CPU drain than Acourate Convolver.

Curious if you dig deeper with Acourate's convolver.
Please post if so.

Thanks for the info!
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

Hi David

Mille merci for your notes.
I am on pc! please correct me if I am wrong:

you play your music files in Jriver which sees the Asio Acorate convolution xover and correction files, and the Acourate convolution files then sees the Merging Asio in/out which connect to the Hapi or Anubis over ethernet.

I do not exactly get the meaning of : "But I couldn't get Acourate Convolver to work with the Merging driver for stand alone "soundcard" convolution, might try again when I get interested enough".

Best regards,
Jorgen
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Nut

Anubis and Acourate Convolver

I asked Dr. Uli (he of Acourate) if he had used Acourate convolver with the Merging HAPI system. His reply below:

"Merging uses the Ravenna network interface and AcourateConvolver can use it thru the according Merging Asio driver.
The setup is a little strange compared to standard USB devices but afterwards it works reliable."

He also said he really the the Merging stuff in general.
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

I tried to get Acourate Convolver working with the Merging driver, but it would not lock up. This was so I could put the xover convolution for my loudspeakers (LX521) into the "soundcard" for all apps and not just in one application (JRiver).

Uli tried to assist too, but we couldn't get it working, but this was a year or so ago, I haven't tried with the new ASIO driver. But if Dr Brueggemann has since got it working then I'll have another go.
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Nut

Please keep us posted, David. Your use of Acourate xovers is exactly what I'd hope to do with Anubis in a 4 output configuration, in addition to Anubis/Ravenna integrating RME HDSPe forother AES devices.
Good luck, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
I tried to get Acourate Convolver working with the Merging driver, but it would not lock up. This was so I could put the xover convolution for my loudspeakers (LX521) into the "soundcard" for all apps and not just in one application (JRiver).

Uli tried to assist too, but we couldn't get it working, but this was a year or so ago, I haven't tried with the new ASIO driver. But if Dr Brueggemann has since got it working then I'll have another go.
Old 30th July 2019
Here for the gear

Again thanks to David and mftorso for info

My setup would be:
Qobuz>Audirvana>Acourate Convolver>Anubis 4ch or 6ch out>amp/speaker/subs

I wonder if David has both the Hapi and Anubis? if yes, is Hapi better sounding than the Anubis?
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Head

Hi All

Does anyone know if Merging plans a WASAPI driver for Windows, that will allow YouTube/Netflix/etc audio to play to Anubis?

Have they indicated a WASAPI driver is coming?
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I have tried that but all it seems to let you do is to send WDM to an ASIO output. Because the Anubis drivers are not multi-client capable you're still stuck. Perhaps Merging should hire him to write a multi-client and WDM capable driver?
I've seen this solution on Merging's site. It needs JRiver though, to allow a 'loop back' method.

https://confluence.merging.com/pages...ageId=24183632

If there is a free JRiver trial are you able to try it and report back if it worked with Anubis?
Old 30th July 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
Last October AES when I was shown Anubis. I ordered it through Parsons Audio. My delivery was from the first US release batch coming through the US distributor; Independent Audio, which was the second batch they received. Their first batch went to dealers as demos.

I hope your's is in the next batch, which your dealer can track and inform.

BTW, is your dealer local to you, and will they loan you theirs for exposure?

Tom
Tom.

Finally got i and trying to run it as a DA AD only via Protools and a Mac w/Yosemite ... having issues w/feedback and not able to get the signal out o Analog......was able once but then when I tried to set up the gain, it went to overdrive..... any feedback on it!!! calling MT Thank you hope all well w/u !!!
Old 30th July 2019
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em2016 View Post
I've seen this solution on Merging's site. It needs JRiver though, to allow a 'loop back' method.

https://confluence.merging.com/pages...ageId=24183632

If there is a free JRiver trial are you able to try it and report back if it worked with Anubis?
I no longer have an Anubis. The driver support was just not reliable enough at this stage and the JRiver solution seems quite convoluted. You could also try the free trial of LAWO R3LAY and just reset your "demo" every 20 minutes unless you feel like paying a few hundred for the software driver.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I no longer have an Anubis. The driver support was just not reliable enough at this stage and the JRiver solution seems quite convoluted. You could also try the free trial of LAWO R3LAY and just reset your "demo" every 20 minutes unless you feel like paying a few hundred for the software driver.
Thanks for the suggestion. Is their Virtual Sound Card software the one to try?

http://www.r3lay.com/product-categor...tion-software/

All the issues I've read of Anubis on this thread do seem to be driver/software/firmware related.

The good news is no reports of hardware issues (so far). So hopefully future software/firmware/driver updates can fix any bugs that exist.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head

There are now DSD512 tracks being recorded and sold.

Does anyone know if Anubis (and the other Merging products) are planned to support DSD512 one day, maybe via a firmware update?

Having Merging indicated to anyone?

Or is it a hardware limitation?
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are now DSD512 tracks being recorded and sold.
To whom, the question begs to be asked.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
To whom, the question begs to be asked.
Tom may know more but it's here:

https://www.nativedsd.com/homepage/dsd512_music

There's already a PCM768kHz recording available for purchase too (recorded with an RME ADI-2 Pro...)

Merging gear is currently 'limited' to DXD/DSD256.

Just wondered what Merging's thoughts/plans are.

Maybe it's a better question for them.
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

I must step in RE: DSD512 recordings.

When one is a high end hi-fi manufacturer, one always seeks a leg up on the competition. That's what is going on here since a 256 DSD recording is just re-recorded at a so-called 512 rate. There is no extra information ever.

Look to high end hi-fi gear to play back these ersatz 512 recordings.

Posters here should know better.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
There is no extra information ever.
True of course. What's different is the noise shaping profile of DSD512 compared to lower DSD bitrates. Customers with DAC's capable of playing DSD512, believe they hear a clarity difference (due to the gentler noise modulation filtering their reconstruction DAC employs), and thus has value. Merging currently does not support higher than DSD256, or PCM higher than 384KHz for either recording or playout. There's no reason to suppose they could not if there was a sufficient market.

I use HQPlayer Pro to produce nativedsd.com DSD512 deliverables, and only from DXD (352.8KHz PCM) masters. They're not remodulations of lower bitrate DSD content, so are a first generation DSD modulation, just like any other DSD deliverable from a DXD master.

Tom

Last edited by tailspn; 31st July 2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 31st July 2019
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Is their Virtual Sound Card software the one to try?

http://www.r3lay.com/product-categor...tion-software/

All the issues I've read of Anubis on this thread do seem to be driver/software/firmware related.

The good news is no reports of hardware issues (so far). So hopefully future software/firmware/driver updates can fix any bugs that exist.
Yes - http://www.r3lay.com/product/vsc-vir...und-card-demo/

With today's devices they are only really as good as their software. There's no point in having amazing hardware if the firmware and drivers are buggy. I do hope Merging gets the issues worked out though.

I stumbled across this recently too Ip Audio Pro project
If their results are to be believed they are truly impressive. Latency on par with a PCIe RME device, driver support which has developed very quickly, stable over a 100Mbps connection with heavy network traffic, AES67 support etc. At the very least it would show it can be technically achieved for AoIP devices.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
True of course. What's different is the noise shaping profile of DSD512 compared to lower DSD bitrates. Customers with DAC's capable of playing DSD512, believe they hear a clarity difference (due to the gentler noise modulation filtering their reconstruction DAC employs), and thus has value. Merging currently does not support higher than DSD256, or PCM higher than 384KHz for either recording or playout. There's no reason to suppose they could not if there was a sufficient market.

I use HQPlayer Pro to produce nativedsd.com DSD512 deliverables, and only from DXD (352.8KHz PCM) masters. They're not remodulations of lower bitrate DSD content, so are a first generation DSD modulation, just like any other DSD deliverable from a DXD master.

Tom
Since your Merging gear is limited to DSD256, what DAC/s do you use for mastering DSD512 deliverables?
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Since your Merging gear is limited to DSD256, what DAC/s do you use for mastering DSD512 deliverables?
I don't use HQPlayer Pro with a DAC, and no mastering/post processing is performed. Just a PCM to DSD format conversion. It outputs a file which I tag with metadata and send to one of Native's staff members for QC prior to uploading it to our delivery server. I believe a ifi xDSD is used as the DAC

This is quite off topic, so if you'd like additional detail, just PM me.

Thanks,
Tom
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search