The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KM184 vs. Earthworks SR30
Old 5th February 2007
Here for the gear

Question Neumann KM184 vs. Earthworks SR30

I want a microphone that will be great on finger style acoustic guitar. Which one of these mics is better suited? I really want to capture the life of the guitar... as naturally as possible. Thanks!
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I have been using the Neumann KM183 (Omni's) lately on Acoustic. They really sound great and cut through a dense rock mix. Haven't used the earthworks but I have heard great things.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

I know you are looking at SDC mics, but if you have not tried one, you may want to check out a ribbon mic such as the AEA R84. It's my favorite mic on fingerstyle, although not my first choice for strumming.
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

have to agree with siz. the r84 is wonderful for fingerstyle and for capturing the woody tone of a guitar. the neumann will give you lots of top end tizz. never cared for that sound.

bill
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

how are you guys placing the r84???

I tried it on acoustic a few times, and I could never get it sound the way I wanted... It always sounded a bit to wooly and dark... Not really any high end character to it at all... Although i did get the whole woody vibe.

I have actually been prefering an akg c451b over any other acoustic guitar mics... I got that same top end sizzle as the km , not quite as much depth, but i think it cuts better than the km
Old 5th February 2007
Lives for gear

Are you doing finger style guitar in a mix with a rhythm section, or is it solo or guitar vocal? The style of production will point you towards which mics to use.
Old 6th February 2007
Here for the gear

i am doing mostly acoustic guitar and vocals. very folky. i do have drums, keys, strings, etc on occasion... i usually do basics (drums, bass) in a studio, then bring everything home to overdub acoustic guitar and vocals, then mix back in the studio. I currently use a Neumann TLM 103 on my acoustics, but I'm looking for something that will have a different flavor without losing the amazing, clear, lively acoustic sound. I find that i have to shelf everything below 90HZ almost always with the large diaphram mic, that's why i'm thinking small diaphram condensor. thanks for the suggestion on the ribbon mic... I'll try one out for sure! i've heard great things about those mics. used the original RCA version of that mic once on vocals and loved it (that's the mic that used to sit - or still does - on David Letterman's desk, right?)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search