The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Zoom Recorder Announced: Zoom F4
Old 21st January 2017 | Show parent
Here for the gear

sound quality comparison with RME UCX

To get an idea of the sound quality of my zoom f4, I made some comparison recordings against an RME UCX. I used 1 microphone at a fixed position and I did my best to keep the same instrument position as well. There is one piece on bass clarinet and one on clarinet, each piece is repeated twice on each recorder.
Attached Files
File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-001.fla (7.31 MB, 106 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-002.fla (7.40 MB, 84 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-003.fla (7.49 MB, 74 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-004.fla (7.31 MB, 74 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-005.fla (7.88 MB, 93 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-006.fla (8.05 MB, 64 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-007.fla (8.12 MB, 74 views) File Type: fla rms_vs_zoom-008.fla (8.11 MB, 111 views)
Old 31st January 2017
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am following up on a previous post about Zoom. I was very taken back by my perceived lack of service from ZOOM in regards to a stuck XLR.

I followed Sammy Nino's advice and sent the unit in to be examined. After further examination, ZOOM agreed to replace the unit at no cost. I have to say, Sammy worked hard to turn a bad situation into a great one. I'm happy with the ZOOM F8 for the projects I'm using it for. Having 4 of them and needing several more, it has turned me back on to ZOOM for this purpose.

In terms of sound quality, it certainly works for the intended purpose for my company. And excellent recorder / mixer that allows me to continue to earn a profit on events that don't need the SD, NAGRA or ZAXCOM level or budget.

Thanks Sammy for your hard work for my company. It makes a difference.

Tim
Old 31st January 2017
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't know Sammy, but I buy things like this from Sweetwater where they have an extra year free warranty at no cost :-) Saved me bucks more than once.

I just ordered the new mixer https://www.zoom-na.com/products/fie...ote-controller and am looking forward to it!
Old 1st February 2017
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If anybody thinks the Zoom F8 will sound like a/any Nagra recorder they will be very disappointed when they hear them next to each other...it does not even come close in my opinion. Neither the recordings or the playback sound as good as the Nagra SD or the seven, even the little Sony PCM D100 sounded better.

All you guys commenting on the Stagetec consoles should use it first before commenting about it, I've used the Aurus more than a few times to mix live music...(with real musicians on real stages with real instruments using real microphones) and will say hands down that this is the best sounding digital console I've ever used and heard, and I've used most of them. The Studer Vista consoles come closest of the consoles I've used...and yes, you would have to do something really silly to overload the inputs, the Aurus can handle considerably higher input levels than any other console I have used.
Old 1st February 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
If anybody thinks the Zoom F8 will sound like a/any Nagra recorder they will be very disappointed when they hear them next to each other...it does not even come close in my opinion. Neither the recordings or the playback sound as good as the Nagra SD or the seven, even the little Sony PCM D100 sounded better.

All you guys commenting on the Stagetec consoles should use it first before commenting about it, I've used the Aurus more than a few times to mix live music...(with real musicians on real stages with real instruments using real microphones) and will say hands down that this is the best sounding digital console I've ever used and heard, and I've used most of them. The Studer Vista consoles come closest of the consoles I've used...and yes, you would have to do something really silly to overload the inputs, the Aurus can handle considerably higher input levels than any other console I have used.
hi sam, are you in the states or other ??? since you have experience with the stagetec .. i know of the only 2 in the states at the moment .. cheers john

too bad about the zoom sound, but good enough for some work is alright ..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
hi sam, are you in the states or other ??? since you have experience with the stagetec .. i know of the only 2 in the states at the moment
I'm in Europe but I know of a few (Aurus and Crescendo) consoles on Broadway and in broadcast trucks in the US.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
I'm in Europe but I know of a few (Aurus and Crescendo) consoles on Broadway and in broadcast trucks in the US.

right on .. yeah, my buddies have 2 in their OB trucks .. pretty sweet sounding and can take a real beating level wise for sure .. just that everyone else in the mobile truck world uses Studer Vista's .. a tough learning curve for new mixers ..
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Addict
I purchased the Zoom F4 earlier this year, but only just now got around to uploading an unboxing of it that I filmed ages ago on my cellphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXSLbg8DrqA

Old 24th November 2017
Gear Addict
Black Friday Deal: The Zoom F4 is $499:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F4-Multi.../dp/B01KZHQWY0

Damn, what a bargain! I spent more than that, but don't regret a single penny of it.
Old 24th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMetzinger View Post
There are LOTS of things worse than cheap digital. There's all the cheap analog. Hell, in terms of fidelity, there's lots of the expensive analog that doesn't hold a candle to low and midrange digital gear made today.

I'm curious - is it your opinion that the cheap sound would come from the preamps in this device or from the A/D conversion?

I'd love to do an experiment sometime where some really good mics and preamps were used and then the line level inputs were fed simultaneously to a really high-end AD converter and to something like this unit, at the same sampling rate and bit depth. Then play back the files through a high-end DA converter and amp/speakers, and see if people could reliably tell the two apart in blind A/B testing.
WHOA!!!! Somebody sure got testy in a hurry! Taking this a little personally, are we? Have too much money invested in the lie to let anyone else get away with telling the truth?

I'll leave the main issue at that and deal with one other item, it's a word you used...FIDELITY

I'm going out on a limb and guessing you were an old-school analog engineer who had their pants romanced off by digital early on.

Those were the engineers who thought "color" was a bad thing and spend their whole careers trying to make tape not sound like tape, it was their goal in life to achieve "Fidelity" and they put it ahead of everything else, digital seemed like a dream come true....that's is until consumer reaction kicked in and they realised their precious fidelity really only mattered to them and their engineer buddies.

It kills these guys to see people chasing the color and distortion they spent their lives trying to rid the world of, the tape emulators popping up everywhere are a prelude to their worst nightmare:

.....THE RETURN OF TAPE AND ANALOG RECORDING MEDIA

It's inevitable, the world agrees on one thing and only thing only, not politics not religion,....just this.......

digital audio sounds like s**t
Old 24th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf View Post
24dbu is 4dbfs, certainly going to clip.

On the other hand say you are recording at -6dbfs, real hot, and have the limiter set for -2dbfs, the default. At -2db the limiter is going to cut in, and by 0dbfs it is fully on. And if the A/D is designed to handle +2dbfs it should be impossible to overload it because the limiter is preventing the level ever going over 0dbfs.

But you say, that the limiter is after the A/D converter so it will not prevent the preamp or A/D from overloading. Limiters work by reducing the bias, properly designed they should be reducing the bias on the pre, and maybe the A/D. That cuts the level at the A/D so it should not overload.

Where the problem comes in is thinking of the limiter as a separate black box that has no connection to the other stages. What it actually is is an adjustable automatic gain control. It can adjust the gain of the previous stages quite well. So as I said before, as long as the sound does not raise so fast it does not have time to react, it should work fine.

As I said in a previous post, I have mine set to come on at -6dbfs slow attack. That way it acts more as a compressor, reducing the gain slowly as the signal gets louder. I have been unable to overload the the recorder just by shouting into the mic.

There are advantages of having an analog limiter, but it is not that a digital one will not work.
It won't work for the reason you have it, not in this case

I'm not familiar with these products other than as quick idea notebooks for songwriting, for that they are fine.

Is someone saying Zoom has trumpeted a post AD converter limiter as a feature?

If that's true its f***king hilarious
Old 13th May 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

zoom F4 -- standby battery life

out of curiosity i measured the current drain of an F4 when turned OFF; it's 75uA, which translates to about 3 years' battery life (new to exhaustion), based on a Duracell's datasheet capacity of ~2000mAh at low drain. so you don't need to remove the battery pack if you're storing it for a few weeks, etc.
Old 19th May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulHorowitz View Post
out of curiosity i measured the current drain of an F4 when turned OFF; it's 75uA, which translates to about 3 years' battery life (new to exhaustion), based on a Duracell's datasheet capacity of ~2000mAh at low drain. so you don't need to remove the battery pack if you're storing it for a few weeks, etc.
Nice! I never worried about this anyway, but nice to know :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
Black Friday Deal: The Zoom F4 is $499:

https://www.amazon.com/Zoom-F4-Multi.../dp/B01KZHQWY0

Damn, what a bargain! I spent more than that, but don't regret a single penny of it.
Now it is at $450! Phenomenal.
Old 21st May 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I wonder if the F4 price drop stems from the F8n coming soon (perhaps followed by an F4n?).
Old 21st May 2018
Gear Addict
I've heard nothing about a "F4n" in the works, and even *if* it is coming, then it won't be happening this year.

And maybe the F4 price drop is linked to the F8 above it coming down in price as well.
Old 21st May 2018
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hah! Sneak peak: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc5Gi_WNvgo>

wish it were a firmware upgrade, now thse who have the F8 can't get the upgraded limiter or HP amp... grumble.
Old 18th July 2018
Gear Addict
Just got notified B&H has a Zoom F4 for $420 daily deal.

Pounce on it! Is the golden perfect recorder for any one to start out on, and that is unbelievably cheap.

Zoom F4 Multitrack Field Recorder with Timecode - 6 Inputs / ZF4
Old 19th November 2018
Gear Addict
Zoom F4 on sale for $350

And I thought US$350 for a *secondhand* Zoom F4 I've been seeing on eBay was crazy cheap.

B&H Photo F4 on sale for %24350&txt=https%3A%2F%2Flink.bandh.com%2FYesConnect%2FHt...6m2SPh96E%3D.enc

The first $100 off is the typical “Instant Savings”, & the second $100 discount is also applied instantly, but requires the Promo Code (which is 15535343757788641). Someone reported that they were not able to apply the Promo Code online, & had to call the store to get the deal.

Offer expires 11/20/18 11:59 EST

I imagine the deal means the F4n is in the works.

Hope that means a firmware update with the F4n goodies is also coming for the F4 a few months after the F4n is released... I want automix / advanced hybrid limiters / better headphone preamp on my F4 with the F8 v5 style firmware update!!
Old 11th December 2018
Gear Addict
There was a flash sale again for it at $350 at B&H, but is over again.

Anyway.... hopefully this means this is a regular sale price for the F4 in the future!
Old 17th October 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valseTrage View Post
To get an idea of the sound quality of my zoom f4, I made some comparison recordings against an RME UCX. I used 1 microphone at a fixed position and I did my best to keep the same instrument position as well. There is one piece on bass clarinet and one on clarinet, each piece is repeated twice on each recorder.
Hi there, I don't have a way to listen right now, but what was your impression of the Zoom, when comparing with your RME UCX? Regards, Steve
Old 24th October 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The F4 is now discontinued. Hope they release a new model with the 32bit recording and a colour screen.
Old 24th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Maybe it's called the F6??

(BTW, not currently marked 'discontinued' on the website - c/f the F8)
Old 26th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
The F4 is now discontinued. Hope they release a new model with the 32bit recording and a colour screen.
Where did you get this info? A google search for Zoom F4 discontinued finds no results.
Old 27th October 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
Where did you get this info? A google search for Zoom F4 discontinued finds no results.
I saw it on Facebook somewhere (specific I know!). I'm the admin of the Zoom F4/F6/F8 group.
Old 28th October 2019
Gear Addict
I hope it is not discontinued!

As I still think the F4 is a better recorder for many aspiring PSMs than an F6
Old 11th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I hope it is not discontinued!

As I still think the F4 is a better recorder for many aspiring PSMs than an F6
Why do you think so? I'm asking as a current F6 owner, who nearly purchased an F8 instead.
Old 11th November 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic View Post
Why do you think so? I'm asking as a current F6 owner, who nearly purchased an F8 instead.
As if you're an aspiring PSM then 32bits is pretty much irrelevant to that line of work, while dual media slots, full size XLR outputs, dedicated PFL keys for each channel, hirose powering, shortcut key, etc etc do make a difference!
Old 12th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
As if you're an aspiring PSM then 32bits is pretty much irrelevant to that line of work, while dual media slots, full size XLR outputs, dedicated PFL keys for each channel, hirose powering, shortcut key, etc etc do make a difference!
Got it. All good points. The lack of balanced outputs (even mini TA3) on the F6 is a real oversight.
Old 15th November 2019
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The ‘bad digital’ comments I read on this thread aren’t applicable. The F4 sounds good. I wonder what “bad digital” means in this day and age. Nothing out there today in the pro-sumer market sounds “bad” like a Blackface ADAT used to.
Old 18th November 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My Zoom F8 sounds better than most highend gear before 2000 ...
📝 Reply