The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Small mixers that can do 96KHz
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

So no consideration of having multiple more specialized rigs for various gigs, as opposed to one (bigish) Rolls-Royce/Swiss Army Knife ? I guess it seems to me that having one big rig that checks all boxes will often get used on jobs where the contents of many of those boxes won't be needed, and, of course, new boxes will get added fairly often? As a small biz owner I'm leery of tying up so much capital in a single tool.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
I'm not Charlie, but I can tell you my problems with the DM1k.
  • Its a 17 year old design (from 2002)
  • It only has 16 digital inputs at 96k
  • The surround implementation is cumbersome to say the least and surround monitoring is lackluster.
  • ergonomics are lousy.
Ben's original list had 32 inputs, 96k, surround in the list.
The other big problem with the DM1000, is that even though it will take in 32 channels at 96k (actually 36, with the 4 omni inputs) is: how do you get all of those channels out of the mixer? It's fine if you are doing a live gig, or a live to CD/two-track or broadcast mix where you are mixing the recording live. If you want to be able to multi-track with it, then you are able to get, at best (by my count) only 28 channels of output. You get the 12 Omni, plus 8 channels for each of the MY card slots when running at 96k.

If you have an audio interface, such as a Focusrite Red 8Pre that has a Dante connection, you can put two of the MY16-AUD Dante cards in the DM1000, and send the 16 on board mic pres to the Focusrite (and at the same time send the 16 analog inputs from the Focsurtie to the DM1000 for live mixing). And then pull the signal from the Dante network to record.

This is what I am going to be doing with my DM2000 for the remote truck that I'm working on. Except that with the extra MY card slots of the DM2000, and extra mic pres, I'll be able to send 48 to 56 channels to the DM2000 for live mixing, as well as recording at 96k. And I can do 64 at 48k if the job warrants it.

At the same time, both of these consoles will operate as HUI control surfaces for your DAW software. Which makes them nice as they are able to do double duty, for the lvie recording/mix as well as a control surface for mixing later.

The DM1000 is small enough to take on a one-off location recording. The DM2000, not so much.
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

DM2000 with three (or four) Dante cards will give you 24 (32) tracks at 24/96. Each of those cards is $500 plus used, and while I have seen a few DM2000 panels for around $1500 lately, it IS a beast. Excellent panel tho, even at $3500 but big and heavy.

D.
Old 23rd February 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
So no consideration of having multiple more specialized rigs for various gigs, as opposed to one (bigish) Rolls-Royce/Swiss Army Knife ? I guess it seems to me that having one big rig that checks all boxes will often get used on jobs where the contents of many of those boxes won't be needed, and, of course, new boxes will get added fairly often? As a small biz owner I'm leery of tying up so much capital in a single tool.
This is how we have always run the company. Recording kits are assembled for the job, rather than a single kit that is good for everything (and overkill for most). It is much more affordable and efficient equipment-wise to work this way.However, it does require a more technical background from the team due to the requirement to assemble and/or troubleshoot onsite.
This is functionally the opposite of the "Truck" model. Each have their advantages.
As always, YMMV.
All the best,
-mark
Old 23rd February 2019
Lives for gear

This time I am quoting you so there is clear understanding of whom I am writing to!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubmax18 View Post
Hello!

I'm also looking for a solution!

Basically i'm recording mostly classical

I use 1 horus and 1 hapi and Pyramix has a recorder

I would like for live broadcast, to have a mixer with this particularities:

- compact from 8 to 16 faders
- up to 96Khz
- MADI connection and if possible also Ravenna/AES67
- Being able to make 5.1 mix
- loudness metering if possible

I don't really need preamps as i prefer to use those from Merging HAPI/HORUS

Of course i guess the top would a LAWO but it's really overbudget and i'm really surprised to not find something on the market...

Thanks for your help

All the best
Just about perfect is the Digico SD11B. Your not telling the budget other than the Lawo is too expensive is less then useless. The Yamaha DM1000 equipped is around $5k. The Digico SD11B is around $16k. Coincidently the SSD11B weighs about 3 times as much also.

Andre
Old 24th February 2019
Gear Addict

This thread has been refreshing - our company dealt with many of these frustrations in the last year when picking a new console for OB and flypack jobs.

I had priced out many of the aforementioned consoles, and whilst 96k or 5.1 were not a requirement, many of the consoles in the 10-20k USD budget didn't fit the bill. We ended up going with a Soundcraft Vi100 with an AES card and a secondary Dante card, mated to a Waves Server with a Hear Technologies WSG bridge. This gives us 128x128 IO over Dante, with 163x163 IO total to feed comms + 96 inputs to mix. The VMix automixer is nice for those of us working with commentary - a different flavor versus Dugan, but still very useful. Not to shabby for an 11k console. I definitely agree that its raised meter bridge, while offering great UI features, makes for an obscenely large flight case relative to the size of the surface. I also keep begging Soundcraft to allow a pre-fade pick point for bus master direct outputs though - cannot stand that they haven't implemented this. It's an absolute must in broadcast settings.

I really wanted a Calrec Brio, but the expenditure was just too much. Even the smaller Brio was $24k without any IO.

The SD11i/b, while very full-featured, is still stuck in legacy MADI world, with no card slot available. This makes somewhat of a no-go for us in Dante world.

The S21 has a nice feature set, but had no post-fader Automix at the time. With the new AMM card, I would've probably put it back in the running if we were making a purchase in 2019.

I really liked the feature set of the DLive series. A C1500 surface seems to be the current top choice for flying a touring console package around. I've heard nothing but good things about sound quality and feature set. At this juncture you're looking at $13k for mix engine and surface, before IO and any card slots you would require.

Has anyone considered the SSL L100 yet? I had a demo in NYC at their offices, and the feature set is quote amazing. Not cheap, but certainly worth a look.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

The SSL is an interesting looking desk. I got the L500 demo when it came out and I was generally very impressed with the functionality (the ergonomics aren't good, but the sound and functionality are excellent). Do you know about how much that desk costs?

--Ben
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

SSL consoles are all pretty high dollar. Even the small ones.
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

I didn’t make AES this year. Anything new to consider meeting these requirements? Folks have gotten Dante and Ravenna connected. Does this open any new possibilities?
Cameron
Old 1st November 2019
Super Moderator

Seems like the new Allen & Heath Avantis is quite the happening "budget" desk with many options like their bigger desks.
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Wow. They've hit a bunch of the issues that I saw with their older lines of desks. Still looks, however, like it's hardwired to 96KHz... How do you use it as a recording desk at 48KHz? Not sure I'm happy with having to downsample everything.

--Ben
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

If I understand correctly, the A&H SQ panels run at an internal SR of 96k but an operator can set an I/O SR to at least 48k (I don't have my panel out right now) and maybe 44.1k and 88.2. I know I can run the Dante card at 48k or 96k whichever I choose.

D.
Attached Thumbnails
Small mixers that can do 96KHz-screen-shot-2019-11-01-1.48.33-pm.png  
Old 1st November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
If I understand correctly, the A&H SQ panels run at an internal SR of 96k but an operator can set an I/O SR to at least 48k (I don't have my panel out right now) and maybe 44.1k and 88.2. I know I can run the Dante card at 48k or 96k whichever I choose.

D.
I understood the same.. (I believe you could choose 48k or 96k with the dante card).
Maybe somebody from A&H can confirm
(Or correct)..

Cheu
Old 2nd November 2019
Super Moderator

You can choose the sampling frequency per input or output channels without affects your other I/O. Built in conversation per channel or buss, if I'm not mistaken.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search