The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Let's listen to some stereo mic's
Old 28th January 2007
Lives for gear

Talking Let's listen to some stereo mic's

I'm trying out three stereo mics. Last night I had my friend come over and play some piano. I set up the three mics as close to the same position at the piano I could. They are right outside the piano about mid way between the body and the top of the lid. So this is the same performance with three different stereo mic's recording it. They all went through two channels of my Grace 801.

What do you think?
Attached Files

A.mp3 (929.1 KB, 597 views)

B.mp3 (929.1 KB, 470 views)

C.mp3 (929.1 KB, 431 views)

Old 28th January 2007
Gear Addict

I think A sounds the nicest by far.
The stereo image of C is very different from A. It sounds to me like microphone C is sending a m/s coded signal with M on left channel and S on the right channel.
(?)

Cheers,
Hans
Old 28th January 2007
Gear Nut

stick with a
Old 30th January 2007
Lives for gear

Here's some short samples of a brass quartet I did yesterday. Same deal, the mics are the same but labeled differently.

So, doesn't anyone want to know what the mics are? If this was the So Much Gear, So Little Time there would be 40 people telling me that the mics weren't positioned correctly and 20 people telling me that you can't make a decent recording with Grace pre-amps!

I guess I shouldn't complain!
Attached Files

br a.mp3 (605.1 KB, 387 views)

br b.mp3 (605.1 KB, 587 views)

br c.mp3 (605.1 KB, 435 views)

Old 30th January 2007
hrn
Lives for gear

I want to know what mics you have used.

A on both would be my choice. Even though I think it has a bit of treble hype.

Hans
Old 30th January 2007
Gear Nut

Actually, it's fun not to know the mics...at least not right away. (I guess that's why we are the better forum) heh
What would be more fun is trying to match up the mics. I like mic 'a' on the piano and mic 'b' on the brass.

I'm guessing mic piano 'c' is brass 'a'

Someone else stick their neck out and take a guess
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Congrats, first, on making such decent sounding recordings with a Grace preamp.

On piano, my comments are as follows. On this sort of jazz, I like to cut straight to a staccato section (for transients) -- e.g. 0:08-0:12 and a sustain section (for decay, presence) -- e.g. 0:25 etc.
A: really nice presence overall; I can hear the transient decay and the natural "extra" pedal at 0:09 on the Dm7 chord LH near middle C, and I can hear the natural texture near 0:35 going from G7(-13)-->C7(-13)-->Fm7
B: comparatively lightweight, although more presence (in this case, harsh) on the high Ab near 0:10. In general, the sound doesn't "carry" as well. I wish there were more sustain from the G7-->C7-->Fm7 near 0:35, but since I already heard "A" I conclude that the microphone response decays away faster. Similar to my own comparision between AT 4050 (sound died faster) and AKG 414 (mic registered the long decay of sound better) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-location-recording-amp-production/95555-akg-414-vs-at4050-steinway-grand.html
C: in contrast, I'm hearing more hanging on of sound in what I took to be the stacatto section near 0:10. I can hear the extra pedal, so I find it tough to believe there is actual pedaling in these spots, which means the microphone response is different from what I already liked in "A". In the 0:35 section, I can hear sustain between the same chords, but not as warmly.

For brass I won't be as detailed:
A: too harsh
B: too lightweight
C: just right
Old 31st January 2007
Gear Addict

My guess would be piano A and brass C are the same, maybe with a Blumlein configuration (a lot more room sound n the brass example) , and piano B and brass A are the same because of the sharp sound.

I'm very curious wich is the piano A mic (s).
Hans
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I enjoyed mic C a lot on Piano...I'm waiting to know what it is now
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

One mic is a LD vintage tube mic.

One mic is a ribbon

One mic is a $350 SDC

That's all I'm telling you today!
Old 31st January 2007
hrn
Lives for gear

When I listen again, I don't like the A's anymore. To harsh as pianoman said.

I Think the B and C has the same vibe and it's a matter of choice both on piano and brass.

My new one:

On piano: C and B are kind of similar but my new choice will be C and I guess that is the LD and the B the ribbon.

On brass: My new choice is C and I think that's the ribbon and B the LD

...and the A is the SD

But, there is something wrong with the stereo image here and there.

Hans
Old 31st January 2007
Lives for gear

I like Piano A - wouldn't consider it harsh at all. Piano C is also nice. I'd like a stereo spread somewhere between A&C.

I like Brass C. I'd also expect Piano A and Brass C to be the same setup. Blumlein Ribbons wouldn't surprise me.
Old 2nd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zemlin View Post
I like Piano A - wouldn't consider it harsh at all.

I like Brass C. I'd also expect Piano A and Brass C to be the same setup.
Nor did I. To clarify, I felt Brass A was harsh, not Piano A. I like Piano A and Brass C best, and can live with Piano C but not Piano B, Brass A or Brass B.
Old 2nd February 2007
Lives for gear

I thought Piano A sounded really nice, but I thought the stereo image was too wide. Brass A was very harsh. B sucked on both piano and brass. Piano C was okay, but not anything like A. Brass C was my favorite for the brass recording, although I wasn't completely blown away with the sound.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

I only listened to the brass. if the goal is to choose a mic that is good for "classical" brass, then for me it is C. B was marginal, but lacked body. A was like fingernails on a blackboard.

The performance sounded the same (but I only listened once to A & C and twice to B) so I am assuming slightly different mic positions (and a few inches can make it or break it) but the same micpres.

I tried to not listen for the tell-tale increased micpre noise (often indicating a ribbon) but it was hard to not imagine what effect a good room might have, as off-axis response is a fact of life with classical. In fact, the room is often considered another instrument.

In this scenario I vote for C, which sounds to me like a ribbon. B to me is the "vintage stereo condenser" (which likely means SM69, SM2, Schoeps, or older AKG).

Rich
Old 4th February 2007
Lives for gear

On the piano, the image of A sound open. But, I really like how the C mic sounds. Its frequency response souns really soft. C my choice for its smoothness, and A for its wideness and overall frequency response. I mean, I would use C if I wanted an "old" piano sound. And A if I was going for a modern (wide, clean, balanced) sound.

On the brass, I can hear lots of room sound with mic A. Hi frequency responce on the mic A sounds kinda harsh to me. Im not shure if Mic C is the same mic C that was used on the piano. But again, mike C sounds soft. I would stick with C for this one.

I dont like mic B at all.

Last edited by nandoanalog; 4th February 2007 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: awful english
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Maniac

My guess is that B for brass is SD (I've never evaluated brass recordings, really, but this is my impression of what SD would sound like).

On piano, I tried SD (Rode NT-5) and all of your recordings sounded more full than my own experience into an FMR. I'd guess B is SD, but that is only a guess.

So, Bongo... when do we get to learn? Or did I miss something in this thread?
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
=On the piano, the image of A sound open. But, I really like how the C mic sounds. Its frequency response souns really soft. C my choice for its smoothness, and A for its wideness and overall frequency response. I mean, I would use C if I wanted an "old" piano sound. And A if I was going for a modern (wide, clean, balanced) sound.

I totally agree! Piano sounds good!!! Bongo - Did you have it touched up recently???
Sounds more open than it did last year! Is it in open main room or in your both that faces the big pond?

- mp
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

The Secret's Revealed!

Piano:
A=Royer SF-12
B=AudioTechnica ATM825
C=Neumann SM69

Brass:
A=825
B=SM69
C=SF-12

Matt, the piano was in the small room with both doors open and a very good piano player playing!
Old 20th February 2007
Lives for gear

I just knew that the c mic on brass, was the a mic on piano...
Now I know I want a royer. Thanks.

You gotta admit.... I have good ears ,huh? fuuck
Old 20th February 2007
Gear Addict

Here's a Royer SF-12 on piano (pianist is Hiromi Uehara). I LOVE the SF-12 or SF-24 on piano!!!

ftp://telmedia.telarc.com/telarc/83631/83631-2-m.mp3

Last edited by MBishopSFX; 20th February 2007 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: URL
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Piano:
A=Royer SF-12
B=AudioTechnica ATM825
C=Neumann SM69

Brass:
A=825
B=SM69
C=SF-12

Matt, the piano was in the small room with both doors open and a very good piano player playing!
Thanks for the clips bongo, i was looking for some on the SM69 tube. Considering renting one and buying. Those clips totally reinforced the interest.

(I know the thread is old : ) )
Russell
Old 25th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
I enjoyed mic C a lot on Piano...
+1thumbsup (the one that I picked up before having read the key)
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

Damn those Royer folks, and you too! LOL You sure sold me on that mic. Very natural and open to me. I am a rank amateur but thought that A on piano sound most like what I think a piano sounds like.

Now, how can I afford and justify the SF-12??
Old 26th February 2011
Lives for gear

I think I need to invest in an SF-12....I love both of the samples
Old 26th February 2011
Arrow

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remot...-piano.html#27

More stereo mics in this thread. I've linked to the post with the stereo ribbon...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search