The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?
Old 28th April 2019 | Show parent
Amazon is happy to take the return, and I can get the correct box from B&H or Adorama here in the US. Just need to be patient and wait for it to get here. No pressing need right now (and I have a drawer full of other usable switches). Just like any GearSlut, I want what I want.

D.
Old 28th April 2019 | Show parent
Goddard and Chester were (are) a wonderfully wacky set of dudes.

D.

Bob See (RIP) and Elliot Crowe (sp?), Flash (Deep Purple), John Broderick. What a nut-house! I was such a young pup!

Bottom Line? My ex was a server there. Saw a lot of acts from the VIP sets (those were really just the tables down front if the truth be told). I vividly remember Dire Straights; coulda reached out and touched Mark Knopfler's shoe. I didn't but I coulda. Miles Davis!

D.
Old 29th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
Amazon is happy to take the return, and I can get the correct box from B&H or Adorama here in the US. Just need to be patient and wait for it to get here. No pressing need right now (and I have a drawer full of other usable switches). Just like any GearSlut, I want what I want.

D.
Thomann in the UK has the correct K & M stand, black button 29377:

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Mic-stand...ble-base-black

in stock for $157 delivered to the US.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/km_29377.htm#bewertung

You're right Doug, Amazon had no problem returning the latch switch 29375

Last edited by tailspn; 30th April 2019 at 12:36 AM..
Old 30th April 2019 | Show parent
Thanks. I'll check in with them.

D.
Old 30th April 2019 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Thumbs up

I made my own talkback box and use a Canford Audio Diecast Loudspeaker in the recording space.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-76-361_01.jpg   What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-76-361_02.jpg  
Old 8th May 2019 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailspn View Post
Thomann in the UK has the correct K & M stand, black button 29377:
I just got my new K&M 29377 from Thomann. Cheaper by far here in the USA to buy from Thomann than from Adorama or B&H, even with shipping, and it got here in a week! Very good call. Thanks.

And yes, the black button version is a PtT (non-latching) model. I have confirmed this

D.
Old 9th May 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
I just got my new K&M 29377 from Thomann. Cheaper by far here in the USA to buy from Thomann than from Adorama or B&H, even with shipping, and it got here in a week! Very good call. Thanks.

And yes, the black button version is a PtT (non-latching) model. I have confirmed this

D.
Looks neat, functional and elegant...low profile. The biggest plus is simply the ability to break it down to gooseneck plus base for carrying..it will pack much more 'flatly' ! I'm assuming you could mate this base with any integrated gooseneck xlr mic, not just K+M's product ? You could then add your own mic if wanted (either dynamic or condensor)
A gooseneck like this for example ? : https://www.altronics.com.au/p/c0415...ale-gooseneck/

I'm presuming you wouldn't get the mic status LED lighting, if phantom wasn't being used with this base (ie dynamic mic) ?

It's easy to see the benefit of an integrated gooseneck plus mic element...vs gooseneck plus conventional mic (with its additional weight and body length) !
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
It's easy to see the benefit of an integrated gooseneck plus mic element...vs gooseneck plus conventional mic (with its additional weight and body length) !
Yes, but with conventional mic, if you have a problem (if it falls for example), you just open your bag and change the mic.
I always have a doubt with integrated systems on location... if one composant fails everything is out of order.

Fred
The K&M base needs P48 to operate. So you would need to apply P48 even if you were to use a dynamic mic.

I am using some AT condenser gooseneck mic I had around the shop and it works fine.

D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
integrated systems
A gooseneck mic, an integrated system? Well. I suppose. But the concept of such a mic causing a catastrophic system failure? Be a sport. Carry two.

D.
Lives for gear
Quote:
A gooseneck mic, an integrated system? Well. I suppose. But the concept of such a mic causing a catastrophic system failure? Be a sport. Carry two.

D.
Well, it's a talkback system...maybe standalone, maybe integrated within the recording system ?

As for needing 48v for the dynamic mic...it's just a mechanical switch...although maybe the 48v is required for the LED indicator globes, or perhaps the smoothing circuit to prevent switching pops ?

Not a problem, as I'd be connecting it to a phantom equipped mic input anyway, but with a push to talk switch, who needs LEDS ...if you're pushing, it's on ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
As for needing 48v for the dynamic mic...it's just a mechanical switch...although maybe the 48v is required for the LED indicator globes, or perhaps the smoothing circuit to prevent switching pops ?
I guess is that the whole circuit just needs to be powered for the switch to work. Thinking that it is designed to be used with P48 mics, which pop if they are not kept powered, and that the switch is involved in polarizing caps and such for that application. So it isn't just a simple on-off switch in that regard. I have had the box apart and there is a printed circuit board in there for sure. Trace side facing out and I didn't go further.

D.
Lives for gear

Quote:

D.
That was inspired by Studer58, who wrote "integrated gooseneck"...

Of course I am not talking about a catastrophic system failure... I just say that a mic with a table stand and a cable is easy to replace if there is a problem. A gooseneck "all inclusive" ... if it doesn't work for some reason, you don't have anymore talkback.
I don't know how you work, but for me, without TB, I can't produce.
I guess you can't carry spares for everything but I have a spare TB to XLR in the kit.

The last spare I needed was, wait for it, a mixing panel. Had one.

D.
Old 10th May 2019
Lives for gear

In fact I do, but this is another subject.
๐Ÿ“ Reply