The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Broadcast Compressor for Classical
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Yes, I get all the thought about not using compression (or anything else) on the output of a classical music broadcast. And yes, I suppose the station can use any gain stage in their studio to level the gain for transmission. That is what I am ALWAYS concerned about. It could be an Orban. I usually have no idea.

So I like to send a good level, as near as I am able, but I'd still like to keep any clipping out of the equation. So that means using something to tame the BIG surprises. I always want that "taming" to be one or two dB of gain reduction even on big surprises. Otherwise, I want the box to be transparent. What's the use of putting up top tier mics, world-class preamps, and etc if the final box wrecks everything?

Most times, no compressor/limiter is ever in my chain and as suggested above, I simply record at lower levels and then appropriately set the final gain in post where I have all the control.

D.
it all boils down to whether you're going onair live, whether you're last in the chain and whether you therefore have to meet specific criteria.

if you don't, use (or don't use) whatever makes you happy; if you do, there are plenty of very good reasons to use a digital compressor/limiter - in fact, it be silly not to use any!
Old 24th May 2020
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
dbmax converters don't sound bad at all and the output can get scaled in the analog domain - if not using a jünger, i prefer it any day over an avalon(or any other analog comp/lim)!
I agree.

I own both a Jünger d02 and a TC DBMAX.

Jünger d02 is a good alternative. It doesn't have all the functionality that the DBMAX has, instead it has a gentle and very musical digital compression along with upward-expansion that raises the low-level details in the music.

And modern Jünger products probably have more functionality. I have never gotten past using the d02. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
it all boils down to whether you're going onair live, whether you're last in the chain and whether you therefore have to meet specific criteria.

if you don't, use (or don't use) whatever makes you happy; if you do, there are plenty of very good reasons to use a digital compressor/limiter - in fact, it be silly not to use any!
I agree.

Apart from being a helping hand with the levels, good-sounding buss processing will give the music more energy, vibe and punch, me thinks.

Cheers
Fred
📝 Reply