The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?
Old 20th April 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I am waiting word back about the Superlux mic base that may have a momentary PtT button in it. It looks nice, compact, large switch. It has a permanently attached cable which I don't fancy. It's less than $80.

Also, to make the record clear, I highly value those of us who are able the wield a soldering iron in anger and have the skills to make the little boxes and cables that we all need in a moment's notice. I do it, mostly, every day, on something that needs custom built, modified, shortened, lengthened, fixed, tweaked, messed about with. It is a valuable skill, one I am happy I was taught early in my career.

I worked early on for two firms that installed recording studio electronics (and later, video electronics in big post production houses), and learned from really good custom builders, wire-men, bench techs, studio maintenance guys, rock and roll back-line guys, and the like.

So don't get me wrong. I'm not against the custom build. Sometimes, it is just more efficient in time and money, to buy something off the shelf.

God bless all the DIYers.

D.

PS and a quick plug. I fix these things for cash if anyone has a need.
Old 24th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot View Post
I am waiting word back about the Superlux mic base that may have a momentary PtT button in it. It looks nice, compact, large switch. It has a permanently attached cable which I don't fancy. It's less than $80.
This might meet your specs too Doug, it seems to have the phantom pop suppression built in, and is $80 from Markertek: http://www.markertek.com/Attachments...ifications.pdf It also has a slide select switch under the base for push to talk or push to mute.

I'm wondering if a handheld CB radio or supermarket type of mic like this might not be suitable too: superlux pra 535 - Google Search

Since operating a PTT switch ties up one hand anyway, if located in the typical heavy base, at least a handheld mic like this has the PTT button inbuilt to the side of the casing, and has noise-cancelling circuitry inbuilt. So a producer could be holding the mic to their mouth with one hand and the score or notes with other....and not tethered to a fixed point for their mouth (as determined by the gooseneck height/position) ?

Additionally, if one wants to release the PTT switch from both the gooseneck/heavy base AND the mic itself, the handheld momentary switch is another option, and Switchcraft have a purpose-made unit: ED903 Switchcraft Inc. | Switches | DigiKey. It was shown by jwh1192 in a pic from an earlier post in this thread, but I din't know then that it was a Switchcraft product, rather than DIY'd

I guess if freeing up both hands was the main goal, a momentary foot switch is yet another option ?

Last edited by studer58; 24th April 2019 at 05:58 PM..
Lives for gear

i've been using genelec 1029 or fostex 6301 (the digital nd version lately) for ages - what in my case is more important than the speaker though (besides the fact that the fostex is single band and can fold a stereo signal to mono) is the circuit before the speaker.

my talkback speaker is fed by a matrix which is usually getting the pfl bus plus all talkback signals (monitor/foh engineer, conductor, producer etc.) and sometimes a low level broadcast feed or the promotor's mic etc.

the musicians and the conductor get a mix-minus feed so no danger of creating feedback even when they are using a talkback mic.
Old 24th April 2019
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Personally, I don't like mechanical switches anywhere in a signal path...

Turning up a fader, as required, is pop-free and you get to adjust the gain required for the mic/situation. A Rane MS1 or small battery powered mic pre (SD MixPre or MM1) is compact and worry free.

Having a variety of DIY and off-shelf options is a good thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
Personally, I don't like mechanical switches anywhere in a signal path...

Turning up a fader, as required, is pop-free and you get to adjust the gain required for the mic/situation. A Rane MS1 or small battery powered mic pre (SD MixPre or MM1) is compact and worry free.

Having a variety of DIY and off-shelf options is a good thing.
In general terms I'd agree with you Ron, and certainly when it comes to level setting and tweaking of the recording mics, switch-noise avoidance is paramount.

However I'll argue that when it comes to talkback, each case is slightly different: if the engineer is also the producer, then the simple action of turning up the pot or fader vs pressing a talk-switch can add another second to the conversation exchange process...and it's vital that such exchanges run very smoothly and quickly. Forgetting to lift a fader (if the engineer is doing this for the producer) can lead to a few lost words, which subliminally raises anxiety ?

I certainly concur that a scratchy 'pop' preceding each exchange can also sound clunky and unprofessional...and if anything I'd prefer that the producer's voice is conveyed in as natural and 'hi-fi' a manner as possible.

Ultimately I think the talkback-on-location issue has to be resolved by each operator according to their own preferences and requirements...and these can be dictated as much by the number of people in the 'control room', their job sharing roles...and how much equipment is necessary to accomplish those goals.

Some engineers are happy to use latching switches, others want only push-to-talk, some want PA style speakers to cover all musicians or choristers, others require only enough wattage and clarity/coverage to converse with the conductor (who then conveys the essence of the conversation onward to the choir/orchestra).

There seem to be enough technological solutions out there to address all of these problems...and for some, suitable talkback is a continually evolving pursuit in itself, and a case of trial and error too !

To that end I fully agree that a combination of DIY and off the shelf solutions most likely point the way to success
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Talkback: Behringer MS16.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-20180708_154613.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern View Post
Talkback: Behringer MS16.
Good approach...the mini-PA !

I'm sure just having 2 spaced speakers like that already gives a clarity and dispersion/coverage improvement over a single point-source speaker....and gives the players a sense of inclusion in the talkback and re-take process (compared with having it all relayed/mediated via the conductor only)

You'd also be running each box at a more relaxed volume (compared with a single speaker), and so presumably below any 'self noise' or innate hiss region ? Do you use the TRS 1/4" mic input...or the unbalanced RCA inputs ?

How do you attach them to your mic stands...is there a 3/8" threaded insert located in the underneath base...or is it sitting on a plate or shelf ? Do they each require mains connection (ie an amp in each box)..or does the 'control box' only contain the amps for both boxes, and the 2nd box is thus passive only, and receives powered output from the control box ?

Not to mention that the pair are less money than a single new Fostex 6301 ... As Plush would say: "Strong move' !

Last edited by studer58; 24th April 2019 at 06:22 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Dear Studer58,

Everything you wrote about the use of this pair is correct, musicians feel involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 View Post
You'd also be running each box at a more relaxed volume (compared with a single speaker), and so presumably below any 'self noise' or innate hiss region ? Do you use the TRS 1/4" mic input...or the unbalanced RCA inputs ?
I use the RCA inputs.

Quote:
How do you attach them to your mic stands...is there a 3/8" threaded insert located in the underneath base...or is it sitting on a plate or shelf ? Do they each require mains connection (ie an amp in each box)..or does the 'control box' only contain the amps for both boxes, and the 2nd box is thus passive only, and receives powered output from the control box ?
I modified the pair and took away the power section in a outside little box to avoid complete hum etc. This box is on the floor. In the picture, it is close to the stage and is linked via a cable to the speaker on the left.
I put the speakers with glue on these Vesa:
Unbekannter Artikel – Thomann Switzerland

Yes, the control box contain the amps for both boxes.

I am lucky to work with really great microphones and I can tell you I have really no noise from this stuff. The signal comes from one of my XTC output and I have a remote for the Madiface XT in the control room with a switch on it (push to talk).
I can also change the output level of the signal directly from the remote software, so it is really relax to work that way for the TB.

Super cheap, super efficient, happy artists and happy producer...

Fred.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-20190424_200848.jpg  

Last edited by fred2bern; 24th April 2019 at 08:06 PM..
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I think I found a ready-made solution for my talk-back mic base search.

29375 Microphone table base

I believe that this is the non-latching PtT base (K&M makes a few different models in this style) and it looks nice on the table, something my Hammond box switch does not, particularly. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, around $150, and when I went to B&H to order it, it would have taken 10 weeks to get here! I'll have it from Amazon on Friday.

D.
Old 25th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think I found a ready-made solution for my talk-back mic base search.

29375 Microphone table base

I believe that this is the non-latching PtT base (K&M makes a few different models in this style) and it looks nice on the table, something my Hammond box switch does not, particularly. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, around $150, and when I went to B&H to order it, it would have taken 10 weeks to get here! I'll have it from Amazon on Friday.

D.
Seems to tick most of your boxes, albeit at a highish price....looks great, low and sleek, xlr connectors onboard rather than cable, noise-free switching. A few anomalies too: not sure the 'phantom present' LED is a must have, but the unmuted mic LED (if that's' what the other one is for) is nice.

K+M are very sparse with their specs and data....even a $30 Chinese combined gooseneck/base will tell you if their PTT button is latching, and normally muted (or on)...one could wish for such detail from this company too, as it's kinda intrinsic to a purchasing decision !

That's K&M though....their catalogs and product listings don't attempt to pad out with fluffy sales hype or feature-listings: they probably figure you already know what you want when you buy their gear ?

Hopefully there's enough clearance around the collar of the vertical (female) xlr to accomodate any prospective gooseneck ...but that's the same issue with any standalone base. At least K&M's own goose necks would fit, in a worst case scenario.

Those niggles (and cost) aside, it looks like a robust and elegant solution to your requirements
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Dear Studer58,

Everything you wrote about the use of this pair is correct, musicians feel involved.

I use the RCA inputs.

I modified the pair and took away the power section in a outside little box to avoid complete hum etc. This box is on the floor. In the picture, it is close to the stage and is linked via a cable to the speaker on the left.
I put the speakers with glue on these Vesa:
Unbekannter Artikel – Thomann Switzerland

Yes, the control box contain the amps for both boxes.

I am lucky to work with really great microphones and I can tell you I have really no noise from this stuff. The signal comes from one of my XTC output and I have a remote for the Madiface XT in the control room with a switch on it (push to talk).
I can also change the output level of the signal directly from the remote software, so it is really relax to work that way for the TB.

Super cheap, super efficient, happy artists and happy producer...

Fred.
Thanks for that additional detail Fred, you've certainly gone that extra mile in isolating the power section in a separate box, which allows you to use the unbalanced inputs (RCA) ? At such a low price no cares about negating the warranty !

The Thomann link above didn't work for me, but I assume it's a flat plate or frame to give stability to the box on the mic stand ?

Nice that you have control room adjustment of all the crucial playback volume parameters....speaker playback for all (to illustrate a tricky section) is probably more time effective than pausing the session for headphone playback (for the chosen few !), so you've created a useful and workable solution, at relatively low cost too
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks for that additional detail Fred, you've certainly gone that extra mile in isolating the power section in a separate box, which allows you to use the unbalanced inputs (RCA) ? At such a low price no cares about negating the warranty !

The Thomann link above didn't work for me, but I assume it's a flat plate or frame to give stability to the box on the mic stand ?

Nice that you have control room adjustment of all the crucial playback volume parameters....speaker playback for all (to illustrate a tricky section) is probably more time effective than pausing the session for headphone playback (for the chosen few !), so you've created a useful and workable solution, at relatively low cost too
Thanks for your post.

The Vesa is K&M nΒ°19685. Of course K&M is not the cheapest, but I'm fully K&M equipped for everything.
There is another Vesa system, cheaper, from Millenium.

The additional costs are 2 Speakon plugs and 2 Speakon Chassis connectors, some few meters of power cable and a plastic box.

The 2 K&M Vesa mount are 2/3 of the Behringer price. A small suitcase...

I'm sure I'm still around 3/4 the price of a Fostex 6301!
And when I setup the stage, I can listen to music in stereo and this is really cool.

Fred.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks for your post.

The Vesa is K&M nΒ°19685. Of course K&M is not the cheapest, but I'm fully K&M equipped for everything.
There is another Vesa system, cheaper, from Millenium.

The additional costs are 2 Speakon plugs and 2 Speakon Chassis connectors, some few meters of power cable and a plastic box.

The 2 K&M Vesa mount are 2/3 of the Behringer price. A small suitcase...

I'm sure I'm still around 3/4 the price of a Fostex 6301!
And when I setup the stage, I can listen to music in stereo and this is really cool.

Fred.
Yes those slide-on/screw tight locking VESA mounts look ideal for the job....I'm going to search out something similar for my 6301BX ! It would have to be a clamping fitting, as there's only a single screw hole in the base of it.

In fact I may even 'go stereo' with that, as there's a 1/4" socket on the rear (Ext Spkr: 8 ohm load, 10W) .....but I doubt that Fostex make a passive 6301 for that purpose, so the cost goes up !!
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It did take some time to filter through the K&M info, but it seems they make models of this base that are either latching (black button) or non-latching PtT (grey button). I'll have one in hand tomorrow, grey button, and I will confirm that the information is correct.

D.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes those slide-on/screw tight locking VESA mounts look ideal for the job....I'm going to search out something similar for my 6301BX ! It would have to be a clamping fitting, as there's only a single screw hole in the base of it.
That hole is a standard 3/8 mic stand thread. You can put it directly on a mic stand with 3/8" 16 or get a 5/8" 27 to 3/8" 16 adapter.

All the best,
-mark
Old 26th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue View Post
That hole is a standard 3/8 mic stand thread. You can put it directly on a mic stand with 3/8" 16 or get a 5/8" 27 to 3/8" 16 adapter.

All the best,
-mark
We might be talking about different items... the 6301 speaker has a pair of small screws in the base and top which are removed and replaced with these knurled finger nuts when the Fostex support bracket is used. https://www.thomann.de/gb/fostex_eb6...mounting_2.htm

However that bracket doesn't facilitate attaching the speaker to a mic stand. Maybe the VESA bracket could attach to the 6301 via that single screw, but it wouldn't be too secure ?

EDIT: maybe you're referring to this little (yet highly priced...over $15 for a thread adapter !!) problem solver....which is specifically aimed at this speaker ? https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/7...-female-thread

A bit more detail here, on the 'Top Hat' from Canford: https://www.canford.co.uk/ProductRes...e%20thread.pdf. I still maintain it's the best example of "price gouging" I've seen in many months...maybe they have it specially machined in-house ?

Supporting a reasonably weighty speaker via a single small M5 screw in the base doesn't sound ideal, but I'm sure they've sold dozens of 'em !

Last edited by studer58; 26th April 2019 at 06:25 AM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
the 6301 speaker has a pair of small screws in the base and top which are removed and replaced with these knurled finger nuts when the Fostex support bracket is used.
I've stuck my nose in this thread quite a bit already, but here's what I did with the little Fostex guys. I simply drilled out the weird-sized threading in the speaker box (and yes, you need to take the speaker apart to do this. Not a big deal) and epoxied a new 3/8" nut to the inside of the box. I have two or three of these, mod'd like this and I have never had them come apart or fail to mount on a regular mic stand.

FWIW.

D.

Last edited by tourtelot; 26th April 2019 at 10:33 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I've stuck my nose in this thread quite a bit already, but here's what I did with the little Fostex guys. I simply drilled out the weird-sized threading in the speaker box (and yes, you need to take the speaker apart to do this. Not a big deal) and epoxied a new 5/16" nut to the inside of the box. I have two or three of these, mod'd like this and I have never had them come apart or fail to mount on a regular mic stand.

FWIW.

D.
Good advice and practice Doug....and ultimately includes recognition that the little M5 screw in the base is patently inadequate for sustaining stand supporting duty.

For maximum support and integrity, it would thus be hard to beat this 4.5" 4.5" plate by K&M, already mentioned above by Fred, with 4 new screw holes drilled into the 6301 speaker base: https://daleproaudio.com/collections...-display-mount
You can't really better sheer contact surface area...but for vertical speaker mounting, the swivel joint is unnecessary!

My alternate solution (bypassing the overpriced Canford adapter) would be to grind down the exposed thread on a 5/8 female to 3/8 male adapter, and then cut a new M5 thread into the ground-down section. However installing a bigger thread altogether as Doug suggests is probably a better strategy !

Last edited by studer58; 26th April 2019 at 06:55 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Brian Wilson pushes to talk, Pet Sounds sessions, 1965 (or '66 ?)
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-brian-wilson-pet-sounds.jpg  
Old 27th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A quick metal machine shop question: if I want to tap a 3/8 mic thread, what's the correct guide/pilot-hole drill bit diameter I need to drill, before cutting the thread into the same hole ?

And....is the 3/8 mic stand thread UNC or BSW density ?

Last edited by studer58; 27th April 2019 at 03:31 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
5/16" for 75% cut. If you are considering tapping the metal box of the Fostex speaker, it won't work. Way too thin of a material. That's why I needed to through-drill and then epoxy the correct steel nut inside.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
5/16" for 75% cut. If you are considering tapping the metal box of the Fostex speaker, it won't work. Way too thin of a material. That's why I needed to through-drill and then epoxy the correct steel nut inside.

D.
OK that makes sense, is there any point in adding a thin square of drilled steel plate also, as a load spreader between nut and speaker box wall ? I could 3/8 tap it AND add the nut ?

I thought I'd add this 3/8 to 5/8 adapter permanently to the underside of the base, with the nut inside the box giving it additional locking to the base.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-adapter.jpg  

Last edited by studer58; 27th April 2019 at 03:57 PM..
Old 28th April 2019
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I also have used the Fostex 6301B speaker. That said, I've used all sorts of speakers to do this task, depending on the size and scope of the session.

On larger dates that include monitor rigs, I've tied into the monitor desk and had them keep the channel live, so it can feed into the applicable monitor speakers and/or IEMs.

I have used our comm system too. Our Chaos Audio Bitch Box is perfect for this situation. I have also used our RTS Biscuit Box for the same task. What's cool about using a communication speaker station is the fact that you can also use the signal lights for certain situations when making a sound is not appropriate. If necessary, you can also talk back to the control room when using the stage mics is not accessible or germane.

I attached an image of our Chaos Audio Intercom 301BB speaker station for your review.
Attached Thumbnails
What Are You Guys Using For Talkback Speaker?-05-chaos-audio-bitch-box-you-receiving-me.jpg  
Old 28th April 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
I also have used the Fostex 6301B speaker. That said, I've used all sorts of speakers to do this task, depending on the size and scope of the session.

On larger dates that include monitor rigs, I've tied into the monitor desk and had them keep the channel live, so it can feed into the applicable monitor speakers and/or IEMs.

I have used our comm system too. Our Chaos Audio Bitch Box is perfect for this situation. I have also used our RTS Biscuit Box for the same task. What's cool about using a communication speaker station is the fact that you can also use the signal lights for certain situations when making a sound is not appropriate. If necessary, you can also talk back to the control room when using the stage mics is not accessible or germane.

I attached an image of our Chaos Audio Intercom 301BB speaker station for your review.
It's a well thought out box...and system: https://www.goddarddesign.com/chaosweb.html
Having an integrated signal light is a great idea, but unfortunately we're often having to kludge something in later...as a DIY add-on.

Seeing the handle on top reminds me that it's yet another helpful omission from the slippery-sided, heavy brick of a speaker (6301 again)...something like this might work as another add-on:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supp...950222114.html

Last edited by studer58; 28th April 2019 at 06:47 PM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Our Chaos Audio Bitch Box is perfect
OMG! Chaos Audio. I have not heard those two words put together in well over 40 years. I started my audio career with See Factor in New York; a lighting company with whom one Aerosmith tour taught me two things. 1. I loved living on a bus and being a part of the dysfunctional family that toured arena rock shows. And 2. I didn't really like working on the lighting crew and the sound guys looked like they were having much more fun. That many years later . .

D.

Sorry it's early and I think my post didn't make too much sense in a linear fashion. Chaos Audio was spawned by See Factor and was the in-house intercom manufacturer in my days. Really good intercoms by the way. Blew everything else outta the water. Loud! And the first, I think, to use police car lights as "call" lights. You couldn't miss the call. Now, it's "standard equipment". In the day? Radical.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
And back to the thread already in progress; the K&M mic base that I was so happy to find on Amazon for immediate delivery? The one with the grey push-button? For $150?

Wrong!

That one is the latching model. S**t!

The black push button is the PtT model, still a 6-10 week wait from B&H and almost $200. Sometimes you eat the bear . . .

D.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I thought I'd add this 3/8 to 5/8 adapter permanently to the underside of the base, with the nut inside the box giving it additional locking to the base.
All these ideas are good ones. I came to the conclusion the the case of the Fostex could take the everyday stress of just a backing nut but the threaded plate is a better choice.

And the adapter as well. I actually think, without looking, that I added those on mine.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All these ideas are good ones. I came to the conclusion the the case of the Fostex could take the everyday stress of just a backing nut but the threaded plate is a better choice.

And the adapter as well. I actually think, without looking, that I added those on mine.

D.
Thanks Doug....time to get out in the shed and find that 3/8 tap set !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
And back to the thread already in progress; the K&M mic base that I was so happy to find on Amazon for immediate delivery? The one with the grey push-button? For $150?

Wrong!

That one is the latching model. S**t!

The black push button is the PtT model, still a 6-10 week wait from B&H and almost $200. Sometimes you eat the bear . . .

D.
Bummer...I had a suspicion about that lack of detail on their spec sheet ! I'm guessing Amazon won't do a return and reissue of the black switch version ? Is there a DIY switch substitution you could make, like a normally open type for the latching one ?
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Bob Goddard started at the Fillmore East in the late 1960’s and from there, went on to design some of the earliest truly robust touring control equipment for See Factor Industry. This included the first pulse-width-modulated split/dipless crossfaderβ€”for which he received his first U.S. patent. Goddard and John Chester went on to design one of the first high performance and reliable intercom systems, produced by Chester's Chaos Audio. John Chester also designed and built the first Chaos Audio Mixer for The Bottom Line, NYC in 1974.

Now, back to the show...

Quote:
It's a well thought out box...and system: https://www.goddarddesign.com/chaosweb.html
Having an integrated signal light is a great idea, but unfortunately we're often having to kludge something in later...as a DIY add-on.

Seeing the handle on top reminds me that it's yet another helpful omission from the slippery-sided, heavy brick of a speaker (6301 again)...something like this might work as another add-on:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supp...950222114.html
πŸ“ Reply