The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New 2 ch pre from Sonosax
Old 8th September 2018
Lives for gear

I also saw that sale and almost jumped out of my chair before I realized it did not include the AD8+ but rather the nice fader module. No doubt, Sonosax will have a nice run with the lineup. While I've been tempted to start with the AD8+, I haven't yet as I have a lot of gear changes happening at the same time right now.

If I was settled with the new gear and the AD8+ was precluded as an option I'd still be tempted by that M2D2. Anyone have an idea as to the likely price tag?
Old 8th September 2018
Gear Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swing View Post
Anyone have an idea as to the likely price tag?
If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.
Old 8th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
If you have to ask the price you can't afford it.
Nahhh, depending on my choices I can afford the AD8+ to start, and when dust settles the R4+. But for the M2D2 you may be correct, but I am curious nonetheless.
Old 8th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nahhh, depending on my choices I can afford the AD8+ to start, and when dust settles the R4+. But for the M2D2 you may be correct, but I am curious nonetheless.
It would be interesting to know what you plan on connecting the AD8+ to.
Old 8th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton View Post
It would be interesting to know what you plan on connecting the AD8+ to.
Straight to a laptop with the avb module.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear
Headline: Sonosax remasters the legendary USBPre2!

Ok, well...not exactly. It’ll have superior sound quality, of course, but it isn’t quite the “Swiss Army Knife” that the good folks in Reedburg, Wisconsin have been building for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issadore View Post
SONONEWS September 2018 – Sonosax
Features look really great!
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwanajim View Post
Headline: Sonosax remasters the legendary USBPre2!
Haha!

D.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Straight to a laptop with the avb module.
May I please advise that the avb module does not work properly. I have tested it thoroughly and Sonosax published a warning note after I notified them of my findings.

Mac High Sierra has a bug that prevents recording above 48kHz. with AVB.

The AES output on the AD8+ outputs AES that is missing the professional flags.
Often the devices receiving the Sonosax AES stream will not lock to it because they are looking for professional flags in the data stream.

The above constitutes the reasons ai bought the R4+ recorder to go with the AD8+. Now the two work very well together.

Sonosax says they are working on a Dante option card for the AD8+.
Old 9th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
May I please advise that the avb module does not work properly. I have tested it thoroughly and Sonosax published a warning note after I notified them of my findings.

Mac High Sierra has a bug that prevents recording above 48kHz. with AVB.

The AES output on the AD8+ outputs AES that is missing the professional flags.
Often the devices receiving the Sonosax AES stream will not lock to it because they are looking for professional flags in the data stream.

The above constitutes the reasons ai bought the R4+ recorder to go with the AD8+. Now the two work very well together.

Sonosax says they are working on a Dante option card for the AD8+.
Hi Hudson, thanks for the info. I am aware of the avb issues at higher sampling rates and I have spoken with sonosax about the dante efforts. Do you have any knowledge as to whether the higher sampling issues may be resolved under Mojave?
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Mojave and AVB. Now THAT is a great idea.

D.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

I have noticed you dislike avb, as opposed to dante/aes67, and I can't say I blame you. And yeah, Mojave is only in a late beta but I am nonetheless curious.
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have noticed you dislike avb, as opposed to dante/aes67, and I can't say I blame you. And yeah, Mojave is only in a late beta but I am nonetheless curious.
Yeah, that was a bit snarky. Sorry

I do hear that there are lots of bug in Mojave; seems like a few will crash your Mac so badly that you'll lose everything on your drive. But it IS in early development beta so I, for one, would never ever mount it on any working machine. I am almost ready to bump up to High Sierra but have some fear that things like plugins and controllers won't fare well. But it seems pretty stable at this point.

AVB? It's not that I don't like it so much as it just seems like a bad choice when compared. So limited. Maybe AES67 will make it, and others like Ravenna more able to play in other networks and thus, solve that limitation (and in the case of Ravenna, make some top-tier gear available)

But I will contend that Dante is the most robust and most widely accepted AoIP scheme and I have personally yet to have a problem in my closed Dante network in any of the jobs that I have done with it.

FWIW.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
New 2 ch pre from Sonosax-screen-shot-2018-09-10-7.22.06-am.png  
Old 10th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
. . .

But I will contend that Dante is the most robust and most widely accepted AoIP scheme and I have personally yet to have a problem in my closed Dante network in any of the jobs that I have done with it.

FWIW.

D.
No worries, I didn't take anything negatively and actually agree with the sentiment.

But I think Mojave will be released next month; of course I could be wrong. Could it have more problems than HS? I hope not, although the trouble I've had with HS only concerned a couple of plug-ins.

If the missing flags Plush mentions are SCMS bits then it seems feasible to me that Apple could address this pretty easily. Regardless, elsewhere on GS are threads which laud Apple's deep support of avb so maybe the issues are not straightforward.

Anyway, I have a couple of unused MacBook Pros sitting around and could see running it with Mojave IF I bought an AD8+ and IF I wanted to run higher than 48kHz and IF I needed 8 channels and IF testing ran well. A whole lot of IFs.

I agree with the Dante comments, which is why I had gone to the trouble and called over to Sonosax.
Old 2nd March 2019
Gear Head

[QUOTE=Swing;13510244 I have spoken with sonosax about the dante efforts. [/QUOTE]

Did Sonosax mention when they are releasing the Dante option card?
Old 3rd March 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Yeah, that was a bit snarky. Sorry

AVB? It's not that I don't like it so much as it just seems like a bad choice when compared. So limited. Maybe AES67 will make it, and others like Ravenna more able to play in other networks and thus, solve that limitation (and in the case of Ravenna, make some top-tier gear available)

D.
From what I gathered, AES67 is not actually its own protocol, but a set of standards that encourage the other protocols to communicate with one another. Any ethernet protocol can be "AES67 compliant." Dante does have the majority of the market. Perhaps the manufacturers like the idea of using a well supported protocol controlled by a private company and not an open-source free alternative like AVB.
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Addict

Revivifying this thread since we are nearly at the dawn of delivery of the SX-M2D2, and it's been referenced in other more recent threads.

I was set on the Pueblo Isleta, which is not to be. I want a small, battery-powered stereo mic pre that is as quiet and detailed as can possibly be, for recording very quiet ambient sources. From all reports, the Sonosax pres deliver this, without compromise. The size and battery-power of this is profoundly exciting.

Given the design of the signal chain, and how I think it works in conjunction with the A/D, I'm wondering if we are doing a subtle disservice to the absolute fidelity of the signal by converting it back to analogue out and running that in to another recorder.

Would it not, from an absolutist point of view, be preferable to run the AES3 out in to a recorder with AES inputs?

Of course I welcome any additional thoughts from anyone. I've read a couple early beta user shakedown reports, and they are all good.

I may yet just go all in on the SX-R4+, but if I get the SX-M2D2, I know I'll be questioning the validity of running it back out to analogue, as I currently do not have a portable recorder with AES in.
Old 18th October 2019
Great question. Sonosax pres are killer, so that's a benefit there, regardless of what recorder you use.

But if you can get the digital signal, you'll be benefiting from the Sonosax AD, which is also great. There are some recorders with digital ins. My Tascam DR100 has a digital input, but I've never tested it. The DR680 has a digital input, as did the Edirol (now Roland) R44. And various Sound Devices recorders. What do you have? What's on your radar? The R4+ is baller...
Old 19th October 2019
Lives for gear

Just returned from the AES show and hung with Jacques Sax and great new marketing man Fabrice Junod. They had the Dante card at the show and said it probably would be ready by the end of the year.

M2D2 is ready and units being made at the factory. Delivery is scheduled for mid to late November. Price is around $1500.

I have placed my order for a M2D2 and will use it LINE IN on the R4+.

Also use the M2D2 on my iphone.

I don't see any problem in using the analog outs of the M2D2 since Sonosax dac is excellent. Unbalanced is not a problem and in this design sounds better than balanced.

Get your orders in now. Support the company.

You can buy direct by sending an email to the factory

[email protected]

https://www.sonosax.ch/sononews-september-2019/

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-m2d2/

======> Address any questions to Fabrice Junod at SONOSAX. He is very knowledgeable and speaks English well.

Reach him at:

[email protected]

Last edited by Plush; 22nd October 2019 at 05:44 PM..
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

I am looking forward to the Dante card for my R4+. As noted, the sound quality is impressive. My whole studio runs Dante, and being able to have the R4+ "on the network" will be great. The combination of such nice preamps going directly into world-class A/D with no cables, muss or fuss in a battery powered package is just superlative. It's like a fine Leica camera. There are few controls. But they are the exact ones you need, and none of the ones you don't. If the goal is just to record sound - what a tool!
Old 21st October 2019
Lives for gear

Does anybody know how to synchronize clocks between multiple SX-M2D2's? Or between SX-M2D2 and other converters?
Old 23rd October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Also use the M2D2 on my iphone.
I glossed over this detail, never having given much thought to using a phone/ipad.

But! I'm coming around to like this idea.

Which recording app(s?) will you use with the Sonosax?

My order is being placed.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Does anybody know how to synchronize clocks between multiple SX-M2D2's? Or between SX-M2D2 and other converters?
Funny thing - the AES output has the ASRC not the input
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher View Post
Appears to be an important point not apparent in the design. It might be like the USB-Pre2 where you can feed it an AES3-IN and clock off that.
Old 23rd October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieter k View Post
I glossed over this detail, never having given much thought to using a phone/ipad.

But! I'm coming around to like this idea.

Which recording app(s?) will you use with the Sonosax?

My order is being placed.
Fabrice Junod showed me several apps to do recording on an iPhone.
One that he liked is called TW Recorder. I have not checked it out yet so I don't know anything about it.

Another is called Auphonic.
Old 24th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Fabrice Junod showed me several apps to do recording on an iPhone.
One that he liked is called TW Recorder. I have not checked it out yet so I don't know anything about it.

Another is called Auphonic.
I wonder if TW Recorder is what is listed as Twisted Wave Audio Editor on Sonosax's site, under Documents. I've seen a few endorsements for this app, and I think it supports 192khz for people who need it.

https://www.sonosax.ch/product/sx-m2d2/

Auphonic looks like it's part of an integrated service, although I'm sure it'll work as a standalone; not clear based on this if it supports higher than 48khz:

https://auphonic.com/help/mobile/ios...audio-recorder

Sonosax also mentions--without supporting--Apogee's Metarecorder (doesn't record in 192khz I think), and Audio Evolution for iOS.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search