The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Merging Anubis
Old 16th June 2019
I'll say this about Merging Support. They are super helpful, super knowledgeable, and incredibly thorough on their testing.

Regarding the Adobe Audition problem. Merging tested their devices with Audition after I emailed them, and they received the same glitches during playback. However they found out that it only occurred with the AES67 latency mode settings. I had my Anubis set to the AES67 settings because that was recommended when using an AES67 stream from my Dante AVIO device. Switching to the non-AES latency settings cleared up the problem, and doesn't seem to affect the AVIO stream.

Here is a pic of the Anubis next to the RME Babyface for size comparison. Not much bigger, really. But the Anubis gets much, much hotter. I always turn it off when not in use:
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-anubis-babyface.jpg  
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
But the Anubis gets much, much hotter. I always turn it off when not in use:
Same thing with a Hapi (or at least with mine), it gets pretty hot.
Old 16th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll say this about Merging Support. They are super helpful, super knowledgeable, and incredibly thorough on their testing.
Indeed, proper manufacturer and company. Just got it all up and running today. Anubis DAC sound quality is stunning. Haven't tested AD yet.

Last edited by David Spearritt; 16th June 2019 at 01:49 PM..
Old 16th June 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpillo View Post
Same thing with a Hapi (or at least with mine), it gets pretty hot.
Mine was delivered with the fan speed set to Low, whereas the manual suggests Medium. It get warm set to Medium, and much less so set to High. But that's pretty noisy.

I imagine the milled out aluminum case was designed as providing a heatsink and radiator for the 15 Watts of electronics dissipation, so it's designed to run warm to the touch.
Old 18th June 2019
Gear Head

Quote:

Regarding the Adobe Audition problem. Merging tested their devices with Audition after I emailed them, and they received the same glitches during playback. However they found out that it only occurred with the AES67 latency mode settings. I had my Anubis set to the AES67 settings because that was recommended when using an AES67 stream from my Dante AVIO device. Switching to the non-AES latency settings cleared up the problem, and doesn't seem to affect the AVIO stream.

Here is a pic of the Anubis next to the RME Babyface for size comparison. Not much bigger, really. But the Anubis gets much, much hotter. I always turn it off when not in use:
Daniel. What is the difference of Asio latency and Cpu loading between Anubis and Babyface pro if you open the same big DAW project with a lot of Fx inserts and sends with Anubis and after with Babyface Pro in comparison?

Last edited by Ainhaya; 18th June 2019 at 04:41 PM..
Old 18th June 2019
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainhaya View Post
What is the difference of Asio latency and Cpu loading between Anubis and Babyface pro if you open the same big DAW project with a lot of Fx inserts and sends with Anubis and after with Babyface Pro in comparison?
I did extensive tests with Anubis, RME, AoIP, and USB interfaces and the Anubis on my system was roughly 1.5-2x the RTL of those other devices at the same ASIO buffer setting. CPU load was also higher at the same buffer setting. In a real-world situation, if you're running a session at a 256 buffer size which is towards the upper limit of your system with the RME, to match similar latency performance you'll need to use the Anubis at 128 buffer size. Of course this obviously increases the strain on the system resources and pushes the system over its limit. The ASIO drivers need some optimization for sure.

Feel free to try the tests using something like http://www.oblique-audio.com/free/rtlutility

Last edited by TLS; 18th June 2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 24th June 2019
Lives for gear

I was supposed to get mine earlier this month, but now I'm being told there's a parts delay and I won't receive the Anubis until mid-July at the earliest...too bad, will have to remain patient I suppose.
Old 28th June 2019
Lives for gear

Drivers for Mac Mohave?

Anyone hear anything about new Mac os, drivers for the Anubis?

Just ordered a new Mac-Book pro, and I'll be needing these .....
Old 28th June 2019
Aes67 vad

^Currently, AES67 VAD Is certified on Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave 10.14.1

"Warning: not supported under macOS Mojave 10.14.5. We strongly advise our users NOT to update to this version and remain on 10.14.4 or previous versions"
Old 29th June 2019
Lives for gear

Hey Doc,
I know that, but I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a new software release,
as the new computer only has the latest software installed.
Old 1st July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
Anyone hear anything about new Mac os, drivers for the Anubis?

Just ordered a new Mac-Book pro, and I'll be needing these .....
Why did you do that? Get with the strength.
https://netmarketshare.com/operating...%22-1000%22%7D
Old 2nd July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt View Post
Why did you do that? Get with the strength.
https://netmarketshare.com/operating...%22-1000%22%7D
It's time Apple dropped the word Pro as their MacBook suffix, they've abandoned any association with Pro usage long ago, and these machines (2018 and on) are now plagued with noise, dropouts, glitching as bad as any Windows laptop For example: MBP High Sierra and Mojave CoreAudio overload bug

Last edited by studer58; 2nd July 2019 at 08:05 AM..
Old 3rd July 2019
Gear Nut

I've had my ANUBIS for about a week now and am posting with some unorganized impressions.

AB'ing it with the DA in my HAPI: ANUBIS keeps pace easily. All the Merging qualities are here: effortless, clearly defined attack transients. Nothing hyped, all neutral. I use it for playback of field recordings. Frogs sound like frogs, birds birds, all is right in the world.

Headphone stage is stellar. I'm only using it to run my Sennheiser HD 25-1 IIs and can't comment on less efficient models, but can say that I have never heard them sound better.

Heat: yes this box gets HOT. Turning down screen brightness to a lower, though very acceptable level, seemed to help a lot. MED and HIGH fan settings are unacceptably loud for me and I assume for many here who want to monitor acoustic music. The good news is that LOW is inaudible (to me at least) and with a lower screen level, the box nevers gets too hot to touch.

I run macOS Sierra and the software has been flawless so far. DAW and the entire system are piped trough ANUBIS, just like HAPI.

Build quality is SUPREME. If for some reason you have Leica-level expectations when it comes to audio gear, you will not be disappointed. Its black finish is less a fingerprint magnet that I had assumed.

UX appears slow compared to fingers used to iPhone-level responsiveness, but it's not especially cumbersome. I do hope a speedier interface is just a firmware update away.
Old 3rd July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltarm View Post
UX appears slow compared to fingers used to iPhone-level responsiveness, but it's not especially cumbersome. I do hope a speedier interface is just a firmware update away.
Not sure I'll use it much for monitoring. I can imagine the music mission (sic) setup will use it, but for the monitor mission (sic) I use the PMX, Aneman and the html interface from Anubis web server, with a mouse.
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear

All dressed up and no where to go!

For the moment, I'm dead in the water with this computer, till the new drivers are written.

If nothing more, it sure does look purdy~!
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-t3crigclose-2.jpg  
Old 13th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobtwiddler View Post
For the moment, I'm dead in the water with this computer, till the new drivers are written.

If nothing more, it sure does look purdy~!
Add a Harley-Davidson power plant and you're ready to roll I'd say !
Old 14th July 2019
Lives for gear

Add a Harley-Davidson power plant and you're ready to roll I'd say !

Ha!
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

I picked up my Anubis yesterday and am having trouble figuring out how to connect it to Reaper, despite following steps in the various manuals and things people have mentioned on this thread. Reaper seems to acknowledge the interface, but when I click away from Reaper to Aneman, the ASIO connection in Aneman disappears, then reappears only when I click back into Reaper. When in Aneman, Reaper says "Audio Device Closed." I can hit play in Reaper, then navigate to Aneman and choose both the Anubis and ASIO to bring up the matrix, but I'm unable to patch anything like the manual shows. I'm seeing orange boxes under "DAW 1-2" (and all sources except for Mic / Line / Instrument). The Anubis and Ravenna ASIO panel are set to the same latency, and I've tried both AES67 and 64 for latency settings, but the boxes are still orange and I can't seem to connect Reaper to the Anubis. Am I missing something simple?
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by over-man View Post
I picked up my Anubis yesterday and am having trouble figuring out how to connect it to Reaper, despite following steps in the various manuals and things people have mentioned on this thread. Reaper seems to acknowledge the interface, but when I click away from Reaper to Aneman, the ASIO connection in Aneman disappears, then reappears only when I click back into Reaper. When in Aneman, Reaper says "Audio Device Closed." I can hit play in Reaper, then navigate to Aneman and choose both the Anubis and ASIO to bring up the matrix, but I'm unable to patch anything like the manual shows. I'm seeing orange boxes under "DAW 1-2" (and all sources except for Mic / Line / Instrument). The Anubis and Ravenna ASIO panel are set to the same latency, and I've tried both AES67 and 64 for latency settings, but the boxes are still orange and I can't seem to connect Reaper to the Anubis. Am I missing something simple?
In Reaper, Options, Preferences, Audio, Uncheck first setting that says:
Close Audio Device when stopped and application is inactive.
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks David! That helps, but I'm still only seeing the orange boxes in the matrix. I knew it would be a little tricky to setup, but I'm getting a bit frustrated after waiting almost two months longer than I thought to get the unit...thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-aneman_orange.jpg   Merging Anubis-ravennaasio.png   Merging Anubis-reaperprefs.png  
Old 25th July 2019
Lives for gear

Just connect ASIO outputs 1 and 2 to the DAW 1-2 Sources in Anubis. This connects the stereo output from Reaper to a source called "DAW" in Anubis. Then just connect your loudspeaker amp to the XLR or unbalanced connectors of Anubis. Anubis has a little digital mixer on board, you connect inputs and outputs to this little mixer.

The Blue matrix intersections are your "soft' connections, the grey intersections are the inbuilt "firm" connections. When I first got Anubis I deleted those grey connections and just connected my ASIO outputs to the Anubis hardware outputs directly. Full range audio out my speakers as I had patched out the digital mixer and volume control.

IOW, leave the grey connections in place and just connect your ASIO inputs and outputs to the Anubis mixer Sources and Monitors as required.

PS. I wish Merging would drop the "Sources", "Monitors", "Connections From" and "Connections To" terminology and just use "Input" and "Output". Much less ambiguous. I find myself looking twice at Aneman every time trying to remember which of the matrix rows or columns are inputs and outputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Merging Anubis-capture.jpg  

Last edited by David Spearritt; 26th July 2019 at 12:42 AM..
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just connect ASIO outputs 1 and 2 to the DAW 1-2 Sources in Anubis. This connects the stereo output from Reaper to a source called "DAW" in Anubis.
This is the part I'm not getting. So, rather than trying to manually check the matrix boxes in Aneman, I should be making this link between ASIO 1/2 and DAW 1-2 in the Anubis itself? On the Anubis, I've gone to settings, Sources, DAW 1-2. I can see that it's enabled, and the channels are patched to "Stream_1" and "Stream_2", but when I click on that I'm not seeing ASIO as an option.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is the part I'm not getting. So, rather than trying to manually check the matrix boxes in Aneman, I should be making this link between ASIO 1/2 and DAW 1-2 in the Anubis itself? On the Anubis, I've gone to settings, Sources, DAW 1-2. I can see that it's enabled, and the channels are patched to "Stream_1" and "Stream_2", but when I click on that I'm not seeing ASIO as an option.
No, connect it in Aneman. Click the intersection of ASIO Outputs 1 and 2 and DAW 1-2. Then click Apply Unicast.
Old 26th July 2019
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Sounds like you're dealing with buggy drivers and buggy Aneman. I ran into the exact same issues as you where the connections remained orange and wouldn't connect even though all instructions were followed correctly.

I ended up having to go into the advanced Ravenna browser and manually delete all connections and then re-create them from scratch with Aneman open. It was a bit hit and miss as to whether they'd be remembered the next system boot. Merging confirmed the issue at the time and hoped a new Aneman version would solve the issue. I no longer have the unit to test but it looks like a new version of Aneman (and drivers) were released yesterday so those are probably worth trying in the event the issues have been fixed.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks TLS, definitely sounds like the same issue. It simply won't let me click any of the boxes to make a connection even though everything else seems to be working properly on its own. I'll download the new software and test later tonight.

edit: actually, I just downloaded the software last night around 1am, and looking at the site again, it looks like I have the latest versions of Aneman & the drivers. The firmware version on my Anubis says "1.0.9b40042", and the one on the site says "1.0.9 40042" - so, basically the same thing but without the b. I'm assuming mine is the newer version, but I could try the other firmware I guess. I think I'll try the manual deleting and adding connections in Aneman first though.
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

I connected it all up in Reaper earlier and it works fine.

Please follow Merging instructions and use the latest software and firmware as published on the website right now. Also the Aneman manual is very helpful. But I hate it when people just say RTFM on forums. Make sure you clear all connections in Aneman and start afresh if need be. From the Aneman menu, Action, Clear All Connections.

Anubis should be on firmware:
https://merging.com/uploads/assets/I...9_40042.Anubis

and ASIO driver is:
https://merging.com/uploads/assets/I...ild683_x64.exe
Old 26th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please follow Merging instructions and use the latest software and firmware as published on the website right now. Also the Aneman manual is very helpful. But I hate it when people just say RTFM on forums. Make sure you clear all connections in Aneman and start afresh if need be. From the Aneman menu, Action, Clear All Connections.
I've confirmed that I already have all of the latest Aneman, drivers, and firmware for the Anubis. While I haven't read every page of all of the manuals, I've read the setup portions on each several times and have followed everything step by step. It's just not an easy setup, and it sounds like Merging is aware of issues for at least some users. If Merging is really going after regular musicians with this unit, they'll need to tighten up some of their setup instructions or they're going to be deluged with support requests... Thanks for the help - I'll let the thread return to more positive aspects of the Anubis and will comment back when I eventually get it worked out!
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Nut

Stereo Subs?

Is anyone running stereo mains, stereo subs, 4 channel DAW ASIO output to 4 channel Anubis line outs?

I hope to run Acourate for correction and sub-crossovers with 4 independent line outputs. Volume control of all with the rotary knob.

Looks doable. Too cool for a small mastering rig!
Old 26th July 2019
Quote:
Make sure you clear all connections in Aneman and start afresh if need be. From the Aneman menu, Action, Clear All Connections.
Although I don't have an Anubis, this rings true for all Merging hardware. Doing a large track count recording recently, I even found I had to use the "Delete receiver" on the orange connections to start from scratch. In that case it was necessary due to connections I could no longer access. This can happen if a Horus or Hapi was connected but is not at present, or MADI channels that halved going from 1fs to 2fs. As David says, definitely clear your connections before trying to make this work.

Also the occasional restart of both your hardware and your confuser can be helpful. Hope you get it all working. The upsides to all this config stuff is that you can save your settings in a file, then leave it be once it's all operational.

Cheers
Old 26th July 2019
Gear Nut

Along the lines of this discussion, but with respect to Core Audio in macOS, in addition to Action>Clear All Connections, if you're still having trouble make sure that the sample rate set Audio MIDI Setup matches what's set in Anubis.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search